News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What is the highest quality road in the US?

Started by webny99, September 13, 2021, 10:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

My favorite in this regard is the part of I-95 formerly known as the New Hampshire Turnpike
(now Blue Star Turnpike), all 16+ miles of it.

Many of the tolled parts of I-95 are in very good condition, in states such as Maryland,
New Jersey, New York and Maine, in addition to the Granite State. 

I-95 in New Hampshire has very smooth pavement in spite of being in a tough location
in terms of winter climate, the toll is reasonable (compare and contrast with Delaware's
I-95 toll) and the right of way appears to be maintained like that of a championship golf
course, at least during the growing season.

The interchanges appear to be of a current design, even though the road pre-dates the
Interstate system, it is very unlike some other pre-Interstate and early Interstate roads.
The north end of the road was once at the big traffic circle in Portsmouth (parts of the
circle remain) but now it's a straight shot across the Piscataqua River into Maine.

And there are the two on-turnpike state liquor stores for amusement.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Dirt Roads

A friend of mine recently took a detour to find an out-of-the-way bookstore in Winston-Salem and commented about how nice US-421 is from Boone to there.  It's not a perfect road (consider the monstrous sinkhole at the east end of the Wilkesboro shopping district), but it is mostly well-designed and well-maintained.  It appears as though NCDOT is upgrading the route coming out of Winston-Salem to the west, perhaps to Interstate standards.  And heading into Winston-Salem itself, the western portion of the newly-completed Winston Parkway is as nice of an urban freeway as I've ever encountered.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.