News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Philippine expressway system

Started by TheStranger, January 05, 2017, 10:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

bing101

TheStranger

Quote from: mrsman on July 05, 2019, 12:27:40 AM
It is interesting to see that so much of the skyway in the last video was built over the river.  It must be difficult to build like that, but at least no houses had to be destroyed to build the carriageway.  I imagine some level of destruction would be needed for the exits.

I'm not sure how many offramps are being placed between Buendia Avenue in Makati and the Balintawak cloverleaf - I've seen some general idea of such in the project maps online but not specific interchange designs, etc.

I do know that at the point where Osmena Highway and Quirino Avenue intersect in Manila, ca. early 2017 there were several fast food outlets in the southeast corner, all of which were closed down to accommodate the road right of way in the months since.

The new NLEX Harborlink spur did result in the elimination of some housing, looking at Google Street View photos of the area north of 5th Avenue.
Chris Sampang

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

bing101

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

bing101

bing101

TheStranger

With the completion of the Metro Manila Skyway to Plaza Dilao, the north-south freeway gap through Manila and Quezon City between the current Skyway north terminus and the current south terminus of NLEX Harbor Link in Caloocan is now only 8.8 kilometers long/5.48 miles, with that gap to eventually be closed with the completion of the Skyway by early 2020 as well as the concurrent NLEX-SLEX Connector project.

To compare similar through-corridor freeway gaps:

- Route 1 between Font Boulevard and Lake Street in SF is almost exactly the same distance, 5.4 miles! (This would have been supplanted by the original I-280 proposal for SF)
- US 101 between Lyon Street and the South Van Ness/Duboce/Central Freeway cloverleaf in SF is 3.6 miles.
- US 101 between the end of the freeway segment entering Eureka and the beginning of the Arcata freeway segment is 10.5 miles
- TCH 1 in Calgary between Alberta Route 1A and 19 Street NE is about 7.3 km/4.55 miles long.
- In Manhattan, the 34th Street segment between the Lincoln Tunnel and Queens Midtown Tunnel, which would have been connected with a I-495 extension proposed decades ago, is 1.8 miles long

Chris Sampang

TheStranger

Update on the Metro Manila Skyway...but not in Manila or Quezon City!

Instead this is at the current southern terminus at the SLEX in Alabang, which iteslf has enough congestion issues to warrant an extension of the Skyway southward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Vjryk4TZk
Chris Sampang

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

bing101

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

Kniwt

Quote from: TheStranger on August 12, 2019, 11:30:15 PM
Update on the Metro Manila Skyway...but not in Manila or Quezon City!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Vjryk4TZk

What I find somewhat remarkable is that contraflow traffic is using the inside lane ... apparently with no barricades or other form of control other than the really, really tiny traffic cones.

bing101

TheStranger

Just went down the Skyway from NAIA to the Amorsolo interchange about an hour and a half ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/csampang/albums/72157710481912742

Some new signage has been placed now that the route extends out to southern Manila:

DSC_3895e by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

The habit in this area to only point to the nearest destinations on pullthrough signage continues:

DSC_3886 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr
Chris Sampang

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: TheStranger on August 22, 2019, 03:41:26 AM
Just went down the Skyway from NAIA to the Amorsolo interchange about an hour and a half ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/csampang/albums/72157710481912742

Some new signage has been placed now that the route extends out to southern Manila:

DSC_3895e by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

The habit in this area to only point to the nearest destinations on pullthrough signage continues:

DSC_3886 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

Interesting to see Clearview has made it to the Philippines...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

TheStranger

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 23, 2019, 11:26:59 AM

Interesting to see Clearview has made it to the Philippines...

The pullthrough/road signage fonts in this area are not consistent at all, I've seen the classic FHWA font in certain spots (including on city street overhead signage in the city of Manila itself), some sort of Helvetica variant at intersections here in the Legazpi Village area of Makati for signage pointing towards the Skyway, and another font for the street signs in the Legazpi Village/Ayala Triangle areas:
Chris Sampang

bing101

bing101

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

bing101

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.