News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDOTFanFB

Around Metro Detroit:

• After months of construction, I-94/I-69 in Port Huron has reopened. There's three new spans over the Black River, one westbound bridge and two eastbound bridges, segregating local and international traffic, plus the road on each side of the river is wider now.
  • Meanwhile, further down I-94, work has begun to replace lights and BGSes along a five-mile stretch in Detroit and Harper Woods. It's expected to last into 2013.
  • The I-75/Dix-Toledo Highway interchange reconstruction in Brownstown Township is nearing completion.
  • Other parts of I-94 in the region is being improved. The project's divided into four phases:
    Phase 1 involves the overpasses at the I-275 interchange in Romulus. It is currently in progress and ends this November.
    Phase 2 involved the overpasses at the M-39 interchange in Allen Park. Most of it has been completed, only northbound M-39 is still being worked on.
    Phase 3 involved resurfacing between Wyoming and 2nd Streets on Detroit's west side. It is now completed.
    Phase 4 involved resurfacing between M-29 and the Saint Clair/Macomb County line near New Baltimore. It is almost complete, only the eastbound shoulder remains to be worked on.
  • I-96 in western Oakland County is still under construction for bridge replacement.
  • Starting in 2013, construction will be performed on U.S. 23/223 in southern Monroe County. This involves interchange resurfacing, resurfacing at the Dundee Welcome Center and the modification of the U.S. 223 interchange into a dumbbell interchange.

These are just a few of many projects occurring throughout Detroit.

roadman65

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Detroit,+MI&hl=en&ll=42.312156,-83.096091&spn=0.004387,0.006427&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=10.900733,21.643066&oq=det&t=h&hnear=Detroit,+Wayne,+Michigan&z=17&layer=c&cbll=42.312187,-83.093769&panoid=TeTwXkxGAOQSys8yDzHE9w&cbp=12,71.41,,0,0

I was noticing in this street view that I-75 is closed for construction near the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit.  How could such an urban interstate have so much traffic placed on city streets?

Now I am aware this might be a few years ago as it looks like it was when MDOT was making its approaches to the border crossing, however now, before, or someday, it seems unusual to shut down an entire interstate in a major metropolitan area.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

InterstateNG

Happens all the time.  I-96 is scheduled to be closed this year or next between I think 275 and Telegraph.  The reconstruction work will be done quicker if you shut down the whole freeway.

In the GSV image you've linked to, 75 was closed because they actually lowered the roadbed a couple of feet during construction.
I demand an apology.

roadman65

That is very interesting.  Its sounds good as they can work uninterrupted.   In Florida, FDOT would not let I-4 shut down for sure!  The most they do is close lanes.

PennDOT does it good, with shutting down one whole side of the road, do everything, and then move to the other side to finish the rest at one time.  One bad aspect in this, if someone breaks down, you cannot maneuver between the jersey barriers that are spaced 10 feet apart.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

MDOT can get away with closing down an entire freeway in Detroit due to the prevalence of good alternate routes.  For example, MDOT closed down sections of the Southfield Freeway (M-39) and the primary alternate was Telegraph Road (US-24); and closed down sections of the Lodge Freeway (M-10) with alternates in the Chrysler Freeway (I-75) and Woodward Avenue (M-1).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

NE2

Florida instead builds a whole new set of lanes to the side. In Tampa they've bought and wrecked a whole adjacent city block, on I-4 east and I-275 west of downtown.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

JREwing78

Don't forget that traffic in metro Detroit isn't exactly at its peak, and hasn't been in a few years, thanks to the economy.

When I-75 was closed, they had signs all over the place, including south of Toledo, OH warning drivers of the closure. They also directed drivers up US-23 and I-275 well before the closure; they could then easily get to points along I-75 by cutting over on I-94, I-96, or I-696.

roadman65

Not here in O-town!  If I-4 gets shut down, and everyday there is some major accident that does, the streets around it, including US 17 & 92 get completely clogged.

Hey just the other day a tractor trailer jackknifed in the rain and had I-4 shut down around the Michigan Street.  It had extra traffic along Michigan Street Westbound (that never has any traffic around 6 AM)in the early morning.  I travel that route every day and when I saw it I knew right away that something happened on I-4. 

If that particular accident even happened during the day even off peak around noon, Michigan Street would be a nightmare as it has heavy volume to begin with all day long.  Then if a train came by and crossed Michigan( there is an at grade rail crossing just east of I-4 with frequent freight traffic), it would be ten times worse!  As we know, railroads have the right away over motor roads, and do not have to schedule trains around commuters busy schedules.   

