News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road Meet Preference: Visiting a new road before or after it opens?

Started by Laura, December 28, 2023, 02:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At road meets, do you prefer visiting a new road before or after it opens?

Before
10 (55.6%)
After
8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Laura

Hi all, I've been having conversations with road geeks about this recently and wanted to know what the community thinks at large. When attending a road meet, do you personally prefer visiting a new road before it opens or after it opens?

Whenever possible, my personal preference is to be able to visit a new road before it opens because then I get to walk in areas as a pedestrian that otherwise may not be possible once there is traffic! I also like seeing the construction process of the road/bridges/et cetera, too!

Rothman

Depends.  When some meets are scheduled, I think just driving through or somehow overlooking a construction site can be tiresome.  Maybe you have to time the meet to be during one of the more exciting phases of construction, but for longer term projects, most of the time I'm just waiting for them to be done.  For instance, I-81 right now -- not so interesting to me at all.  Driving through I-69 in IN, already done it, but can still see how some people would like to see it while it's still being worked on.  I'd rather drive through it when it's done at this point.

Maybe it really does come to one's personal preference and interest depending upon the particular project. 

I liked being taken on a boat by FHWA on the Potomac when the Woodrow Wilson Bridge was built.  But driving through SC this past summer, when it seemed a lot of its Interstates were under construction at once?  Blech.

Then again, I always like driving on a recently opened road.  Always.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Doesn't much matter.  Sometimes it's good to see the construction, and then it's good to see the completed product.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Depends on the project.  The whole hook to Bakersfield in April is that the Centennial Corridor will be open by then.  Right now there is no way to access the project zone.  When we did Fresno there was a bunch of HSR structures not being used but had easily accessible vantage points.

Alps

I have that photo of me in the middle of I-885. I don't like new roads. I like former roads and future roads.

(Now you may ask, why did I go to Missing Moves after it opened? Simple. I already got a few photos of the boring piers under construction. I wanted to drive it to log the miles and have an excuse to gather with people, but it's really quite boring overall, which is the point of building a new road.)

roadwaywiz95

I think it depends on the project and the location. For the purposes of my YouTube work, I'm always going to lean toward seeing the completed product shortly after opening. This is especially the case if I'm at a meet in a location I'm unlikely to make it back to anytime soon. Having said that, the construction field engineer in me always gets a kick out of seeing something substantial as a work in progress.
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

cjk374

Sometimes you see the "unexpected"....

During my 2018 Shreveport/Caddo Parish meet, we stopped at a cul-de-sac where a construction trailer was located for the I-220/I-49 interchange construction site. It was months away from finally opening up. The new overheads were up, and it was really fun to see a road free of traffic just before it was finished.

And then someone yelled and unexpected sentence: "LOOK! A HORSE!!" Yep, little did I even notice right next to where we parked, someone had their horse tied off to a steel fence post. He was just there eating the grass wondering what in the world we were all doing there.

Definitely a memorable moment for a road meet....along with the P00 bus. (IYKYK)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

CtrlAltDel

If I had to pick, I'd say before, if only because it's a rarer experience. But like many others have said, both have their benefits.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Duke87

After, so I can clinch it.

I don't necessarily mind checking out construction given the opportunity though.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

Ideally both.  I think that the current tradition where the meet usually happens before it opens is good.  The one catch, I suppose, is that there was a stage in my life where I didn't have a car and hence couldn't easily go back on my own.  For people in that situation, a meet after the construction is finished can be good.  Although honestly, it's enjoyable either way.

vdeane

Viewing construction is definitely interesting but overall I prefer after because I'm not necessarily sure when I'm going to get back to most places, given how the available travel weekends for me tend to be in high demand and I have to pick and choose.  This is especially true for anywhere requiring an overnight trip.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Because of the uniqueness of being able to stand on and observe the roadway without traffic, I'd prefer before a road opens...albeit with some sort of permission or an area that would be relatively accessible without any issues.

Of the road meets I didn't get to, the one I missed the most (because of a work issue I couldn't leave) was the future 95 ramps between the PA Turnpike and existing 95, in which participants also got to drive on the ramps.

I did have the opportunity to visit and walk on DE 1 at a public grand opening event a few days before that roadway opened in the Smyrna area.

Another unique situation was when the Ben Franklin Bridge had their 75th anniversary, shutting the bridge down to traffic and allowing pedestrians to walk on the bridge, which I took advantage of.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.