News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest Divided Road Under Four Lanes?

Started by Avalanchez71, June 30, 2016, 12:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Anyone have any idea what the longest road is that is divided that is less than four lanes?

2Co5_14

The 2-lane stretch of I-93 through Franconia Notch, NH is about 5 miles long - it is divided by a double-faced guardrail in the median.

CA-37 between Vallejo and Sears Point, CA has a 9 mile stretch with 2 lanes separated by a concrete barrier.

RobbieL2415

The Mid-Cape Highway (US 6) east of Exit 9B in Dennis, MA is a super-2.  It was un-divided until some bad accidents in the 80s forced MassHighway's hand into installing a small median with reflective steaks.

riiga

The E4 north of Gävle in Sweden is divided for about 150 km, alternating between one and two lanes in each direction (2+1 road).

Mapmikey

A contender is US 1 from the south end of Homestead at Card Sound Rd to Key Largo...

About 20 miles with a blue jersey wall and 2 lanes or 3 lanes total throughout except there is a 3/4 mile section about 5 miles south of Card Sound Rd where both sides have a passing lane.  There are a few intersections  where there are 4 lanes but one in at least one direction is a dedicated turn lane.

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on June 30, 2016, 01:23:31 PM
The E4 north of Gävle in Sweden is divided for about 150 km, alternating between one and two lanes in each direction (2+1 road).

I'm pretty sure Europe (err, more specifically, Sweden) has us beat.

empirestate

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 30, 2016, 01:15:18 PM
The Mid-Cape Highway (US 6) east of Exit 9B in Dennis, MA is a super-2.  It was un-divided until some bad accidents in the 80s forced MassHighway's hand into installing a small median with reflective steaks.

I thought of that one too. How long is it?

iPhone

RobbieL2415

That stretch is 12.4 miles.

It may be one of only a handful of US Numbered Highways to go through every different roadway configuration.

Avalanchez71

I guess that is a divided highway in the technical sense.  Are U-turns regulated on that stretch?

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 30, 2016, 02:40:47 PM

I guess that is a divided highway in the technical sense.  Are U-turns regulated on that stretch?
No U-turns.  Passing was allowed prior to the median installation.

WillWeaverRVA

MD 90 is a divided super-2 from US 113 to the bridge to Ocean City (where it stops being a freeway).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on June 30, 2016, 02:00:26 PM
Quote from: riiga on June 30, 2016, 01:23:31 PM

I'm pretty sure Europe (err, more specifically, Sweden) has us beat.

Yeah, I was assuming Sweden would hold the record. I'm glad someone had actual numbers.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 30, 2016, 01:26:35 PM
A contender is US 1 from the south end of Homestead at Card Sound Rd to Key Largo...

About 20 miles with a blue jersey wall and 2 lanes or 3 lanes total throughout except there is a 3/4 mile section about 5 miles south of Card Sound Rd where both sides have a passing lane.  There are a few intersections  where there are 4 lanes but one in at least one direction is a dedicated turn lane.

I remember that stretch going from Miami to my grandparents' house in The Keys, especially for the consecutive signs that said:  "Patience" "Pays" "Only" "3 Minutes" "To" "Passing" "Zone" (I see on GSV they've been replaced)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Avalanchez71

I remember there were signs that said that FHP monitors CB channel 9 as well along US 1.

Rothman

What about MA-2's Super 2 length?  Probably shorter than US 6 on the Cape, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

MassDOT did not retrofit a median on MA 2 west of the Athol Rd underpass, so for the purposes of this thread it's only about 6 miles.

Passing is still allowed on some of the Super-2 segments near Orange.

coatimundi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 30, 2016, 09:27:24 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on June 30, 2016, 01:26:35 PM

I remember that stretch going from Miami to my grandparents' house in The Keys, especially for the consecutive signs that said:  "Patience" "Pays" "Only" "3 Minutes" "To" "Passing" "Zone" (I see on GSV they've been replaced)

I remember those, so it couldn't have been that long ago, because it was maybe 2013 when I was down there.
On the way back, I got pulled over for passing. The guy in front of me was going like 10 under, but the cop said I just barely hit the double yellow on the way back in. No ticket though. And good for them: this is a really dangerous road. Coming back from Key West, there's a good chance that a few of the other drivers are drunk (I made sure to sober up before leaving).

Avalanchez71

I wouldn't call that stretch a controlled access highway as I seem to recall a couple of access points and one business.  Although I could be thinking of Card Sound Rd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.