Anyway, I guess we can say different practices have to happen in different metro areas.  Add the politics of the engineers and it becomes even more interesting.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

A quick question that just came to my mind while I was checking something else in the area - Are, or were, there plans to develop a transport corridor between I-196 at M-21 (interchange 69, with that wide spot in median and an unusual interchange layout) and the wide spot in the median of I-96 just west of Fruit Ridge Ave (interchange 26) on the west side of the Grand Rapids area?  IMHO, this would very nicely complement the recently built M-6 and complete a good metro area 'beltline'.

:hmmm:

Mike

JREwing78

The LSJ had an article about the recently-rebuilt stretch of Michigan Avenue in Lansing and East Lansing:

Need direction? Reworked Michigan Avenue stretch is filled with signs
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20130823/NEWS01/308230029/Need-direction-Reworked-Michigan-Avenue-stretch-filled-signs

JREwing78

Apparently, Dukes of Hazzard launches aren't just limited to Indiana. A guy towing a lawn mower performed a huge jump into Sycamore Creek on I-96, just west of the I-496/US-127 interchange near Lansing.

Driver in dramatic I-96 crash expected to make a full recovery
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013308200039

JCinSummerfield

Construction has been completed at the US-23/US-223 interchange in Monroe County.  Roundabouits have been added, now the drivers just need to be educated on how to use them.  The signage, however, is a virtual nightmare.  Erroneous cardinal directions, inappropriate "TO" signs, missing shields make this exit a hoot.

getemngo

Grand Rapids is getting some significant rush hour congestion when it never used to have any. During the evenings, the worst I've seen are I-96 westbound (yes, really, westbound) between M-11/28th Street and where the third lane comes in at M-21, and northbound M-44/East Beltline between Cascade and Knapp. Stop and go the whole length, every day. Both have room to be widened, and I think there are plans eventually for I-96. I-196 between US 131 and M-11 isn't great either.

What's been bad for years is M-37/Alpine Ave for its first few miles north of I-96. The only viable long-term solution I can see is to bypass the shopping corridor entirely. Would it make more sense to hook into US 131 around 6 Mile or so, or to go west and reach I-96 around the Walker Ave exit? Heck, you could just designate Fruit Ridge Ave as M-37 from I-96 to Kent City with minimal improvements (widen shoulders, smooth curves), but I feel like all the traffic that wants to take that route already does. It also wouldn't help traffic to Sparta.

Quote from: mgk920 on June 13, 2013, 02:52:53 PM
A quick question that just came to my mind while I was checking something else in the area - Are, or were, there plans to develop a transport corridor between I-196 at M-21 (interchange 69, with that wide spot in median and an unusual interchange layout) and the wide spot in the median of I-96 just west of Fruit Ridge Ave (interchange 26) on the west side of the Grand Rapids area?  IMHO, this would very nicely complement the recently built M-6 and complete a good metro area 'beltline'.

Mike

You know, I'd never noticed those wide spots before, but you're probably right. The original plan for Grand Rapids in the 1960s was for there to be four beltlines, though presumably as divided surface streets and not freeways. East Beltline was built (M-37/M-44), the beginnings of the South and West Beltlines became M-11, and the North Beltline (roughly 3 Mile Rd) was never started. The Wilson Ave part of M-11 would have been widened and extended into what you're seeing. (Of course, now that M-6 is the semi-official South Beltline, it doesn't make as much sense.)

On that note, the Wilson Ave portion of M-11 is mostly two lanes, with the occasional passing lane or left turn lane. All the rest of M-11 is 5 lanes, even the part west of Wilson! I sure hope that changes soon. It's not very safe.
~ Sam from Michigan

ftballfan

Quote from: getemngo on September 30, 2013, 11:42:08 PM
Grand Rapids is getting some significant rush hour congestion when it never used to have any. During the evenings, the worst I've seen are I-96 westbound (yes, really, westbound) between M-11/28th Street and where the third lane comes in at M-21, and northbound M-44/East Beltline between Cascade and Knapp. Stop and go the whole length, every day. Both have room to be widened, and I think there are plans eventually for I-96. I-196 between US 131 and M-11 isn't great either.

What's been bad for years is M-37/Alpine Ave for its first few miles north of I-96. The only viable long-term solution I can see is to bypass the shopping corridor entirely. Would it make more sense to hook into US 131 around 6 Mile or so, or to go west and reach I-96 around the Walker Ave exit? Heck, you could just designate Fruit Ridge Ave as M-37 from I-96 to Kent City with minimal improvements (widen shoulders, smooth curves), but I feel like all the traffic that wants to take that route already does. It also wouldn't help traffic to Sparta.

