News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOneKEA

Quote from: bluecountry on August 28, 2021, 01:42:04 AM
Quote from: TheOneKEA on August 15, 2021, 07:45:47 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on August 14, 2021, 08:21:24 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on July 22, 2021, 08:49:17 AM
Looks like construction for the next segment of the I-95 ETLs is starting.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-traffic-advisories/reconstruction-northbound-i-95-md-43-south-md-152

For anyone interested, plans show speed cameras at the end of the current ETLs covering both regular and express lanes.

So I'm confused, is the expansion just NB or SB?

Also, MD I 95 is awful north of MM 77 to north of Aberdeen, and frankly the Tydings bridge is inadequate.
Any plans to fix those?

Right now, only the northbound ETL carriage way is being constructed due to lack of available funds. Traffic going north is substantially worse due to the lane drop at MP 77 and the ascending gradient north of MD 24. Unless the plans changed again the northbound ETLs will terminate just north of Exit 80 (MD 543), just before the entrance ramp to Maryland House.

There is a longer-term program to widen I-95 to eight lanes beyond MD 543, across the Susquehanna and throughout Cecil County. In my personal opinion the Tydings Bridge should be expanded sufficiently when the widening occurs to allow for future ETL extensions beyond MD 543.

1.  Hmmmm, I wonder how that merge will work with the express lanes ending at the MD House?  That already is a bad merge due to it being a left hand one...would it have been better to do the merge after the MD House not before?

2.  I disagree about NB 95 being worse; SB 95 from Aberdeen to exit 77, and really to the local express lanes, sucks. 
Man, MD REALLY sucks compared to VA, the express lanes should  be bi-directional or at least reversible.
Moreover, I hate how they don't incentivize HOV.

3.  Do you have any links to the plans to make 95 eight lanes to Cecil County.

4.  IMO, for this section of 95, it should be:
-12 lanes to exit 80 (4 free + 2 HOT)
-10 lanes exit 80 across the Tydings (3 free + 2 HOT)
-8 lanes in Cecil county to DE

This is a long distance corridor crowded well beyond peak.

Regarding the left entrance/exit to Maryland House at the end of the ETLs, 8 have no idea what the plans are to mitigate the weaving. The MdTA used to have an entire plan set posted online but they've since changed their web site and only have info graphics and textual descriptions available. The best place to look for plans is at https://mdta.maryland.gov/I95ETLNB/MD43_to_MD152. Someday I hope I-95 is 10 lanes wide north of MD 543, just as you've said, because the entire route south of Exit 89 carries huge volumes of local commuter traffic to/from Harford County and there needs to be a segregated facility for true long-distance traffic throughout the county.

I disagree with your assertion that the ETLs should be reversible; I am very pleased that the MdTA chose to build non-reversible carriageways. My experiences with the reversible lanes on the Bay Bridge have strongly affected my perception of reversible facilities and I believe that they would not have been successful on I-95 north of Baltimore. As for traffic flows on southbound I-95, I can only say that I far more frequently observed traffic jams on the northbound side in the area I mentioned instead of southbound traffic jams. Regarding the incentivization of HOV, I've never once seen the MdTA even mention that as an option.

Quote from: Alex4897 on August 28, 2021, 01:50:04 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on August 28, 2021, 01:44:13 AM
2) Also the local/express configuration is 3 local/2 express across the bridge, but it appears there is ample need and space to make it 3 local/3 express, why isn't it this way and are there plans?

I've been wondering the same thing. There's a 650 ft / 1,800 ft chunk on the WB / EB carriageways respectively in the middle of the US 1 interchange where the extra wide left shoulder vanishes inexplicably. Does this have anything to do with it?

The empty space on the inside of the inner spans of the Wilson Bridge was built to provide passive provision for a public transit facility. Everything from bus lanes, to tramways, to light rail, to even a heavy rail Metro facility, has been debated for that empty space. Scott Kozel's Roads to the Future pages on the project have extensive commentary on this topic.

bluecountry

Thanks, you mis understood me on reversible express lanes.
I meant, if they are ONLY building it NB, then make it reversible, but ideally, build it bi-directional.

froggie

Quote from: TheOneKEA on August 28, 2021, 07:10:33 AM
Quote from: Alex4897 on August 28, 2021, 01:50:04 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on August 28, 2021, 01:44:13 AM
2) Also the local/express configuration is 3 local/2 express across the bridge, but it appears there is ample need and space to make it 3 local/3 express, why isn't it this way and are there plans?

I've been wondering the same thing. There's a 650 ft / 1,800 ft chunk on the WB / EB carriageways respectively in the middle of the US 1 interchange where the extra wide left shoulder vanishes inexplicably. Does this have anything to do with it?

