News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

When Your Travel Direction Differs from Route Direction

Started by AlexandriaVA, November 25, 2016, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

US 90 Business on the Crescent City Connection in NOLA.  It does a full 180, as EB crossing the Mississippi River is heading due west, and the same for WB which heads due east to get on the Westbank of NOLA.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

7/8

The portion of QC 141 between QC 121 and Mont Orford is signed the opposite of the travel direction. "141 Nord" is actually South and vice versa. Also, many portions of 141 are more E/W than N/S

Pink Jazz

I-85 is almost entirely more east-west than north-south even though it is signed north-south.  Also, I-81 in TN and VA is more east-west than north-south.

sparker

Surprised none of the CA posters have brought up the giant reverse "C" that is CA 18.  Granted, it's a double-ended approach route to the San Bernardino Mountains recreational areas, but since the late 60's has taken on a second role as part of an alternate way to get to Barstow & Vegas from the western part of L.A. metro (my dad was using it as early as 1964 when visiting cousins in L.V.).  Tellingly, Caltrans largely omits directional banners south of Lucerne Valley, but west from there, all the way out to the terminus at CA 138 near Valyermo, there are sporadic "EAST" & "WEST" indicators, particularly at the I-15 interchanges.  One of the odd things about CA 18 is that except for a couple of miles at the San Bernardino terminus (Waterman Ave.) and the shared connector with CA 38 east of Big Bear, there's hardly a definitive N-S alignment to be found along the route aside from those dictated by topology!

bing101

CA-51 in Sacramento is really a North/South Freeway but is signed as East/West Business 80.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_80_Business_(Sacramento,_California)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66

US-66 is North/South in Illinois.
The west end of I-210 from Sylmar to Pasadena is North/South but is signed East/West.

bing101

US-50 East/West in a previous alignment was North/South from Sacramento to Tracy when it was co-signed with CA-99.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_101_in_Washington#/media/File:Start_of_US_101_in_Washington..JPG

This sign is interesting both say north but on opposite directions.

sparker

Between 1926 and 1964 US 99 ran east-west for about 120 miles from central Los Angeles to Indio; partially cosigned with US 60 and fully cosigned after WWII with US 70.  Aside from classic "sign-salad" multiplexes, the elimination of convolutions such as this relatively awkward US 99 alignment was a principal driving force behind the 1964 CA renumbering effort.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.