Quote from: mgk920 on June 13, 2013, 02:52:53 PM

Mike

You know, I'd never noticed those wide spots before, but you're probably right. The original plan for Grand Rapids in the 1960s was for there to be four beltlines, though presumably as divided surface streets and not freeways. East Beltline was built (M-37/M-44), the beginnings of the South and West Beltlines became M-11, and the North Beltline (roughly 3 Mile Rd) was never started. The Wilson Ave part of M-11 would have been widened and extended into what you're seeing. (Of course, now that M-6 is the semi-official South Beltline, it doesn't make as much sense.)

On that note, the Wilson Ave portion of M-11 is mostly two lanes, with the occasional passing lane or left turn lane. All the rest of M-11 is 5 lanes, even the part west of Wilson! I sure hope that changes soon. It's not very safe.
I don't get how Wilson Ave is only two lanes from Burton to Remembrance (except around Lake Michigan/M-45) and it's four/five lanes from Remembrance to 3 Mile. I also don't get how some much less congested roads are five lanes in Grand Rapids (see 60th St east of East Kentwood HS, 68th St from Byron Center to Burlingame, and Barden Dr)

JREwing78

MDOT would like you to ask your politicians to raise the gas tax, pretty please.
http://justfixtheroads.com/

Given the current level of state taxation (and the fact that it hasn't changed since 1997), they have a point.

JREwing78

Larry Harris of Benton Harbor, who drives a tractor-trailer, said he's looking forward to a pilot program designed to alert truck drivers to available parking spaces along the I-94 corridor between Detroit and Chicago.

I-94 project will help truckers find open parking spots
http://www.freep.com/article/20131201/NEWS06/312010063/truckers-signs-I-94-Truck-Parking-Information-and-Management-System-pilot-program-MDOT

getemngo

I-96's Larson Road interchance (exit 140, near Howell) opened at 11:30 am on Monday, December 2. I happened to drive under it 15 minutes before the ceremony, without any idea of the day's significance until I saw the mass of cars and fancy looking tent!

Quote from: ftballfan on October 26, 2013, 09:47:41 PM
I don't get how Wilson Ave is only two lanes from Burton to Remembrance (except around Lake Michigan/M-45) and it's four/five lanes from Remembrance to 3 Mile. I also don't get how some much less congested roads are five lanes in Grand Rapids (see 60th St east of East Kentwood HS, 68th St from Byron Center to Burlingame, and Barden Dr)

Well, none of those are MDOT maintained. Kent County has been going crazy with widening roads in the southern townships in the last few years. 68th is also 5 lanes all the way from US 131 to M-37, except through Dutton. Not to mention the number of traffic signals...but this is one of the fastest growing areas of the state. It's not the worst thing that these roads are prepared for what traffic will be like in 10 years.
~ Sam from Michigan

JREwing78

getemngo

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 09, 2013, 10:53:21 PM
Thieves Can't Stop Stealing Copper From Detroit Freeway Streetlights
http://detroit.jalopnik.com/thieves-cant-stop-stealing-copper-from-detroit-freeway-1479646345/@travis

Last time I was on I-94 at night, not a single streetlight was turned on between the eastern city limits and I-96. I've heard it's due to the city's finances (thieves can steal a lot, but I don't think their rate can be 100%). It was so strange to drive an unlit urban freeway.  :no:
~ Sam from Michigan

JREwing78

It's MDOT's finances - they're responsible for lighting on state highways.

mgk920

How difficult would it be for MDOT to use steel/aluminum wires strung overhead to power those streetlights?

Mike

JREwing78

MDOT's solution to the problematic I-96/US-23 interchange in Brighton: Express lanes.
http://michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9621_11008_66872---,00.html

So basically, the existing I-96 lanes over US-23 (with the left entrances intact) will remain, albeit reconfigured slightly for smoother operation, as a C/D lane setup. The new six-lane section of I-96 will slot in-between. It should make for a much calmer, smoother drive.

Hopefully the bridges will be constructed with a future six-laning of US-23 in mind.

HandsomeRob

So MDOT is going to buy up all of those houses in the median of I-96 then, I guess?

JREwing78

That appears to be the case. It's not exactly a desirable location for a home, what with being bordered on all sides by nonstop freeway traffic.

JREwing78

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.