News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: Roadsguyconnect to the recently-upgraded NC 87/210 expressway at Fort Bragg.

This won't work unless you either destroy what's left of the middle of Spring Lake or relocate a major high-tension power line ($$$$$).

mvak36

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 27, 2019, 07:18:45 AM
Quote from: LM117 on September 27, 2019, 06:02:17 AM
Greensboro is pushing to have US-421 between the city and I-95 become a future interstate.

http://www.rhinotimes.com/news/gate-city-headed-for-another-interstate-highway/

I really that if this ever goes anywhere, they don't just upgrade 421 from Sanford to Dunn. Any interstate leaving Greensboro down 421 should go to Fayetteville via NC 87 and connect to the recently-upgraded NC 87/210 expressway at Fort Bragg.

I-38? :sombrero:

I like the idea of it going down to Fayetteville. I guess if NCDOT approves it, it's gonna take a while before we ever see it come to fruition due to their funding problems.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

BrianP

I'd rather go for an 3di than a 2di since it's just a bypass of R-D.  Since there are more Ix95's available I'd say reuse I-495.  Or it wouldn't be that bad to multiplex I-42 with I-95 then I-42 would reach Greensboro via this proposal.  The part of I-42 between I-95 and I-40 would be renumbered I-242.

But I'm not sure US 421 is a good corridor east of Sanford.  And going to Fayetteville goes away from the point of being a R-D bypass.  If only I-42 could use part of future NC 540 to reach US 64.  And use the US 64 corridor to Siler City to then use the US 421 corridor to Greensboro.  That would be a better I-42 extension.  The route to Fayetteville could be an even I-x42.

Roadsguy

A hypothetical I-38 from Greensboro to Fayetteville could also be extended further along NC 24 to I-40 or as far as Jacksonville, fulfilling that idea as well. It would probably need to be routed around I-295 and 95, though, as taking it through Fayetteville would require a circuitous route involving extending the All-American Freeway to the MLK Jr. Freeway and then extending said freeway around the north side of downtown to connect to NC 24 before I-95, or building a new connector around the southeast side. This would be very expensive and disruptive, especially extending the All-American Freeway.

Though now we're straying into fictional territory...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

US-421, NC-87, and NC-24 would be the best routing IMO, as opposed to following US-421 all the way to Dunn.

Following US-421 all the way has its benefits, especially for Greensboro & points west traffic heading to Wilmington, they'd have a bypass of Raleigh-Durham, but considering the major improvements either underway / near future construction on I-40 - including widening to 6 lanes between Chapel Hill and I-85, plus the upcoming NC-540 Bypass, which, once linked to the I-42 / I-40 interchange, will provide a full interstate-grade 70 mph 6-lane bypass of Raleigh - it almost seems pointless to follow that corridor as opposed to NC-87 and NC-24, which would fill in a missing gap on the interstate system - the Greensboro to Fayetteville / Fort Bragg / I-95 South connection - something that following US-421 all the way would not link - it'd be just as good as simply taking I-40 from Greensboro > I-95 South - not efficient & adds significant travel time.

As for potential improvements - the segment between I-85 and Siler City is already limited-access, just needs a few interchanges built to replace the few remaining at-grade intersections, and then widen the shoulders to 10 foot. The segment between Siler City and the Sanford Bypass could reasonable be upgraded to interstate standards on existing alignment, and the Sanford Bypass is already interstate-standard. South of Sanford is where it gets tricky, likely some new location alignments would be necessary. Near Fayetteville / Fort Bragg would likely be the most complex area, and would need some detailed studies to determine the best routing near Spring Lake, either some convoluted new alignment, or a narrow upgrade of the existing corridor through Spring Lake, then following the recently-completed NC-24 freeway back to I-295.

Designation - Reasonable an I-x40, I-x85, or I-x95, beginning at the I-85 / US-421 interchange in Greensboro, following US-421, NC-87, and NC-24 to I-295. Then, an overlap with I-295 (similar to Greensboro with I-785) along the future southern loop back to I-95 South.

A more fictional idea could be to extend the interstate designation to Wilkesboro along the US-421 freeway. From the I-85 / US-421 junction, you'd follow the I-85 South, I-73 North, and I-40 West until the split with the US-421 freeway west of Winston-Salem, then continue to Wilkesboro. That would total a ~200 mile corridor between Wilkesboro and Fayetteville, and then you could designate it as a I-3x or I-4x.

It's going to be interesting to see if this becomes an official future interstate highway.

RoadPelican

Quote from: froggie on September 27, 2019, 09:36:30 AM
Quote from: Roadsguyconnect to the recently-upgraded NC 87/210 expressway at Fort Bragg.

This won't work unless you either destroy what's left of the middle of Spring Lake or relocate a major high-tension power line ($$$$$).

The State Transportation Plan has the Spring Lake Bypass on a eastern alignment.  ROW acquisition is to begin in 2026, but the construction date is not set to begin until sometime after 2029.

sprjus4

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Project%20Breakdown%20Maps/U-5802.pdf

At first glance, doesn't appear to be a freeway, though with modifications, especially if this Greensboro - Fayetteville interstate comes to fruition, could be built as a freeway on that alignment or similar, just with a few curves.

Did not realize that a bypass was feasible - though it appears it may be indeed.

froggie

I discounted that "eastern bypass" as an option because there's likely a reason nothing has been built through or in those woods.

