News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-57 Approved

Started by US71, October 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtd67

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 25, 2018, 02:05:13 PM
Having lived in Jonesboro for 10 years. That town is really Backwards! Its the county seat of a dry county. The only thing to do there is get bit by mosquitoes. I have to take back my statements about future economical and commerce in that area...

I lived there 20 years and moved away about 30 years ago, but still visit every year.  I can tell you it is no more backward than any other area I have lived since.  I lived in the DFW area for over 10 years and I can tell you that Arkansas does not know growth like the DFW area and it is still growing even though I haven't lived there in nearly 20 years.

You forgot to add that Jonesboro is a very "wet" dry county.  Nearly all the restaurants serve alchohol by the drink.  You just can't go to a convenience/grocery store to get alcohol and the county line is only a 15-20 minute drive.  I believe Jonesboro has been dry since either WWI or WWII, voted dry when the men were away to war.   

It does have a very strong food processing industry.  You have Riceland, Post Foods, Frito Lay, Nestle, & Butterball.  Jonesboro's City Water & Light invested in a major water processing facility many years ago to lure these industries to Jonesboro.  I haven't seen much growth in that area in the past few years though.

ASU is another asset, it may not be UofA in Fayeteville, but it holds it own and grows every year.  The old saying when I lived in Jonesboro was you go to Fayeteville to party, but you go to Jonesboro to get an education.

Two major hospital facilities is another asset in this size of city as well, better than some areas I have lived.

Jonesboro has had to struggle nearly 50 years to get its interstates.  Look how long it has taken to get US63 upgraded to I-555.  That is a project that started in the early 70's and US67 getting upgraded has gone longer.  If it hadn't been for US Representative, Bill Alexander in the 70's and 80's and demonstration projects, "63 bypass" would probably still be 2 lanes.

Avalanchez71

I think wet/dry options are by Township in Arkansas. Their is no Township government in Arkansas.  They counties are just divided into Townships.  The only use for townships in Arkansas is for electing constables and wet/dry options.  The Justices of the Peace were once elected at the township level but they removed the judicial powers of JPs and now they are elected by district.  The JPs are now just county commissioners.

Scott5114

I don't drink, but I would never live in a dry town because if the local officials are content to write their personal morality into law on that topic, who's to say they won't do so on other things I might actually want to do?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bobby5280

Oklahoma has its own share of "dry counties." In my part of the state both Cotton and Jefferson counties (south of Lawton & Duncan) are dry. Right now these counties will allow liquor stores to operate but restaurants cannot sell any beer above 3.2% ABV. Once the alcohol modernization law goes into effect this coming November the places selling that low point beer won't be able to serve beer at all unless the county votes to go "wet."

Avalanchez71

Jack Daniels is distilled in Metropolitan Lynchburg-Moore County which happens to be a dry county.  The metropolitan in the name is an oxymoron I know but they did form a consolidated government and that is the name that was adopted.

capt.ron

Last Friday in Searcy @ Harding Uni, they [ARDOT] and a few dignitaries had the official unveiling of the "Future I-57" signs. It's NOW official! :)
I'll be looking for any new signs along the 67-167 corridor...

Chris

Interstate 69 Fan

Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

sparker

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on February 27, 2018, 09:19:08 AM
Quote from: Chris on February 27, 2018, 08:03:31 AM

Future I-57 sign unveiled by Arkansas Highways, on Flickr

:-o :D

Man!  Is that one awkward-looking posed photo or what?  Looks like the prevailing sentiment is ".....can we go home now?"

bjrush

I'm just surprised to see John Bozeman in the state of Arkansas
Woo Pig Sooie

triplemultiplex

Where can I get an I-57 sticker like that? :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

sparker

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 27, 2018, 03:09:30 PM

Probably in the Harding University trash receptacles between the auditorium and the parking lot! :-P

qguy

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 26, 2018, 02:36:19 PM
I don't drink, but I would never live in a dry town because if the local officials are content to write their personal morality into law on that topic, who's to say they won't do so on other things I might actually want to do?

You mean like murder?

My point is that isn't every law ideally the collective consensus of the personal moralities of those represented?

US71

Quote from: capt.ron on February 27, 2018, 12:38:32 AM
Last Friday in Searcy @ Harding Uni, they [ARDOT] and a few dignitaries had the official unveiling of the "Future I-57" signs. It's NOW official! :)

I have found ONE. SB US 67 just south of the 367/67B Exit (Exit 42). I drove from Walnut Ridge to Beebe and it's the only one I saw. I'll post a photo as soon as I can get it off my camera.

UPDATE:

(at least it isn't Clearview ;) )
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 27, 2018, 03:09:30 PM

I'd write ARDOT and see if they have any leftovers. If they DO, I'd like one, too ;)

capt.ron

Quote from: US71 on February 27, 2018, 08:55:22 PM

I have found ONE. SB US 67 just south of the 367/67B Exit (Exit 42). I drove from Walnut Ridge to Beebe and it's the only one I saw. I'll post a photo as soon as I can get it off my camera.

UPDATE:

Another one is posted northbound 67 just north of McCain Blvd (around mm 2)

US71

Quote from: capt.ron on February 28, 2018, 12:31:04 AM

Another one is posted northbound 67 just north of McCain Blvd (around mm 2)

I thought of looking, but it was starting to rain. Since I found one sign, it was "good enough" for now.  ;)

TBKS1

Quote from: US71 on February 27, 2018, 08:55:22 PM

UPDATE:

I'll probably be able to get a picture of that pretty soon. I'm pretty excited about the new interstate though!
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

The Ghostbuster

I doubt we'll see similar signs along US 67 and US 60 in Missouri. Is my prediction accurate?

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 28, 2018, 05:32:02 PM
I doubt we'll see similar signs along US 67 and US 60 in Missouri. Is my prediction accurate?

I'd say it is. This was IMO, more for political points.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

The border width on this staged sign is cringe worthy. :banghead:
Count the 'Future' in the red field in that category as well! :banghead:

and what the hell is with the rounding of the green field?

"Oh shit we fucked up on another sign!" "What's new?" "Eh, leave it! It won't be in the field anyways!" -- Exact dialog that occured at the exact moment when ArDOT knew they fuc'd up! :rofl: :banghead:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Bobby5280

Let's not forget about the kerning of the "Future I-57" letters. Way too tight for actual green highway sign standards.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 01, 2018, 01:30:23 PM
Let's not forget about the kerning of the "Future I-57" letters. Way too tight for actual green highway sign standards.
Scott (far right) is like, "Oh shit!"

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on March 01, 2018, 12:00:40 PM

"Oh shit we fucked up on another sign!" "What's new?" "Eh, leave it! It won't be in the field anyways!" -- Exact dialog that occured at the exact moment when ArDOT knew they fuc'd up! :rofl: :banghead:

I'm not sure the average person at ARDOT would have a clue. Too many strike me as government appointees with little knowledge of roads beyond "Point A to Point B".

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on March 01, 2018, 02:19:26 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on March 01, 2018, 12:00:40 PM

I'm not sure the average person at ARDOT would have a clue. Too many strike me as government appointees with little knowledge of roads beyond "Point A to Point B".
Scott has the expirence. He knew they fucked up big time on the sign design.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.