News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Mexico speed limits on I-25

Started by corco, June 11, 2012, 10:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

Did New Mexico relax the speed limits on I-25? I could have sworn last time I passed through here the speed limit was 65 through Santa Fe and Las Vegas and then around Pecos, but now it's 75 for the duration.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: corco on June 11, 2012, 10:41:31 PM
Did New Mexico relax the speed limits on I-25? I could have sworn last time I passed through here the speed limit was 65 through Santa Fe and Las Vegas and then around Pecos, but now it's 75 for the duration.
It's always been 75 around Santa Fe and Las Vegas, at least since elimination of the NMSL. The 65 mph portion over Glorieta Pass east of Santa Fe was raised to 75 in the past couple of years. You do hit a 65 limit around Raton, and then a brief 55 mph portion on the north side, the latter probably based on deteriorated pavement conditions. Since they're rebuilding that road, I expect at least the 55 to go away. Not sure if NMDOT justifies 65 mph by the closely spaced interchanges.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

J N Winkler

It is as Steve says, except I think the limit increase from 65 to 75 over the Glorieta Pass is not recent.  The speed limit had gone to 75 when I last drove that length of I-25 in January 2005.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 11, 2012, 11:13:17 PM
It is as Steve says, except I think the limit increase from 65 to 75 over the Glorieta Pass is not recent.  The speed limit had gone to 75 when I last drove that length of I-25 in January 2005.
That change was some time during the period since we've lived in southern Colorado (after 2002), so your recollection is likely correct. I have driven it before the removal of the 65 zone.

My comment on the speed limit around Raton where it drops to 65 should have included the fact that the speed limit over the pass north of Raton is 65 in both New Mexico and Colorado. Thus, the 65 around Raton will probably remain as such.

J N Winkler

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on June 12, 2012, 07:50:51 AMThat change was some time during the period since we've lived in southern Colorado (after 2002), so your recollection is likely correct. I have driven it before the removal of the 65 zone.

So have I--frankly, I didn't agree with this increase in limit since the curves going through the Glorieta Pass are comfortable at 65 but kind of tight at 75.  I don't know if 65-MPH advisory speed signs have since been posted.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 12, 2012, 03:53:21 PM

So have I--frankly, I didn't agree with this increase in limit since the curves going through the Glorieta Pass are comfortable at 65 but kind of tight at 75.  I don't know if 65-MPH advisory speed signs have since been posted.

I seem to recall some 65s and 70s the last time I was there (Feb 2012)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 12, 2012, 03:53:21 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on June 12, 2012, 07:50:51 AMThat change was some time during the period since we've lived in southern Colorado (after 2002), so your recollection is likely correct. I have driven it before the removal of the 65 zone.

It's a blast pulling my travel trailer through there at that speed! (Especially coming northbound [downhill]).  :-o

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.