News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2020, 10:11:47 PM
I think we are to the point where it might be a good idea to take a chill and remind ourselves that things will be OK, and talk about some of the road-related impacts.

I'll second the chilling out.  The virus appears to have run its course where it started, with no new reported Wuhan cases, infecting a mere 3% of the total population in a very tightly packed city (tighter than even NYC).  I'm also more than a little sick of the comparisons to Italy, a county whose health wasn't all that great before the virus, has a different demography than the US (much older, about 1/4 of the population is over 60), and has a culture conducive to spreading the virus readily, i.e. holding a conversation 2 inches from someone's face and the need to hug/kiss when greeting.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brandon on March 19, 2020, 06:42:54 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2020, 10:11:47 PM
I think we are to the point where it might be a good idea to take a chill and remind ourselves that things will be OK, and talk about some of the road-related impacts.

I'll second the chilling out.  The virus appears to have run its course where it started, with no new reported Wuhan cases, infecting a mere 3% of the total population in a very tightly packed city (tighter than even NYC).  I'm also more than a little sick of the comparisons to Italy, a county whose health wasn't all that great before the virus, has a different demography than the US (much older, about 1/4 of the population is over 60), and has a culture conducive to spreading the virus readily, i.e. holding a conversation 2 inches from someone's face and the need to hug/kiss when greeting.

I thought people also tried claiming that with Italy's wonderful free-healthcare system, they wouldn't get it so bad.

I'm also wondering what "No new cases" means.  Remember...this is the country that tried denying the disease in the first place.

Reading this paper, https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200319/coronavirus-wuhan-reports-no-new-cases-offering-hope-to-world , I found the two paragraphs to be interesting...

QuoteWuhan was where the outbreak first took hold and thousands once lay sick or dying in hurriedly constructed hospitals. But Chinese authorities said Thursday that all 34 new cases recorded over the previous day had been imported from abroad.

QuoteWuhan has been under a strict lockdown since January...The lockdown will be lifted there only if no additional cases have been reported for two consecutive weeks.

So - They went thru this for over 2 months.  The US is barely going on 2 weeks with shutdowns and closures.  We have a long ways to go, folks, and it's probably going to get worse before it gets better...

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 19, 2020, 12:58:15 AM
That HAN (which has no signature, BTW, thus opening the possibility that it was approved by a committee or working group rather than an individual) is dated February 1, 2020.  Were we aware at the time that asymptomatic/pre-symptomatic transmission was possible?  I myself was not, until I read a MedicineNet article dated February 20 that was based on research (involving German evacuees from Hubei province) published in the New England Journal of Medicine on February 18.
This HAN put 100% faith on first line screening - which should have been one of cheese slices, if you know what that means.
As for committee.. This is what I mean by liberal application of capital punishment.

This is a problem of testing strategy and, as such, is separate from the quality control problems (the third reagent leading to inconclusive results) that held up testing until the CDC agreed that tests using just the first two elements could be accepted as valid.  That, in turn, is separate from the regulatory issues that prevented foreign tests from being used.  There is apparently another layer of potential problems that arise from labs varying in their ability to enforce the process control that is required for reliable results, and that has had implications for certifying labs to test.
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 19, 2020, 12:58:15 AM
I certainly agree that we need a full postmortem (along the lines of the 9/11 Commission and the Challenger and Columbia inquiries) on what went wrong with testing at a time when the US had just dozens of confirmed cases and containment without mass disruption was still an option.  But fairness requires us to hold the CDC scientists accountable on the basis of the information they had in hand when they had to make the critical decisions.  One aspect of the testing mess I have not been able to find much information about is the reliability of the foreign tests as compared to the CDC's.  I have read that in an early phase in their crisis, the Chinese were making do with tests that yielded a 50% false negative rate, and current tests are generically described as having a 10% false negative rate because throat and nose swabs don't always capture what the virus is doing in the bottom of the lungs.
Who was held personally responsible for any of those situations and suffered more than a job change?

I wouldn't put it on Trump. If anything, his attempts to bring EPA to reason were considered as nothing short of a crime against humanity. If the existing government structure survives the crisis, there has to be a very far-reaching postmortem with conclusions extended far beyond affected agencies. See above for some details.

wanderer2575

hotdogPi

Early yesterday, all 17 recovered cases went away. Now, there is an area of the US outside any particular state with 1 total case and 106 recovered cases, which means that there are -105 active cases there (which is said explicitly, not just implied).

Before that, Suriname and Curaçao were in the Arabian Sea, and Fench (sic) Guiana had a different number of cases from French Guiana, both of which have now been fixed.