The empty space on the inside of the inner spans of the Wilson Bridge was built to provide passive provision for a public transit facility. Everything from bus lanes, to tramways, to light rail, to even a heavy rail Metro facility, has been debated for that empty space. Scott Kozel's Roads to the Future pages on the project have extensive commentary on this topic.

It's more than just that.  Long-term plans (which the project accommodated for) include an HOV/HOT interchange at Route 1.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: bluecountry on August 28, 2021, 10:47:23 AM
Thanks, you mis understood me on reversible express lanes.
I meant, if they are ONLY building it NB, then make it reversible, but ideally, build it bi-directional.

Everything I have read strongly implies that the MdTA fully intends to build a southbound ETL extension, and that the only thing preventing it is their inability to finance it, given their current financial commitments. Now that the Canton Viaduct and the Key Bridge toll plaza elimination are finished, I suspect that the MdTA will be working steadily on finishing the removal of the Bay Bridge toll plaza and the Tydings Bridge toll plaza and continuing their work on the northbound ETLs and the new Nice Bridge. I wouldn't expect the southbound ETLs to be extended until late this decade.

epzik8

They've been working on the ETLs between 74 and 77 for a while now, I believe.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

lepidopteran

...would it have been better to do the merge after the MD House not before?
This raises a different question.  If the ETL lanes were to be extended past MD House, how would traffic in the non-ETL lanes access the median-based service plaza, if the toll lanes are "in the way"?

Best method IMHO would be to have flyover ramps from (and to) the right lanes of the mainline.  This would eliminate those pesky left exits and entrances.  The ETL traffic could use the existing surface ramps.  Heck, may as well add flyovers to Chesapeake and Delaware House while we're at it.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: epzik8 on August 30, 2021, 07:11:12 PM
They've been working on the ETLs between 74 and 77 for a while now, I believe.

The most prominent work I've observed has been the replacement of the overpasses for the local county roads north of the Big Gunpowder River. The largest projects not yet started are the replacement of the Mountain Road and Old Mountain Road overpasses at Exit 74, and the expansion/redecking of the northbound bridges over the Big and Little Gunpowder Rivers.

bluecountry

So this project will bring the NB ETL to exit 77 or exit 80?

Alps

Quote from: lepidopteran on August 30, 2021, 09:29:38 PM
...would it have been better to do the merge after the MD House not before?
This raises a different question.  If the ETL lanes were to be extended past MD House, how would traffic in the non-ETL lanes access the median-based service plaza, if the toll lanes are "in the way"?

Best method IMHO would be to have flyover ramps from (and to) the right lanes of the mainline.  This would eliminate those pesky left exits and entrances.  The ETL traffic could use the existing surface ramps.  Heck, may as well add flyovers to Chesapeake and Delaware House while we're at it.

Hypotheticals.

jmacswimmer

While we're on the subject of I-95/JFK Highway:

I drove the stretch the weekend before last, and it looks like MDTA is getting closer to moving traffic into the temporary configuration thru now-demolished lanes 6-8 at the toll plaza - much of the pavement immediately preceding the plaza has been milled down, and asphalt paving across the former lanes & booths appeared to be well underway.

Additionally, these signs located on approach to the toll plaza have been removed and replaced with all-electronic tolling signage similar to what was installed at the Key & Bay Bridges (which means in the immediate short term, there is little warning of the upcoming toll plaza).  There were also 2 new ground-mounted signs installed in the median between exits 85 & 89 indicating all-electronic tolling and the toll rate (only showing the discounted MD E-ZPass rate, per usual with MDTA).

Upon returning southbound the next day, it appeared the new toll gantry was sitting in the median, roughly here, awaiting erection in the near future.

Finally, on a nitpicking note: the blue "TOLL" banner on this shield assembly past exit 89 was replaced with a proper yellow one  :D
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

TheOneKEA

Has the MdTA made any official announcements about the implementation of two-way tolling at the former one-way toll locations? It looks like a westbound gantry has been passively provisioned at the Bay Bridge near the existing eastbound gantry.

The MD 32 widening is progressing very well, but I am curious about the relocation of the Middle Patuxent River. Was it relocated to minimize flood risks to the new carriage ways? Was it relocated for storm water management?

74/171FAN

I just looked up the MD 97 Brookeville Bypass project, and completion has been pushed back to the end of the next year.

QuoteThe Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration (MDOT SHA) continues work on the MD 97 (Georgia Avenue) dual lane construction ("Brookeville Bypass" ) project.

After the most recent review of the project's schedule, it has been determined that additional time will be needed  to complete the project. Progress permitting, the new estimated completion date for the project is year-end 2022. The previously  announced estimated completion date for the project was late summer 2021.