LM117

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: BrianP on September 27, 2019, 10:31:24 AM
If only I-42 could use part of future NC 540 to reach US 64.  And use the US 64 corridor to Siler City to then use the US 421 corridor to Greensboro.  That would be a better I-42 extension.  The route to Fayetteville could be an even I-x42.

Your section to Siler City is part of my I-42. My I-42 continues past Siler City on 64 past Lexington to Mocksville, then onto U.S. 601 to U.S. 421 at Yadkinville, and continuing west on 421 before ending in Boone
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-10-01-troy-bypass-final-traffic-shift.aspx

QuoteTROY — Drivers traveling west on N.C. 24/27 from Biscoe to Troy will have full access to the Troy Bypass starting this week.

The new westbound lanes of the bypass between existing N.C. 24/27 and Page Street are scheduled to open to traffic about 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday. Both directions of traffic had been utilizing the eastbound lanes along this stretch since Aug. 7, when the N.C. Department of Transportation opened the 6.6-mile highway.

The closure of the westbound side was needed to complete the connection to the existing highway and Glen Road, which has also been closed since Aug. 7 and will reopen as part of this traffic shift.

Drivers should be cautious as crews will be in and out of the roadway while the shift is completed.

Work will continue under daily lane closures in both directions for the next several weeks as the contractor places the final asphalt layer.

froggie

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on October 01, 2019, 03:38:42 PM
If only I-42 could use part of future NC 540 to reach US 64.  And use the US 64 corridor to Siler City to then use the US 421 corridor to Greensboro.  That would be a better I-42 extension.  The route to Fayetteville could be an even I-x42.

Your section to Siler City is part of my I-42. My I-42 continues past Siler City on 64 past Lexington to Mocksville, then onto U.S. 601 to U.S. 421 at Yadkinville, and continuing west on 421 before ending in Boone

Sounds like someone else on here...almost down to the wording.

BrianP

I looked at US 64 to I-40 but I don't see any prospect of that route being a interstate especially west of Asheboro.  There's no part of the existing route west of Asheboro that can be used.  It would all have to be a new highway.  So I don't think that bodes well.

If you wanted to go west of Greensboro then I think it would need to be a new route between Siler City and where I-73 and I-74 split.  (It's too bad the Asheboro bypass is on the south side instead of the north side.  Otherwise it could be usable for this route.)   From there follow I-74 to the W-S beltway.  Then follow the W-S beltway to US 421.  Then follow that to Boone. 

An alternative to this could be to use a more northerly route say like around the NC 62 corridor to connect from US 421 to I-74.

X99

Quote from: froggie on October 01, 2019, 04:17:32 PM

Don't worry, this is the one that actually cares about the environment, unlike... the other one...
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

wdcrft63

Relax, everyone. The upgrades to create I-42 and I-87 will keep NCDOT busy for a long time. These ideas belong in the Fictional forum.

X99

Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 01, 2019, 06:20:52 PM

Relax, everyone. The upgrades to create I-42 and I-87 will keep NCDOT busy for a long time. These ideas belong in the Fictional forum.
They came from the Fictional forum.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

sprjus4

Quote from: X99 on October 01, 2019, 06:31:27 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 01, 2019, 06:20:52 PM

They came from the Fictional forum.
Keep this in the fictional forum. This is a board for discussion to general North Carolina topics that don't have their own thread.

sprjus4

I thought it was him until I saw the actual post.

Mr. ENC

I had my version of I-42 use that same routing expect it continues to Asheboro, use the Asheboro Bypass, and turning more towards NC 49 until it ties into I-85 near Kannapolis. That way it can be used as a Charlotte route without having to go through th Triad, or barley much of the Triangle.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr. ENC on October 02, 2019, 07:33:14 AM

I had my version of I-42 use that same routing expect it continues to Asheboro, use the Asheboro Bypass, and turning more towards NC 49 until it ties into I-85 near Kannapolis. That way it can be used as a Charlotte route without having to go through th Triad, or barley much of the Triangle.

Please keep the fictional stuff in the fictional section of the forum. Thanks!

LM117

The ferry system has announced new schedules and NC-12 on Ocracoke Island will reopen this Thursday, albeit with limitations.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-10-01-ocracoke-emergency-routes-october.aspx

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-10-02-johnston-county-nc-42-repairs.aspx

Quote​CLAYTON — Contract crews will conduct lane closures on a stretch of N.C. 42 in Johnston County on Thursday to make repairs to the pavement.

The two-lane highway will be reduced to one lane between Neuse River Parkway and Trillium Way between 9 a.m. and noon. The crew will patch an area of the pavement that has settled and caused a dip in the road.

Drivers should proceed slowly through the work zone, expect delays and be aware of flagging operations directing traffic through the opened lane.

This stretch is part of a $58.7 million contract awarded last year to widen 4.6 miles of N.C. 42, construct  a median and make other upgrades, which include installing new culverts underneath the highway. The project will be completed by the summer of 2022.

LM117

Two projects to build the US-221 Rutherfordton Bypass have been put on the 2020 Build NC bond issuance list with construction to begin next year.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-10-02-build-nc-funds-rutherfordton-bypass.aspx

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on October 02, 2019, 05:41:30 PM
Two projects to build the US-221 Rutherfordton Bypass have been put on the 2020 Build NC bond issuance list with construction to begin next year.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-10-02-build-nc-funds-rutherfordton-bypass.aspx
Any more projects going to get accelerated like this due to Build NC?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.