News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Signage for Trump highway in Oklahoma remains unfunded

Started by bugo, December 15, 2021, 10:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2021, 04:27:52 PM
Of note is that the 1961 AASHO Manual for Signing and Pavement Marking of the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways (which was basically a quasi-MUTCD supplement that went into more detail about proper Interstate signage than the 1961 MUTCD did) actually banned these signs:

Obviously the state DOTs didn't care, and this guidance later morphed into the wishy-washy Section 2M.10 of the 2009 MUTCD:

Quote from: 2009 MUTCD
Guidance:
Such memorial or dedication names should not appear on or along a highway, or be placed on bridges or other highway components. If a route, bridge, or highway component is officially designated as a memorial or dedication, and if notification of the memorial or dedication is to be made on the highway right-of-way, such notification should consist of installing a memorial or dedication marker in a rest area, scenic overlook, recreational area, or other appropriate location where parking is provided with the signing inconspicuously located relative to vehicle operations along the highway.

Option:
03 If the installation of a memorial or dedication marker off the main roadway is not practical, memorial or dedication signs may be installed on the mainline.

Somehow I don't think all of the instances in Oklahoma where signs appear on the mainline were examined for their practicality or lack thereof.

West Virginia hasn't been shy about naming its interstates after politicians. I-64 for Cecil Underwood and I-79 for Jennings Randolph are the ones that pop readily into mind. They're also increasingly naming bridges on the interstates for people.

Meanwhile, when the non-interstate portion of US 23 in Tennessee south of the terminus of I-181 was being converted to I-26, mention was made that signage for all those memorial bridges that had been installed between Johnson City and the state line would have to be removed to bring the road into compliance with federal interstate standards. Nevermind that there were similar signs along the posted portion of I-181 and the entire road was (and still is) signed as the James H. Quillen Parkway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MikieTimT

skluth

Quote from: hbelkins on December 16, 2021, 09:25:44 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2021, 04:27:52 PM
Of note is that the 1961 AASHO Manual for Signing and Pavement Marking of the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways (which was basically a quasi-MUTCD supplement that went into more detail about proper Interstate signage than the 1961 MUTCD did) actually banned these signs:

Obviously the state DOTs didn't care, and this guidance later morphed into the wishy-washy Section 2M.10 of the 2009 MUTCD:

Quote from: 2009 MUTCD
Guidance:
Such memorial or dedication names should not appear on or along a highway, or be placed on bridges or other highway components. If a route, bridge, or highway component is officially designated as a memorial or dedication, and if notification of the memorial or dedication is to be made on the highway right-of-way, such notification should consist of installing a memorial or dedication marker in a rest area, scenic overlook, recreational area, or other appropriate location where parking is provided with the signing inconspicuously located relative to vehicle operations along the highway.

Option:
03 If the installation of a memorial or dedication marker off the main roadway is not practical, memorial or dedication signs may be installed on the mainline.

Somehow I don't think all of the instances in Oklahoma where signs appear on the mainline were examined for their practicality or lack thereof.

West Virginia hasn't been shy about naming its interstates after politicians. I-64 for Cecil Underwood and I-79 for Jennings Randolph are the ones that pop readily into mind. They're also increasingly naming bridges on the interstates for people.

Meanwhile, when the non-interstate portion of US 23 in Tennessee south of the terminus of I-181 was being converted to I-26, mention was made that signage for all those memorial bridges that had been installed between Johnson City and the state line would have to be removed to bring the road into compliance with federal interstate standards. Nevermind that there were similar signs along the posted portion of I-181 and the entire road was (and still is) signed as the James H. Quillen Parkway.

That's obviously gone by the wayside. Illinois' I-88 toll road is called the Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway and I-90/ Northwest Tollway is now the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway. I-270 around Denver is named after Eisenhower. I-105 in LA is named after someone named Glenn Anderson. There are interstates all over the country named for people.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bugo on December 16, 2021, 07:36:03 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2021, 12:20:07 PM
There used to be a poster here who would consistently use the name "Liberty Parkway" to refer to some highway in Tulsa and we would clown on him for it because nobody ever used that name in real life.

He called it "Liberty Memorial Parkway". I didn't even know Liberty was dead.

They made a movie about his death. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Shot_Liberty_Valance
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Rothman

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 22, 2021, 12:47:58 AM
There used to be a poster here who would consistently use the name "Liberty Parkway" to refer to some highway in Tulsa and we would clown on him for it because nobody ever used that name in real life.

They made a movie about his death. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Shot_Liberty_Valance
Of course, Liberty Valance was known for being a murderer, so someone naming a road after him is a bit interesting. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on December 22, 2021, 06:51:50 AM

Of course, Liberty Valance was known for being a murderer, so someone naming a road after him is a bit interesting. :D

Murderers have been honored elsewhere. Until Yugoslavia collapsed, there was a bridge in Sarajevo named after Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assassin. Things you learn from watching the Olympics.

oscar

Quote from: skluth on December 17, 2021, 04:49:26 PM
That's obviously gone by the wayside. Illinois' I-88 toll road is called the Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway and I-90/ Northwest Tollway is now the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway. I-270 around Denver is named after Eisenhower. I-105 in LA is named after someone named Glenn Anderson. There are interstates all over the country named for people.

Most of Hawaii's Interstate network is named for people. The western part of H-1 is named for Hawaii's last reigning monarch. The rest of H-1 is named for one of her royal predecessors. H-3 is named for one of Hawaii's first post-statehood governors. H-2 has a more generic memorial name, the Veterans Memorial Freeway. All of these, except for the eastern part of H-1, were designated in 2002.

The name signs are all along the freeway mainlines, there being no better place to put them. For example, there are no Interstate rest areas in Hawaii.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

Quote from: skluth on December 22, 2021, 05:45:56 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 22, 2021, 06:51:50 AM

Murderers have been honored elsewhere. Until Yugoslavia collapsed, there was a bridge in Sarajevo named after Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assassin. Things you learn from watching the Olympics.
In that case, the assassin was thought of as a hero.  Liberty Valance is one of the most notorious villains in cinematic history.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.