News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Coloring the Utah Beehive

Started by Rover_0, February 10, 2012, 04:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

I've mentioned to UDOT the concept of using color on the Utah state highway shield, wherein my message has been sent to the appropriate UDOT employee on what the deal is. I mentioned South Carolina and how they went from a black-and-white shield to a blue-and-white one, as well as Colorado's, Vermont's, and some others (Washington and their occasional non-BGS green-background signs were mentioned by them). I also stated that these signs would be put up as the old black-and-white ones are taken down, and I should've mentioned that these signs could also help unify a single beehive design.

I also sent them some sample pictures to give them an idea on what the shield would look like, and I left out red, black/yellow, and orange in order to avoid confusion with common caution/warning/construction signs. Here are some example mockups (colors are approximate):

Light Blue on Black Background

Blue BG

Brown BG

Light Blue BG

Green BG

Purple BG

What looks best to each of you? Would any of you give any of these a chance?
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

US71

Brown for Scenic Byways would be good

Light Blue on Black gives me eyestrain :(

Maybe the blue background.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

The light blue backround looks the best!  I do not think the FHWTA has guidelines for state shields.  If so, what can a state get for violating the rule?  State shields are not funded federally.  The Feds cannot cut that out.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

corco

The problem with the backgrounds is that you'd either have to put on a colored label, which is more maintenance, or use different color sheeting, which is a lot more expensive. That's why Idaho is doing away with the brown shields- it's not cost effective to have so much of the sign in color.

Green might be cheaper since it's widely used- I'm not sure

Takumi

My favorite is the light blue background one.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

xonhulu

The green and brown backgrounds looked best to me.  Great idea, by the way.

Milepost61

Blue and brown look the best to me. I like the idea of the brown for scenic and/or historic routes.

J N Winkler

I am not real keen on any of the options above.  All of them, with the exception of the two that use light blue, fail to follow the rule of tincture, and I would reject them on that basis.  I do not think light blue is a MUTCD-approved color.  The design with the light-blue beehive suffers from lack of contrast; the design with the beehive against a light blue field seems visually busy.

One approach that could be tried is to substitute some other color for the black areas in the existing design.  If the substitute color is dark, then the resulting design will comply with the rule of tincture.  Different colors could then be tried for the digits (or they could be left black, to imitate the visual appearance of South Dakota's state route markers).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

papaT10932

I think Utah's current shield is unique already. If you are interested in redesigning state highway shields, I think more attention needs to be focused on states that use default circles and boring squares.

Alps

I would make the beehive yellow, like the Kansas sunburst. Black is cheap, and bees are yellow.

Quillz

I'm biased, but I'd like to see more states follow California's lead and go for white-on-green shields. I think standardizing green as the de facto state route color might be useful, kind of like how blue and red are associated as the Interstate colors.

kkt

Visually, I like the light blue, brown, or dark blue backgrounds.  The green is attractive but would make it look too much like an exit sign when seen under poor conditions.

Utah apparently has not adopted official state colors, though Wikipedia says they are yellow and black.  Maybe that would be a good scheme, if shades could be found that didn't make it look like a warning sign.

Alps

Quote from: kkt on March 01, 2012, 12:57:17 PM

Utah apparently has not adopted official state colors, though Wikipedia says they are yellow and black.  Maybe that would be a good scheme, if shades could be found that didn't make it look like a warning sign.
Again - if Kansas can do it, why not Utah?

kkt

Quote from: Steve on March 01, 2012, 06:36:13 PM
Yes, I like Kansas'.

national highway 1

Quote from: kkt on March 01, 2012, 07:17:29 PM
Quote from: Steve on March 01, 2012, 06:36:13 PM
Yes, I like Kansas'.
Also Wyoming has yellow state highway shields, so why not ditto that with Utah?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

kkt

I do like the state route shields to have the state name or "State Route" on them.  Not because people don't know what state they're in, but because it keeps them from being mistaken a speed limit or mileage sign.  Especially in states where the state route shield is a generic rectangle or circle.

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2012, 12:47:09 PM
I do like the state route shields to have the state name or "State Route" on them.  Not because people don't know what state they're in, but because it keeps them from being mistaken a speed limit or mileage sign.  Especially in states where the state route shield is a generic rectangle or circle.

Even with the state name inside, a route marker can still be mistaken for a speed limit sign.  Take, for example, this sign assembly in Galatia, Illinois.  Speed Limit 30, stacked on top of an Illinois 34 sign.  I used to drive past it nearly every day for work, and still had trouble telling which one was the speed limit on first glance.
http://g.co/maps/mmqn4
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2012, 06:09:45 PM
I do like the state route shields to have the state name or "State Route" on them.  Not because people don't know what state they're in, but because it keeps them from being mistaken a speed limit or mileage sign.  Especially in states where the state route shield is a generic rectangle or circle.

Even with the state name inside, a route marker can still be mistaken for a speed limit sign.  Take, for example, this sign assembly in Galatia, Illinois.  Speed Limit 30, stacked on top of an Illinois 34 sign.  I used to drive past it nearly every day for work, and still had trouble telling which one was the speed limit on first glance.

Great example.

roadfro

Even with the state name inside, a route marker can still be mistaken for a speed limit sign.  Take, for example, this sign assembly in Galatia, Illinois.  Speed Limit 30, stacked on top of an Illinois 34 sign.  I used to drive past it nearly every day for work, and still had trouble telling which one was the speed limit on first glance.

The trouble would be mitigated greatly by following MUTCD recommendations...regulatory signage should not be on the same post as guide signs (which route markers/shields are classified as).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

apeman33

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2012, 10:03:33 PM

Great example.

On a trip to the Chicago area once, my friend looked down a side road and said, "That's a weird speed limit. 56 MPH." Turned out it was Route 56.

kphoger

Butterfield Road, a 'side road'.   :-D

It actually does (used to? I haven't lived there in quite some time) carry a 55 mph limit along some of its portions in the far western suburbs and rural extremities.  However, I don't know of a 55 mph / Illinois 56 stacked assembly.  Now that would be weird.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rover_0

A thought occurred to me lately, but what about that fluorescent yellow-green color used for crosswalks? Hasn't that color been taken out by now, or does it still see some kind of limited use?

national highway 1

How about 'coral'? It is an official FHWA color, but it hasn't been used. Might work well with Utah's desert landscape.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: national highway 1 on March 07, 2012, 05:39:30 PM
How about 'coral'? It is an official FHWA color, but it hasn't been used. Might work well with Utah's desert landscape.
I think we in the southwest would call that "adobe". It's a color used extensively on the structural members of bridges in New Mexico, often with turquoise trim.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Rover_0

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on March 07, 2012, 11:22:34 PM
Quote from: national highway 1 on March 07, 2012, 05:39:30 PM
I think we in the southwest would call that "adobe". It's a color used extensively on the structural members of bridges in New Mexico, often with turquoise trim.

I'm confused, though; I thought coral was this pinkish color (not unlike fluorescent pink), but according to the Traffic Sign website, it's more of a brick red. Not a bad color choice, and it could fit Utah nicely.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.