The new estimated completion date for the project is directly attributable to a bridge redesign work, utility relocation delays, slope repair and excavation work delays, weather and impacts of COVID-19 on the scheduling availability of work crews.

Through the end of the project, MDOT SHA will continue to intermittently close lanes on the following roads:

-   MD 97 from north of Gold Mine Road to south of Holiday Drive–weekdays 8 a.m. to  4 p.m. and overnight, Sunday through Thursday, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.

-   Brighton Dam Road near MD 97–weekdays, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., and weekends, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Additional work times and lane closures may be needed to expedite all phases of work and keep the project on schedule. Equipment used for construction may be disruptive.

Bridge abutment work will continue from now through the end of the year. As abutment work continues, crews will turn their attention to soil/slope/roadway stabilization and stream restoration work. Once those items are complete, crews will have a pathway to perform concrete and rebar work for the project.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

MASTERNC

Quote from: TheOneKEA on September 03, 2021, 09:31:47 PM
Has the MdTA made any official announcements about the implementation of two-way tolling at the former one-way toll locations? It looks like a westbound gantry has been passively provisioned at the Bay Bridge near the existing eastbound gantry.

The MD 32 widening is progressing very well, but I am curious about the relocation of the Middle Patuxent River. Was it relocated to minimize flood risks to the new carriage ways? Was it relocated for storm water management?

I thought MDTA was installing an automated gate system for the two-way traffic. I imagine that could be for a VMS?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on September 03, 2021, 09:31:47 PM

That might be for a virtual weigh station.

I saw nothing in the current Consolidated Transportation Program that implied a change to two-way electronic toll collection (though IMO it is a good idea).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex

From a text Bob sent me:

Gov. Hogan Announces Plans To Expand Route 90

QuoteOCEAN CITY, Md.- At the Maryland Association of Counties conference in Ocean City, Gov. Larry Hogan announced that the state plans to fund a project planning phase for Route 90 improvements.

Quote"In fact, while we are here in Ocean City, I am pleased to announce for the first time here today that our new CTP [Consolidated Transportation Program] will include funding for the planning of the long-awaited and desperately needed MD Route 90–the gateway to Ocean City–project," the governor said.

QuoteMore details will be available about the plans in early September when the state releases the Consolidated Transportation Program.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: Alex on September 05, 2021, 04:26:50 PM
From a text Bob sent me:

QuoteOCEAN CITY, Md.- At the Maryland Association of Counties conference in Ocean City, Gov. Larry Hogan announced that the state plans to fund a project planning phase for Route 90 improvements.

Quote"In fact, while we are here in Ocean City, I am pleased to announce for the first time here today that our new CTP [Consolidated Transportation Program] will include funding for the planning of the long-awaited and desperately needed MD Route 90–the gateway to Ocean City–project," the governor said.

QuoteMore details will be available about the plans in early September when the state releases the Consolidated Transportation Program.

The obvious solution from my perspective is a grade separation on the Isle of Wight and a new carriageway west of the Ocean Parkway underpass. Constructing a new pair of long bridges across Assawoman Bay and the St Martin River would be very expensive, and if the Isle of Wight intersection can be replaced I think the existing bridges might be just sufficient.

Alps

Quote from: Alex on September 05, 2021, 04:26:50 PM
From a text Bob sent me:

expect the addition of bikey-wikey lanes and roundabouts!

cpzilliacus

First ramp meters ever in Maryland.

WTOP Radio: Ramp metering system starts on I-270.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

MASTERNC

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 15, 2021, 10:38:48 AM
First ramp meters ever in Maryland.

WTOP Radio: Ramp metering system starts on I-270.

Interesting that the meters are giving both lanes a green light simultaneously.  In other locales, only one lane gets a green at a time so there's no worry about merging into one lane on the ramp and then merging into traffic.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MASTERNC on September 15, 2021, 02:32:59 PM
Interesting that the meters are giving both lanes a green light simultaneously.  In other locales, only one lane gets a green at a time so there's no worry about merging into one lane on the ramp and then merging into traffic.

The meters with more than one lane (not including HOV queue jumpers) I have seen in California seem to allow one vehicle in each lane to go, and are both green at the same time.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Maryland toll authority was unaware it was overcharging motorists, audit finds

QuoteThe Maryland Transportation Authority, which operates toll facilities around the state, didn't know it was overcharging motorists, a review by legislative auditors concluded.

QuoteEven after billing mistakes were flagged in December 2019, the authority conducted only "limited"  reviews to determine the extent of the problem, according to the report.