Interestingly, Canada has approximately 1/10 the number of cases as the US and approximately 1/10 the total population. It's been this way the entire time. Are they having problems with testing kits, too, or do they legitimately have fewer cases?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

ixnay

Quote from: DJStephens on March 18, 2020, 10:44:16 PM
  Bill Richardson's "rail runner" is apparently shut down until at least April 6th.

New Mexico's commuter rail service, for those who do not know.

https://www.riometro.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=200

ixnay

ixnay

Quote from: bandit957 on March 18, 2020, 11:51:50 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 18, 2020, 11:50:28 PM
Anyone that thinks the US is third world should humble themselves, to visit a third world society(which isn't hard, we border one) and gain some perspective.

I live in a third world country. It's called Campbell County.

What was so 3rd world about Campbell County before the crisis?

ixnay

ixnay

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 18, 2020, 11:56:09 PM
Anyone that thinks the US is third world should humble themselves, to visit a third world society(which isn't hard, we border one) and gain some perspective.

Campbell is my first name. I guess I should try harder.

So should this Facebook exec, no?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_Brown_(journalist)  Actually Campbell is her second (of two) middle names (IOW a four-namer).  I guess she's gone by Campbell all her life.

ixnay

ixnay

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 19, 2020, 12:57:12 AM

Is that where they make Campbell's Soup?

Campbell County, KY is named for a John Campbell.  Campbell Soup has no plants there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_County,_Kentucky

Campbell Soup Company is based in Camden County, New Jersey and was founded by Joseph A. Campbell.  Its nearest plant to Campbell County, KY is in outside Toledo, OH (don't know what products are made there).  Campbell's used to have a plant in Chestertown, MD where chicken was processed for Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup which I grew up on (afaik no broths were made there).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_Soup_Company

ixnay

bandit957

Quote from: ixnay on March 19, 2020, 10:34:34 AM
What was so 3rd world about Campbell County before the crisis?

Our sanitation, schools, and political corruption were absolutely terrible.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kurumi

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 18, 2020, 11:56:09 PM

Campbell is my first name. I guess I should try harder.

tbh I always assumed "Plutonic Panda" was an Ubuntu version :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: 1 on March 19, 2020, 09:03:45 AM
Early yesterday, all 17 recovered cases went away. Now, there is an area of the US outside any particular state with 1 total case and 106 recovered cases, which means that there are -105 active cases there (which is said explicitly, not just implied).

Before that, Suriname and Curaçao were in the Arabian Sea, and Fench (sic) Guiana had a different number of cases from French Guiana, both of which have now been fixed.
Huh?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Bruce

Quote from: mgk920 on March 19, 2020, 03:48:10 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 18, 2020, 10:02:03 PM
In order to have had stopped this virus from spreading, the borders to the United States would have had to been shut down back in January. No one would have ever allowed that and would have crucified anyone who suggested it.

IIRC, the Feds did that at that time WRT passenger airline flights from much or all of China and perhaps one or two other places in eastern Asia.  Yes, 'usual suspects' were reaming Donald Trump out for that for being an "anti-Asian *RACIST*!!!  :verymad:".

:no:

Mike

It fits the pattern. Trump is a racist person. He has demonstrated it over and over again.

Shutting the border in January would have been reasonable it if applied to all countries with cases. By that time, Italy and Iran were having their first signs of an outbreak, so they would have been included if the response was intended to contain the virus rather than spread more anti-Asian sentiment (which is quite pervasive in American society).

sprjus4

Quote from: Bruce on March 19, 2020, 01:37:50 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on March 19, 2020, 03:48:10 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 18, 2020, 10:02:03 PM
In order to have had stopped this virus from spreading, the borders to the United States would have had to been shut down back in January. No one would have ever allowed that and would have crucified anyone who suggested it.

IIRC, the Feds did that at that time WRT passenger airline flights from much or all of China and perhaps one or two other places in eastern Asia.  Yes, 'usual suspects' were reaming Donald Trump out for that for being an "anti-Asian *RACIST*!!!  :verymad:".

:no:

Mike

It fits the pattern. Trump is a racist person. He has demonstrated it over and over again.

Shutting the border in January would have been reasonable it if applied to all countries with cases. By that time, Italy and Iran were having their first signs of an outbreak, so they would have been included if the response was intended to contain the virus rather than spread more anti-Asian sentiment (which is quite pervasive in American society).
:spin: :spin: :spin:

Virus starts in China and was spreading quickly throughout, so in response he restricts access in an effort to reduce the spread of the virus. But since he didn't restrict access immediately to another area that just began it's growth, he's a racist  :-o :no: This definitely deserves impeachment, maybe even prison.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1 on March 19, 2020, 09:03:45 AMEarly yesterday, all 17 recovered cases went away. Now, there is an area of the US outside any particular state with 1 total case and 106 recovered cases, which means that there are -105 active cases there (which is said explicitly, not just implied).

