News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

Why is that sign orange? It looks permanent to me........

plain

It's temporary. But I feel they could've at least put Wilmington or maybe even Chester :-D under 95.
Newark born, Richmond bred

SignBridge

They could easily display both.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: plain on September 23, 2021, 09:58:49 PM
It's "temporary".

Fixed for you. 

The sign is over 6 years old now. The orange is fading.   Although the tagging on the back is relatively new, occurring between the August and October 2019 view captures.  https://goo.gl/maps/cRnKM8CtqGCE2oEJA

plain

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 23, 2021, 10:09:37 PM
Quote from: plain on September 23, 2021, 09:58:49 PM
It's "temporary".

Fixed for you. 

The sign is over 6 years old now. The orange is fading.   Although the tagging on the back is relatively new, occurring between the August and October 2019 view captures.  https://goo.gl/maps/cRnKM8CtqGCE2oEJA

Indeed, but still temporary. That's not going to be there when the project is finished 624 years from now lmao.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Roadsguy

Quote from: famartin on September 23, 2021, 04:42:42 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 23, 2021, 04:39:55 PM
Anybody travel to Breezewood lately to see if any new signs are up yet? A sign replacement project was supposed to start in July.

I like orange extruded aluminum signs but hate Clearview.  My one and only Clearview pic.
Are they adding capacity on I-95 at all in Philly with all the reconstruction?

[/url]

95revive, PennDOT's official name for their never ending project to make everyone hate 95 in Philly, has some spot safety, operational and capacity improvements, but I don't think any wholesale widening is involved.

It won't be widened significantly (e.g. to ten continuous through lanes), but they're widening through interchanges with lane drops and adding auxiliary lanes in a few places. Previously, I-95 was generally eight lanes between Vine Street and Academy Road, but dropped to six lanes at Girard, Aramingo, and Cottman Avenues. When finished, this entire section will have eight continuous lanes. A fifth auxiliary lane in each direction will also be added between I-676 and Girard Avenue, as well as I believe from Girard to Allegheny Avenue.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

snowc

Quote from: famartin on September 23, 2021, 04:42:42 PM
Anybody travel to Breezewood lately to see if any new signs are up yet? A sign replacement project was supposed to start in July.

I like orange extruded aluminum signs but hate Clearview.  My one and only Clearview pic.

[/url]

95revive, PennDOT's official name for their never ending project to make everyone hate 95 in Philly, has some spot safety, operational and capacity improvements, but I don't think any wholesale widening is involved.

Still there as of Mar 2021

Orange signs used on I95 during Exit 71 construction

Orange signs as of Sept 22 2021 during Exit 70 construction

74/171FAN

jemacedo9

PennDOT has launched a survey to gather opinions on "construction and maintenance services feedback...".

Press release:  https://www.penndot.gov/pages/all-news-details.aspx?newsid=878
Survey link:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2021PDConstruction

74/171FAN

roadman65

PA and NJ have always used orange signs for exits during construction. Even NYSDOT has even done in Binghamton on I-81in 2012.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

Quote from: roadman65 on September 28, 2021, 11:44:38 AM
PA and NJ have always used orange signs for exits during construction. Even NYSDOT has even done in Binghamton on I-81in 2012.

IIRC, PennDOT covered up BGS with temporary green vinyl signs for some construction projects in Downtown Pittsburgh in the past.

jeffandnicole

Maybe NJ did in the past, or an occasional project. For the most part, NJDOT uses green signage for exits, even within construction zones.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 28, 2021, 09:09:45 PM

Maybe NJ did in the past, or an occasional project. For the most part, NJDOT uses green signage for exits, even within construction zones.
i agree with the person who is usually right (jeff)

MASTERNC

[/url]

That orange sign might be gone soon with I-95 south reopening

Quote from: jemacedo9 on September 27, 2021, 07:46:06 PM
PennDOT has launched a survey to gather opinions on "construction and maintenance services feedback...".

Press release:  https://www.penndot.gov/pages/all-news-details.aspx?newsid=878
Survey link:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2021PDConstruction

Thanks.  I definitely expressed my opinion about the disparity between districts in reporting construction (compare District 12, for example, with Districts 6 & 11).  I also noted the DMS signs don't always warn of incidents ahead (they are blank), when other states are much better about warning drivers.  It's not as big a deal anymore with Waze and phone GPS, but it was even a problem before then.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on September 29, 2021, 12:39:28 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 28, 2021, 09:09:45 PM

i agree with the person who is usually right (jeff)

There is one in current use in NJ, but it might be a DRJTBC install...
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2682768,-74.8380422,3a,75y,217.71h,84.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s34sxBwl0_LX-enfr8u7p8g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

akotchi

It was installed by the Commission's contractor.  Several others are (or have been) up on the Pennsylvania side.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Roadsguy

From the Joe Biden Expressway thread:

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2021, 02:04:10 PM
I still want to know if Pennsylvania is still using FHWA for new guide sign installations instead of Clearview on a statewide basis. It would be a major surprise if one of the innovators and early adopters and advocates for Clearview has now abandoned it.

I figure there's more likely to be a response here. I know PennDOT and the PTC returned to Clearview after the interim approval was reinstated, but haven't seen any new enough signage to say whether PennDOT actually went back to FHWA. All the signage overlays for the renaming are in FHWA Series, though I couldn't find a contract for the signage change on ECMS.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 03, 2021, 01:50:21 PMI figure there's more likely to be a response here. I know PennDOT and the PTC returned to Clearview after the interim approval was reinstated, but haven't seen any new enough signage to say whether PennDOT actually went back to FHWA. All the signage overlays for the renaming are in FHWA Series, though I couldn't find a contract for the signage change on ECMS.

I still collect pattern-accurate sign panel detail and sign elevation sheets through ECMS.  The majority of it has been in Clearview over the past couple of years, but quite a bit has been in FHWA, notably an I-79 sign replacement in District 1 last year.  I don't know enough about the Biden Expressway to comment specifically on that (I run scripts to select projects for download and then more scripts to select out the signing, so I'm pretty much oblivious to project scope aside from signing), but I suspect the signing changes were done in-house or procured through a framework contract (which the PTC does for much of its routine guide sign replacement).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.