News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wide toll plazas

Started by Alps, October 28, 2009, 08:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

From the looks of the San Francisco Bay Bridge (I saw a photo at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091029/ap_on_re_us/us_bay_bridge_closure_27), it appears that there are a total of 20 lanes in the tolled direction, including high-speed toll lanes.  I'm not counting the George Washington Bridge because it's two separate plazas and all of the other wide plazas in NJ are around 15.  Is there any single plaza that can beat 20?

Ian

I don't think I have ever seen any toll plaza thats over 20 lanes! A lot of the bigger plazas I know off are around 15.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

yanksfan6129

The largest toll plaza in Asia is on the Gurgaon Expressway between Gurgaon, India and Delhi, India. It has 32 lanes! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Toll_Gate.jpg

There are two that are wider than that plaza, but I'm not sure which plazas those are. I must do research!

myosh_tino

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 28, 2009, 08:35:27 PM
From the looks of the San Francisco Bay Bridge (I saw a photo at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091029/ap_on_re_us/us_bay_bridge_closure_27), it appears that there are a total of 20 lanes in the tolled direction, including high-speed toll lanes.  I'm not counting the George Washington Bridge because it's two separate plazas and all of the other wide plazas in NJ are around 15.  Is there any single plaza that can beat 20?
You are correct.  The Bay Bridge toll plaza has 20 total lanes, 4 are reserved for HOV 3+, 6 are reserved for FasTrak (California's electronic toll collection system) and the remaining 10 lanes accept cash or FasTrak.

The 5 FasTrak lanes located in the middle of the toll plaza are not "high speed" unless you consider a 25 MPH speed limit as high speed.  Lane 20 (counting from the left) is also a FasTrak lane and it's supposed to be an "open road tolling" lane meaning cars using that lane can drive through without slowing down.

The 20 lanes have to squeeze into 5 total lanes on the bridge and to keep things relatively orderly, metering lights are used when traffic is heavy.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Chris

St. Arnould in Autoroute A10 near Paris, France. 36 lanes

I think this may be the widest toll plaza in France/Europe:

Brandon

Pre-I-Pass days, the Tri-State Tollway boasted some plazas that were either 20 lanes or almost 20 lanes wide.  Some of the sets of plazas were actually split into two separate (one north, one south) 16 lane plazas (for a total of 32 lanes between the two).  Now, with the I-Pass (EZ-Pass) Only lanes on the mainline, those have been cut down to six to eight lanes per direction.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

The connector between the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway has 26 lanes (24 mainline with two offset at their own plaza):

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=qrpyqh8t7jw5&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=8239291&encType=1

vdeane

Why does that one on A10 have so many lanes?  It' doesn't look like it has enough traffic to justify them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PAHighways

Widest toll plaza in the Commonwealth goes to Exit 20/Mid-County Interchange at 17 lanes.

Chris

Les Eprunes toll plaza on the French A5 just outside Paris has 47 lanes.

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Duke87

Quote from: AARoads on October 29, 2009, 11:45:23 AM
The connector between the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway has 26 lanes

And 16E/18E has 24 on the mainline plaza.

Also, the GWB actually has three separate plazas:
Lower level (11)
Upper level (12)
Palisades Pkwy (7)

for a total of 30 lanes. In one direction, mind you.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

njroadhorse

There's a weird one on the Mass Pike at Exit 18 in Boston, idk the exact amount of lanes, but it has a lot of little toll plazas all over the place in the interchange.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Hellfighter

I guess the Toll Authorities have a Wide Stance?  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.