News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2020 Road Trip Plans

Started by thspfc, July 21, 2019, 12:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob60

Took a weekend road trip last week to the Salt Lake City area just to get away, do some shopping (I got my NES fixed at a retro game store down there), and to hit the Lagoon amusement park (yes they're open). The only other plans this summer now is a trip to Cedar Point and Kings Island in Ohio, which I've always wanted to visit (via airplane and rental car). I already have flights, hotels, and rental cars booked. Though everything is either able to be rescheduled in the case of flights (used the credit from a cancelled April trip here), or refundable in the case of hotels and rental car, if things change for the worse. We also bought Cedar Fair Platinum Passes, but those are good all the way through the 2021 season now.

Amusement parks, being largely outdoors and requiring masks, seem less risky than most other activities (eg. movie theaters, bars). As long as they're open and welcoming visitors, I'll partake. I'll gladly follow guidelines, use good hygiene, and wear masks while in public, but I'm not going to put my life on hold all year if I don't have to, as someone not in a high risk demographic.

ftballfan

Quote from: doorknob60 on June 19, 2020, 05:13:03 PM
Took a weekend road trip last week to the Salt Lake City area just to get away, do some shopping (I got my NES fixed at a retro game store down there), and to hit the Lagoon amusement park (yes they're open). The only other plans this summer now is a trip to Cedar Point and Kings Island in Ohio, which I've always wanted to visit (via airplane and rental car). I already have flights, hotels, and rental cars booked. Though everything is either able to be rescheduled in the case of flights (used the credit from a cancelled April trip here), or refundable in the case of hotels and rental car, if things change for the worse. We also bought Cedar Fair Platinum Passes, but those are good all the way through the 2021 season now.

Amusement parks, being largely outdoors and requiring masks, seem less risky than most other activities (eg. movie theaters, bars). As long as they're open and welcoming visitors, I'll partake. I'll gladly follow guidelines, use good hygiene, and wear masks while in public, but I'm not going to put my life on hold all year if I don't have to, as someone not in a high risk demographic.
I'm thinking about doing a Kings Island/Cedar Point double after the 4th (and maybe throw in Holiday World (which opened this past week) and Kentucky Kingdom (which opens on the 29th) as well).

Side note: I was at the Orlando parks when COVID was likely spreading the fastest (just before they closed and the only noticeable difference then was increased wiping of surfaces)

D-Dey65

Still waiting for my local mechanic to call me about the part I wanted to order for my car. Then I can start my Ocala regional photography crusade.

1995hoo

We have a schedule in October for my sister-in-law's burial. We will be driving out to Ohio. Has anyone ever taken US-35 from Charleston to Dayton? If so, how is that road? I'm thinking of taking Corridor H west to I-79, but since we've taken Corridor D between Clarksburg and Parkersburg on more than one occasion, I'm considering taking I-79 the other way down to Charleston and connecting to US-35. Looks like there's a fairly short section of two-lane road prior to crossing the Ohio River and then it appears to be a divided highway pretty much all the way to Dayton?

(Coming back I think we'll take the old I-70 route straight through Columbus and through the Wheeling Tunnel and on to New Stanton, then connect to the new US-219 south of Somerset. I figure this may be my final trip to Dayton, so I ought to knock off those segments while I can, and the Wheeling Tunnel is closed westbound, so that determines which direction we need to be going for that portion.)

I suppose my considering roadgeekery in the context of travel to a burial can just be added to the ledger of things likely to send me to hell someday....
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Thing 342

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 21, 2020, 06:19:06 PM
We have a schedule in October for my sister-in-law's burial. We will be driving out to Ohio. Has anyone ever taken US-35 from Charleston to Dayton? If so, how is that road?
US-35 is 4-lane expressway grade or better between I-64 and I-75 with the following exceptions:
- The aforementioned 2-lane section in WV, which runs about 15 miles and can become congested at times due to heavy truck traffic.
- A 2-3 mile gap west of Xenia between the end of the Xenia Bypass and the Dayton-area freeway, where US-35 runs as an arterial and contains 3 (?) stoplights.

For the rest of the highway, there's not too much traffic east of I-71, from what I remember.

oscar

I suppose my considering roadgeekery in the context of travel to a burial can just be added to the ledger of things likely to send me to hell someday....

I've done worse WRT funerals/memorial services. But since I'm not religious, my working roadgeekery into my trips to such services will probably be the least of any possible afterlife problems.