You are talking about the JHU dashboard?  It's been flaky for a while--numbers given don't match numbers announced by state health departments, Kansas has one case with location marked as "US, US" (the dot appears within Kansas' borders presumably because it is in the middle of the lower 48), Alaska was shown without cases long after it had its first case, Italian numbers stayed out of date for almost 24 hours some days, etc.

Quote from: 1 on March 19, 2020, 09:03:45 AMInterestingly, Canada has approximately 1/10 the number of cases as the US and approximately 1/10 the total population. It's been this way the entire time. Are they having problems with testing kits, too, or do they legitimately have fewer cases?

My next question would be what testing criteria the Canadian authorities are applying and how these differ from the ones used by Italy (where testing was much more extensive but cases were growing without control before the lockdown) and South Korea (more testing even than Italy, but much better control).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

J N Winkler

Quote from: kalvado on March 19, 2020, 07:33:43 AMThis HAN put 100% faith on first line screening - which should have been one of cheese slices, if you know what that means.

You are talking about the Swiss-cheese theory of accident causation?  Yes.  The decision to proceed as if there was no asymptomatic/pre-symptomatic spread absolutely should be part of any postmortem.

Quote from: kalvado on March 19, 2020, 07:33:43 AMWho was held personally responsible for any of those situations and suffered more than a job change?

No one.  Even if you are an engineer and sign off on a structural detail that eventually results in a balcony collapse that kills over a hundred people, you can carry on with multiple PE licenses, only the one effective in the state where the collapse occurred being voided.

I agree that immunity creates opportunities for moral hazard.  This is a fundamental problem that spans many professions, both in and out of government, and is part of the reason sovereign immunity is now qualified and we now have tort claims legislation.   But I don't think we have found a good solution yet.  Litigation really isn't one because it is high-friction and full of unintended consequences.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 19, 2020, 01:59:34 PM
Quote from: kalvado on March 19, 2020, 07:33:43 AMThis HAN put 100% faith on first line screening - which should have been one of cheese slices, if you know what that means.

You are talking about the Swiss-cheese theory of accident causation?  Yes.  The decision to proceed as if there was no asymptomatic/pre-symptomatic spread absolutely should be part of any postmortem.
even without pre-simptomatic spread, assuming a person who unboarded healthy would run to ER with very early symptoms of common cold is a bit strange. Mild infection in many people was already documented.

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 19, 2020, 01:59:34 PM
Quote from: kalvado on March 19, 2020, 07:33:43 AMWho was held personally responsible for any of those situations and suffered more than a job change?

No one.  Even if you are an engineer and sign off on a structural detail that eventually results in a balcony collapse that kills over a hundred people, you can carry on with multiple PE licenses, only the one effective in the state where the collapse occurred being voided.

I agree that immunity creates opportunities for moral hazard.  This is a fundamental problem that spans many professions, both in and out of government, and is part of the reason sovereign immunity is now qualified and we now have tort claims legislation.   But I don't think we have found a good solution yet.  Litigation really isn't one because it is high-friction and full of unintended consequences.
Would be a good precedent to set.

hbelkins

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Note to SMF developers: You need to add a :poop: emoji.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on March 19, 2020, 03:25:04 PM

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Note to SMF developers: You need to add a :poop: emoji.
Because of your response?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

This thread is completely fucked if we keep getting into politics. Which is necessarily part of controlling a viral outbreak, but we ought to be a bit more careful!

bing101

bandit957

Quote from: bing101 on March 19, 2020, 10:30:17 PM
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-california-stay-home/

Update California has issued a statewide shelter in place order.

Good luck trying to keep 40 million people locked in their homes for weeks on end.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

wxfree

In Texas, the governor banned dining in, and has suspended the law against carryout and delivery of alcoholic beverages from bars and restaurants.  This is going around on Facebook:

Whole U.S.: We are Freaking out

Texas: We now deliver booze
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Max Rockatansky

Grabbed an 18 pack of beer and set up a couple additions to my home gym.  I'm still looking for the official order here in California but I know it doesn't prohibit outdoor activity.  To that end I'm still trying to see the extent of outdoor activity that can be had.  Some snow shoe hiking up in the Sierras might be a good way to get off grid for a day or two. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.