News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Downtown Wilmington Delaware I-95 Reconstruction Project.

Started by Tonytone, October 09, 2018, 02:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

So it seems that Del-dot will finally be tackling I-95 Thru the city of Wilmington. https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/traffic/2018/10/09/5-things-you-need-know-massive-95-project-through-wilmington/1577581002/

In a previous article it stated that it would have took 5 years to do the construction in parts but, they decided to do it all at once and it will take 2 years. Last time I checked I thought doing projects in smaller sizes was actually quicker then doing it all at once, Does this mean The city will finally see 3 constant lanes up to the 202 exit?(and vice versa) I-95 is supposed to be 12 lanes 6 in each way anyway. (From reading old Newspapers from the 70's and 80's).

P.S. I made this topic because I figure it's gonna be talked about alot in the next coming years.
Promoting Cities since 1998!

froggie

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on October 09, 2018, 03:12:19 PM
^ It's already being talked about in this thread.
True, but that's only because that I-95 Maryland thread went off into a tangent with the upcoming Wilmington project.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Honestly - this project has been given way too much press considering it's not going to begin for about 2.5 years.  Anything written about it today will be long forgotten by the time the project actually starts.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 09, 2018, 03:47:23 PM
Honestly - this project has been given way too much press considering it's not going to begin for about 2.5 years.  Anything written about it today will be long forgotten by the time the project actually starts.

We need to convince Deldot to make Better plans!

Alps

I don't trust DelDOT to build I-95 to its true capacity need. They want to keep encouraging traffic on I-495. The only exception I can see is if they feel they need to use I-95 for spare capacity to completely rebuild the trouble I-495 bridge by closing half at a time. Then you build out I-95, squeeze in 3 lanes each way during 495 construction, then return to 2 lanes with shoulders.

seicer

Considering what's being done to I-95, which is more of an extensive repair than a rebuild, I don't foresee the highway being expanded upon until its next true rebuild decades from now. And even then, if through traffic is being routed to I-495, wouldn't it make sense for the highways to swap places? For I-95 to be the through route on the bypass rather than through the center of a city?

sparker

Quote from: seicer on October 09, 2018, 09:15:58 PM
Considering what's being done to I-95, which is more of an extensive repair than a rebuild, I don't foresee the highway being expanded upon until its next true rebuild decades from now. And even then, if through traffic is being routed to I-495, wouldn't it make sense for the highways to swap places? For I-95 to be the through route on the bypass rather than through the center of a city?

Does the incident rate (per mile) differ significantly for I-95 and I-495 -- considering most commercial traffic uses the latter facility?  The last time I was on I-95 through Wilmington (early 2000's) it seemed pretty archaic for a portion of an arterial Interstate (bypass or not!); I would imagine that any revamping would be more for the sake of safety than capacity.

seicer

Probably. Looking at the DelDOT site and historic aerials, it looks like portions of the highway were being significantly reworked as early as 1980? I can't see too much being done capacity wise that would not directly impact more of the neighborhood unless the earthen berms were removed in the depressed stretch.

Tonytone

Quote from: seicer on October 09, 2018, 11:12:52 PM
Probably. Looking at the DelDOT site and historic aerials, it looks like portions of the highway were being significantly reworked as early as 1980? I can't see too much being done capacity wise that would not directly impact more of the neighborhood unless the earthen berms were removed in the depressed stretch.
I believe I-95 and I-495 were repaved in the 80's because of the pavement was suffering from concrete cancer.

Beltway

Quote from: Tonytone on October 09, 2018, 11:57:30 PM
I believe I-95 and I-495 were repaved in the 80's because of the pavement was suffering from concrete cancer.

Not sure about I-95, but I-495 which was opened in 1977 had early major deterioration and spalling of concrete pavement, and they completely replaced it around the late 1980s. 

"Concrete cancer is caused when the steel reinforcing within a concrete slab begins to rust. As the steel rusts it expands, displacing the concrete around it, causing it to become brittle and crack thus accelerating the process."
http://www.remedial.com.au/structural-repairs/concrete-cancer

It would need to crack enough to allow water to seep in an cause rust.  Very bad situation...
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on October 10, 2018, 06:21:23 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 09, 2018, 11:57:30 PM

Not sure about I-95, but I-495 which was opened in 1977 had early major deterioration and spalling of concrete pavement, and they completely replaced it around the late 1980s. 

"Concrete cancer is caused when the steel reinforcing within a concrete slab begins to rust. As the steel rusts it expands, displacing the concrete around it, causing it to become brittle and crack thus accelerating the process."
http://www.remedial.com.au/structural-repairs/concrete-cancer

It would need to crack enough to allow water to seep in an cause rust.  Very bad situation...

Because Delaware seemingly can't learn from its mistakes, the same thing happened on DE 1 north of the C&D canal a number of years later.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 10, 2018, 08:22:50 AM
Quote from: Beltway on October 10, 2018, 06:21:23 AM
Because Delaware seemingly can't learn from its mistakes, the same thing happened on DE 1 north of the C&D canal a number of years later.