As for my own plans, I'd normally take some very long summer driving trips, to take advantage of the long daylight hours and my retirement. But the coronavirus is blowing holes in my plans, especially the ones with social opportunities. The July meeting of the Extra Miler Club (county counters) in Tulsa, which I'd been planning to attend, has been cancelled. Ditto a summer camp-like adventure like I did last year. The hot springs I normally work into a long road trip out west are mostly closed (including the ones on public lands), with my favorite resort in Colorado retreating from short office hours to "office closed indefinitely, about reopening don't call us, we'll call you". Beaches have similar issues with how to manage proper social distancing (preferably in a way that doesn't add tan lines to my face), even if they're still largely open. Road meets, I'm unsure how well they work for me (considering my age) in the current environment, though I'll have to size up how the first few for this year have gone or will go. The Canadian border closure has been repeatedly extended, and I'm not holding my breath waiting for the border to reopen for leisure travel. All this is limiting (but not completely wiping out) my roadtripping opportunities for this summer.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Quote from: Thing 342 on June 21, 2020, 06:40:43 PM
We have a schedule in October for my sister-in-law's burial. We will be driving out to Ohio. Has anyone ever taken US-35 from Charleston to Dayton? If so, how is that road?
US-35 is 4-lane expressway grade or better between I-64 and I-75 with the following exceptions:
- The aforementioned 2-lane section in WV, which runs about 15 miles and can become congested at times due to heavy truck traffic.
- A 2-3 mile gap west of Xenia between the end of the Xenia Bypass and the Dayton-area freeway, where US-35 runs as an arterial and contains 3 (?) stoplights.

For the rest of the highway, there's not too much traffic east of I-71, from what I remember.

Thanks. A 15-mile segment on which it may be hard to pass isn't that terrible. I assume it's not a heavily mountainous up- and downhill area because if it were, there would likely be climbing lanes that would help resolve the issue? It looks like the road runs through the Kanawha River valley in that area, so it ought to be reasonably flat?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

I'm not aware that any religious doctrine includes such a prohibition.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2020, 12:16:33 PM

Viatology?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on June 22, 2020, 12:48:39 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2020, 12:16:33 PM

Viatology?

I'm pretty sure that religion requires roadgeeking en route to a burial, not prohibiting it.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

We have a schedule in October for my sister-in-law's burial. We will be driving out to Ohio. Has anyone ever taken US-35 from Charleston to Dayton? If so, how is that road? I'm thinking of taking Corridor H west to I-79, but since we've taken Corridor D between Clarksburg and Parkersburg on more than one occasion, I'm considering taking I-79 the other way down to Charleston and connecting to US-35. Looks like there's a fairly short section of two-lane road prior to crossing the Ohio River and then it appears to be a divided highway pretty much all the way to Dayton?

(Coming back I think we'll take the old I-70 route straight through Columbus and through the Wheeling Tunnel and on to New Stanton, then connect to the new US-219 south of Somerset. I figure this may be my final trip to Dayton, so I ought to knock off those segments while I can, and the Wheeling Tunnel is closed westbound, so that determines which direction we need to be going for that portion.)

I think others have mentioned that there's a short segment of US 35 that remains two lanes, but it's on flat land. You might get behind a slow truck or a farm implement, and there will probably be a stream of oncoming traffic that might make passing a slower vehicle a bit problematic. There is construction ongoing to finish off the four-lane; I understand that you can see it from any of the local roads that turn left off northbound US 35 and driving for less than a mile. To be a small town, Chillicothe has some decently impressive interchanges where 23, 35, and 50 all come together. And there is a short stretch through Xenia with signals, but it is four lanes from Point Pleasant all the way to Dayton.

QuoteI suppose my considering roadgeekery in the context of travel to a burial can just be added to the ledger of things likely to send me to hell someday....

Actually, I've done the same thing. I've taken the long way to funerals before just for a change of pace along the route.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

D-Dey65

I just came back from the Ocala-area photography crusade, and they not only include parts of the City of Ocala, but the Ocala National Forest. I'll be sorting those pics out for the rest of the month.

US 89

Quote from: doorknob60 on June 19, 2020, 05:13:03 PM

Lagoon in particular is probably one of the last places I'd want to go right now. As far as Utah goes, the people most likely to be going to Lagoon are the same people who refuse to wear a mask or take COVID seriously. I prefer to minimize my exposure to that population as much as possible.

kphoger

Quote from: ctkatz on June 15, 2020, 02:41:36 AM
as for watching myself on possible virus exposure, I'm only hitting gas stations, hotels restraunts, and travel plazas because I'm going to be rolling on some toll roads with my ezpass. plus I've got some masks too. I should be okay.

Gas stations – Most everywhere has the option to pay at the pump, thereby avoiding interaction with other people.

Hotels – I prefer exterior-facing doors to hallways anyway, but the lobby is generally a must-do (other than something like an old Motel 6, where one can pay through a window in a vestibule).  Not too bad, overall.

Restaurants – Drive-through for fast food avoids the lobby, some places offer curbside pickup, but others are sit-down only.  Depends on what you want to eat and what the ordinances are where you go.