QuoteDel. Al Carr (D-Montgomery), who has tracked MDTA issues, noted that period covered by the audit – May 10, 2016 to March 4, 2020 – ended long ago. He said the true scope of Maryland's toll-collection problem goes deeper than the report uncovered.

The entire audit report can be found here.

Mergingtraffic

Drove around Baltimore yesterday and noticed the US-40 bridge at Hamilton Pkwy is almost done and the ancient button copy on US-40 in that area is replaced.  IDK about the Pkwy itself as I didn't drive on it.

Some of the ancient button copy on MD-295 is also replaced with the Triple Bridges project.  To me that's huge.  The plans called for the signs to be replaced in 2023, so they are replacing some of them early.  The replacements are in Clearview.  UGH!

So far the following is gone:

This was replaced, also another sign was added a 1 Mile advance sign for the Westport exit. In Clearview.

This was replaced as well and now has an "Exit Only" panel at the bottom, so maybe they're adding a lane?  The "Exit Only" panel was still covered up. Also in Clearview.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

kj3400

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 20, 2021, 02:13:03 PM
Drove around Baltimore yesterday and noticed the US-40 bridge at Hamilton Pkwy is almost done and the ancient button copy on US-40 in that area is replaced.  IDK about the Pkwy itself as I didn't drive on it.

It's Hilton Pkwy. I was sitting here wondering what bridge as I only knew of one bridge on US 40 in the city under construction. Anyways, it's about time, and I know the Herring Run Bridge on MD 147/Harford Rd is almost finished too.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Henry

Speaking of things that are or may be gone soon, I-170 is targeted for removal, but we've heard that many times before. In fact, the only part that was actually removed is the unused elevated section west of US 1, along with the onramp going west. This time, though, the entire freeway is likely to be destroyed, if a new infrastructure bill ends up getting passed.

Below is a 2000 essay by Terry Wikberg that provides a more detailed look at the 10-D and 3-A systems and their respective failures to provide a complete citywide network:

https://digitalcommons.law.umaryland.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://en.wikipedia.org/&httpsredir=1&article=1012&context=mlh_pubs

Another good read is this blog and the part Robert Moses (whose buildings and highways nearly destroyed New York) played in it:

https://communityarchitectdaily.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-ultimate-insult-highway-to-nowhere.html
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cpzilliacus

This might not normally be on-topic here, even though many of the members here like
Sheetz (including me).  But the location of the new Sheetz in Anne Arundel County makes
it relevant, the (I believe) current site of a Shell Station on MD-170 (Aviation Boulevard) at
Air Cargo Drive
and GSV here - this is part of the land that makes up BWI Airport, and
is owned by the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) through the Maryland
Aviation Administration (MAA).

WBAL-TV (11): Sheetz to open first Anne Arundel County location

QuoteSheetz is posed for takeoff on another Greater Baltimore store.

QuoteThe Pennsylvania-based convenience chain, which mostly has a presence in the western
part of Maryland, is developing a gas station and store at Baltimore-Washington International
Thurgood Marshall Airport.

QuoteThe Maryland Board of Public Works approved a sublease for the location last week after
previously awarding a contract in January 2020 to PMG BWI Airport Plaza Developers LLC to
develop the site. Falls Church, Virginia-based PMG Airport Plazas builds and operates service plazas
at airports across the country and already operates an existing gas station and convenience
store at BWI-Marshall.

The Maryland Board of Public Works has to approve deals of this type, and below is the relevant text from the
BPW agenda (starting page 55)  package:

QuoteThe  contractor  was  awarded  a  contract  to  operate  two  sites  on 
Airport property.  The contractor proposed one brand to operate Site 1 and Site 2 which are less
than  two  miles  apart.    In  order  to  diversify,  the  contractor  solicited  interested  parties  willing  to 
sublease Site 1.  After Board of Public Works approval to allow the contractor to sublet Site 1, the
contractor has negotiated sublease terms and conditions with a nationally recognized gas station
and convenience store concept, SHEETZ, Inc.

QuoteDue to the length of time to negotiate such sublease, MDOT  MAA  and  the  contractor 
wish  to  further  modify  the  contractor's  lease  and  its  Pre-Construction  Period  for  Site  1 
to  coincide  with  the  execution  date  of  the  new  sublease  with  SHEETZ, Inc.    This type of
revenue-producing contract at a transportation facility is outside the scope of the State
Procurement  Law.  See  State  Finance  and  Procurement  Article,  Section  11-202(3);  COMAR 
21.01.03.03.B(1)(d).  However,  the  contract  must  be  approved  by  the  Board  of  Public  Works 
because  the  contract  constitutes  the  use  and  lease  of  State  property  under  State  Finance  and 
Procurement Article, Section 10-305.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.