News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

Quote from: kkt on February 02, 2015, 10:30:49 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 02, 2015, 07:43:12 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 02, 2015, 07:38:32 PM
Try clicking your link, thick.
Oh God. I though I had posted the correct link. Fixed it though!

That's 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

You know where he lives now. 
Take the road less traveled.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 03, 2015, 04:14:02 AM
Quote from: kkt on February 02, 2015, 10:30:49 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 02, 2015, 07:43:12 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 02, 2015, 07:38:32 PM
Try clicking your link, thick.
Oh God. I though I had posted the correct link. Fixed it though!

That's 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

You know where he lives now. 
Heh, I live in a different portion of Huntsville.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

kphoger

So my best friend, the other day, sent me a link on my phone to a Google satellite view that supposedly shows someone dumping a body in the lake (Snopes debunking here).  So I decided to have a little fun with him.  I kept entering somewhat-random coordinates into Google Maps until I had landed on a spot with GSV.  The location I picked was in Quebec.  I then sent him the following text message:

Quote46.106, -71.2842 ... Switch to street view, go down the street just a little bit, and you can see a guy getting mugged in Quebec.

I could tell he was trying it out, because he sent me a screenshot of a location nearby, then asked me "Northwest or southeast?"  So I baited him with "Southeast, I think."  My wife and I couldn't stop laughing at that point.  (Shortly thereafter, I told him I was messing with him.)

Fun little prank!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crazy Volvo Guy

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

SD Mapman

Only in South Dakota would the Google Car get attacked by loose dogs.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.426851,-97.293683,3a,75y,107.23h,51.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJ5fS6efjAKrIBH616kMSkg!2e0
Scroll east/west to show the dogs running after it, then giving up. The owners are just standing around talking.

I don't even know why the car was there in the first place... who the heck would want to go to Waubay?
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

US81

Quote from: SD Mapman on February 23, 2015, 01:00:35 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.426851,-97.293683,3a,75y,107.23h,51.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJ5fS6efjAKrIBH616kMSkg!2e0
Scroll east/west to show the dogs running after it, then giving up. The owners are just standing around talking.

I don't even know why the car was there in the first place... who the heck would want to go to Waubay?

There's plenty of places in Texas that would still happen. Now, once again, the question of "who would want to go there?" would arise.

6a

Can't figure out how to get a link from a tablet, so here you go. I found...me, driving the truck in the right lane.

Crazy Volvo Guy

I would be on street view driving my truck on I-75, but they messed up the update of that imagery, so when you get right beside my truck, the imagery for that date is actually not taken on that date.

You can see me as you're approaching from behind.  Crete truck w/ trailer 225485 in a traffic jam.  Have to be on the new google maps to see it because you have to play around with the "time machine"
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Rushmeister

Oh, man, I love this one.  Go back and check out the house where the people are standing about, presumably lauding the multitude of entertainment and employment options their municipality has blessed them with. 

Anyway, notice the air conditioner protruding from the front door, propped up by a board and a tire.  Maybe the tire is just a door stop or something -- whatever works, it doesn't matter.  I applaud their resourcefulness and ingenuity.  Hey, the back door still works, right?

This scene, in my opinion, should be added to the definition of "awesome".
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

freebrickproductions

I would have had the bus I rode last year be on Street View, but they didn't use any of the photos it would've been in as far as I'm aware.
You can actually see my van at a bank and my older bother mowing the front lawn on Street View. 
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Takumi

In the Virginia thread there was discussion about the Google car being pulled over on Street View in the town of Newsoms.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

6a

Quote from: Rushmeister on February 23, 2015, 09:44:37 AM

Oh, man, I love this one.  Go back and check out the house where the people are standing about, presumably lauding the multitude of entertainment and employment options their municipality has blessed them with. 

Anyway, notice the air conditioner protruding from the front door, propped up by a board and a tire.  Maybe the tire is just a door stop or something -- whatever works, it doesn't matter.  I applaud their resourcefulness and ingenuity.  Hey, the back door still works, right?

This scene, in my opinion, should be added to the definition of "awesome".

You're goddamn right about everything. My granddad was known as "Big Jim" because his head hit the corner of a window air conditioner...once. It was held up by a board wedged against the side of the house underneath the carport. Of course that means my dad was "Little Jim" and so he was.

briantroutman

I haven't seen anyone else comment on this...

Does anyone know why the Google Street View peg person is wearing a red and white skirt–or a cake, or a snare drum, depending on your point of view–when you pick him/her up?

SignGeek101

Quote from: 6a on February 23, 2015, 09:22:17 AM
Can't figure out how to get a link from a tablet, so here you go. I found...me, driving the truck in the right lane.

I found myself on the bus: I saw the GSV car passing by one morning. I'd never seen it to that day.

http://goo.gl/maps/ECXFo

NE2

Quote from: briantroutman on February 24, 2015, 10:18:24 PM
Does anyone know why the Google Street View peg person is wearing a red and white skirt–or a cake, or a snare drum, depending on your point of view–when you pick him/her up?

Because you're using the crappy new interface :bigass:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

spooky

I haven't seen anyone else comment on this...

didn't the Google just have a birthday?

adventurernumber1

I don't know if this would be considered "crazy," but definitely very odd for me and my family to find on GMSV, but on the original street view of my grandparents' neighborhood road in Rome, GA, at my grandparents' house, it actually showed my grandfather at the mailbox wearing his neck brace (he has neck & back trouble). A very rare sight indeed!  :wow: :-D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

empirestate

Quote from: NE2 on February 25, 2015, 06:14:42 AM

Because you're using the crappy new interface :bigass:

I have been wondering the same thing! (And yes, the Street View interface has been behaving poorly for me as well, in Chrome, no less.)

tchafe1978

I can look at the Street View images of my house and see my two dogs outside in their pen during the day while we're away at work. They're both looking at the GSV car, ready to bark and pounce, but obviously can't do anything since they were fenced in. Not giving away my address, though...

kphoger

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 05, 2015, 12:11:01 AM
Not giving away my address, though...

That's right.  It's a dangerous place.  We might send you unwanted catalogs and newsletters.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.