Travel plazas – Don't tell J N Winkler if you plan to use a public restroom.
Male pronouns, please.

csw

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 22, 2020, 10:49:15 AM
Quote from: Thing 342 on June 21, 2020, 06:40:43 PM

Thanks. A 15-mile segment on which it may be hard to pass isn't that terrible. I assume it's not a heavily mountainous up- and downhill area because if it were, there would likely be climbing lanes that would help resolve the issue? It looks like the road runs through the Kanawha River valley in that area, so it ought to be reasonably flat?
Yes, as mentioned previously, it's very flat. The two-lane section is tolerable since every other mile is four lanes. I think taking US 35 is worth it due to all of the nice button copy signs in Dayton alone. A few around Jackson too.

ctkatz

Quote from: kphoger on June 25, 2020, 04:13:32 PM
Quote from: ctkatz on June 15, 2020, 02:41:36 AM
as for watching myself on possible virus exposure, I'm only hitting gas stations, hotels restraunts, and travel plazas because I'm going to be rolling on some toll roads with my ezpass. plus I've got some masks too. I should be okay.

Gas stations – Most everywhere has the option to pay at the pump, thereby avoiding interaction with other people.

Hotels – I prefer exterior-facing doors to hallways anyway, but the lobby is generally a must-do (other than something like an old Motel 6, where one can pay through a window in a vestibule).  Not too bad, overall.

Restaurants – Drive-through for fast food avoids the lobby, some places offer curbside pickup, but others are sit-down only.  Depends on what you want to eat and what the ordinances are where you go.

Travel plazas – Don't tell J N Winkler if you plan to use a public restroom.

i just got back from that trip. I got freaked the hell out when I got to rhode island and saw a bunch of ezpass gantries over the highway. I budgeted for ny, nj, pa, and oh but not rhode island. fortunately they only toll semis.

I only went into one gas station (sheetz) just to see what it was like since we don't have any here. I felt it was another 7 eleven deal (ironic since we also don't have 7/11 in my area). all of my hotels were bw brands. no outside facing doors but none of them were all that busy. same thing with food, two sit down restaurants that I got to just before closing. them and roy rogers. and I have to say that I feel cheated. roy closed their fixins bar so all of my sandwiches were plain. and as for the travel plazas, of all the ones I visited the thruway plazas are the best ones I've visited by far.

all in all, I can still smell stuff. it was a good trip. a purely driving vacation is something that I would consider doing again.

webny99

Quote from: ctkatz on July 01, 2020, 12:38:10 AM
and as for the travel plazas, of all the ones I visited the thruway plazas are the best ones I've visited by far.

Don't hear that too much, but I agree! I think the Thruway rest areas are underrated.

D-Dey65

Due to a sudden increase in shootings in NYC, as a result of the "Defund the Police" movement, my mother is urging me not to return to the New York Tri-State Area.

I still want to go, and even if I don't go, I'll probably fix my Metro Card issue next month.

jdb1234

As for me, I had to cancel one trip down to Florida back in March.  I am hopeful that I can go down next month.  Due to family issues and my impending graduation from college, trips to Florida for me will likely be few and far between.

ce929wax

Going to Birmingham, AL for my friends 40th Birthday party on August 1st.  Leaving on July 30th and going to stay 2 nights in Murfreesboro, TN at my aunt and uncles house and then I will head to Birmingham from there.  On the way home I'm going to stop in Knoxville and Cincinnati because I am moving to Cincy in December.

D-Dey65

Thanks to the pandemic, and New York's quarantining of anybody from hot spot states like Florida for 14 days, It's a safe bet I'm not going to the New York Tri-State area anytime this year.

The most I'm going to be able to do is day trips to certain parts of the State of Florida I want to get pictures of. 

bandit957

I actually just got home from a trip to Ocean City, Md., and Shenandoah National Park. So the pandemic didn't completely kill off long trips.

This is me on Monday on the boardwalk in Ocean City...

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

ozarkman417

I will soon be leaving for Arkansas (again).. this time, I will be in the southwest. I will be visiting Queen Wilhelmina State Park, but driving the completed portion of the Bella Vista bypass (a 20 minute detour), and part of the Talimena Scenic Drive on the way.

bugo

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 17, 2020, 09:27:09 PM
I will soon be leaving for Arkansas (again).. this time, I will be in the southwest. I will be visiting Queen Wilhelmina State Park, but driving the completed portion of the Bella Vista bypass (a 20 minute detour), and part of the Talimena Scenic Drive on the way.
I was born in and grew up in Mena. If you are interested, I can point you towards some of the interesting things in the area.

Western Electric Model 500

Fulcrum29SMT

I've got no plans for a road trip in 2020, 2020's going to be the year of making plans, and making sure they can be implemented in the future! I've been accepting some extra tasks (recently, I've written and translated quite a hefty amount of text about how this Montenegro citizenship program https://tranio.com/montenegro/passport/ is going to affect the country's real estate market) over the last few weeks, so that in 2021, as soon as the borders are going to reopen again, I'll be able to buy plane tickets, book motels, rent a car, etc... without having to save money for months or make a loan!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.