Was there ever an official detailed report released on what happened on I-495?  I guess we know by default that the deterioration must have been pretty severe if they replaced the pavement after 10-12 years.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

seicer

Well, the concrete on I-95 was about a decade older (circa 1965) and repaved after 15 or so years (circa 1981) when the roadway was widened and the viaduct modified for new ramps.

Tonytone

While driving on I-95 south thru chester last night. It seems that the City of Chester has money in the transportation budget. Because they are repaving the road. Starting with the left lane around 322 W exit. Will we finally see remodeling on the corridor. Penndot also repaved the 2nd land upon passing PHL. I don't know why. That part was fine from what I remember unless trucks caused sinking & potholes I forgot about.

iPhone

qguy

Quote from: Tonytone on October 11, 2018, 01:45:27 AM
While driving on I-95 south thru chester last night. It seems that the City of Chester has money in the transportation budget. Because they are repaving the road. Starting with the left lane around 322 W exit. Will we finally see remodeling on the corridor. Penndot also repaved the 2nd land upon passing PHL. I don't know why. That part was fine from what I remember unless trucks caused sinking & potholes I forgot about.
iPhone

If I-95 is being repaved where it passes through Chester, Chester won't be paying for it, PennDOT will be. That will be funded directly by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

jeffandnicole

iPhone

The city of Chester has nothing to do with 95. That's PennDOT spending the money to do the paving.

Looking at the TIP that projects funding for projects out 12 years: On 95 itself, there is a near-term project to rehab and repaint the bridge decks in Chester, a project to repair the another bridge closer to the PA/DE State line, and a project scheduled for 2027 to add noise barriers thru Chester.  But nothing along the lines of widening 95. Even the long-awaited reconstruction of the 322 East/95 North interchange isn't scheduled until 2027-2030!

So, don't read anything into the repaving project. It's nothing more than routine repaving.

PHLBOS

Forgive me but what does a repaving project along I-95 in southeastern PA have to do with this Wilmington, DE thread topic project?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 11, 2018, 11:46:28 AM
Forgive me but what does a repaving project along I-95 in southeastern PA have to do with this Wilmington, DE thread topic project?
The fact that this is my post & I talk about 95 alot so I believe i can mention a paving in southeastern pa that shoulda been done years ago.

iPhone

PHLBOS

Quote from: Tonytone on October 11, 2018, 11:47:55 AM
The fact that this is my post & I talk about 95 alot so I believe I can mention a paving in southeastern pa that shoulda been done years ago.
Fine, but based on the thread topic title (which you started); most would assume that the discussion would be specific to I-95 in Downtown Wilmington... not I-95 anywhere/in general.

IMHO, if you wanted this thread to cover I-95 in multiple states/areas (such would be a tall order & would get out of control very quickly); then you should've titled it as such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 11, 2018, 12:16:33 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 11, 2018, 11:47:55 AM
The fact that this is my post & I talk about 95 alot so I believe I can mention a paving in southeastern pa that shoulda been done years ago.
Fine, but based on the thread topic title (which you started); most would assume that the discussion would be specific to I-95 in Downtown Wilmington... not I-95 anywhere/in general.

IMHO, if you wanted this thread to cover I-95 in multiple states/areas (such would be a tall order & would get out of control very quickly); then you should've titled it as such.
That is true P. I didnt want to come off as an ass. But people that drive thru I-95 Delaware most likely pass thru the tristate area & chester. So this post applies to all of the above.

iPhone

Alps

Tony, please do not introduce off topic conversation in this thread. Just because you started it doesn't make it "yours". Thank you.

Tonytone

I-95 Wilmington only needs widening from Exit 6. To Exit 9 202? Is that the right exit number? & the left "Shoulder"  On 95 is already wide enough for 3 lanes & a decent right shoulder. 2 lanes is just not possible is cities anymore.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on October 12, 2018, 10:51:03 PM
I-95 Wilmington only needs widening from Exit 6. To Exit 9 202? Is that the right exit number? & the left "Shoulder"  On 95 is already wide enough for 3 lanes & a decent right shoulder. 2 lanes is just not possible is cities anymore.

iPhone

What 95 are you talking about? The left shoulder is barely 3 feet wide as it goes thru downtown Wilmington...I'm surprised they managed to get the rumble strip in there.
https://goo.gl/maps/JKWBtSJHysT2 . For some reason GSV labels this solely as US 202, but this is I-95 North just past the MLK exit.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 13, 2018, 06:43:52 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 12, 2018, 10:51:03 PM

iPhone

What 95 are you talking about? The left shoulder is barely 3 feet wide as it goes thru downtown Wilmington...I'm surprised they managed to get the rumble strip in there.
https://goo.gl/maps/JKWBtSJHysT2 . For some reason GSV labels this solely as US 202, but this is I-95 North just past the MLK exit.

Right where exit 7 merges. The left lane is definitely travel size. Everything before that needs to be widened.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.