News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Exit 0 (Zero) on Interstates or Interstate Standard Highways

Started by rbt48, May 29, 2015, 11:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbt48

Share Exit 0 locations in the US.

I'll start with I-70 on the west end of Wheeling, WV.

KG909

~Fuccboi

SignGeek101

There is already a thread on this.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7128.msg159532#msg159532

I know Exit Zero's aren't common, but there is this one on the internet.

NOT my pic.

rbt48

roadman65

If I started this thread I would never hear the end of it.  Alps would start warning me, and snark from the trolls would all result.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

Quote from: roadman65 on May 30, 2015, 02:51:14 PM
If I started this thread I would never hear the end of it.  Alps would start warning me, and snark from the trolls would all result.
he's a newbie. you've been around long enough to know better.

roadman65

yes and no. even when I was new I got snark from some of those already.  mostly because of a young 13 year old from virginia who used to suggest that VA 28 become I-366 at 85 mph and ask a lot of dumb questions which already angered many users, so they were reacting to anything just as we yell at a telemarketer for the previous marketing call bothering us even though they are two separate callers.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

I-65 southbound in Indiana, just before crossing into Kentucky.

The western end of the Cumberland Parkway at I-65.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

02 Park Ave

What should be "Exit 0" on the I-195 in New Jersey is designated "Exit 60" instead.  They actually using the exit number from the I-295 for this interchange.

I don't know why it was done but it is certainly illogical.
C-o-H

Pink Jazz

There is an Exit 0 on PR-22 in San Juan near its eastern terminus just before the Millinas Tunnel (exits are kilometer based and are backwards, increasing east to west).

bzakharin

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on May 31, 2015, 10:00:02 PM
What should be "Exit 0" on the I-195 in New Jersey is designated "Exit 60" instead.  They actually using the exit number from the I-295 for this interchange.

I don't think it was done to avoid an exit zero because the same setup exists on NJ-29 (which I-195 continues as) in the other direction. NJ-29 doesn't otherwise use exit numbers. The other such situation, where I-287 becomes NJ-440 at the NJ Turnpike (and both roads have a mile zero at that point) is handled differently. It has no exit number, which is probably ok because 440 doesn't number its exits (though 287 does).

The only exit zero in NJ is on the Garden State Parkway.

rbt48

In Nebraska (where we really don't understand Interstate exit number concepts properly), the philosophy appears to be that the exit number applies to all ramps of the interchange.  Like where the short span of I-76 meets I-80, the exit number to join I-80 should be 1 or 2.  Instead, the signs give it the number 102 which is the I-80 exit number (102 miles from the Wyoming border).  A similar example is in Omaha where southbound I-480 intersects with I-80.  Here, what should be exit 0 on 480 is numbered 452, the I-80 exit number.

PHLBOS

While Massachusetts doesn't presently have such; their current interchange renumbering plans call for the use of Exit 0 on some of their highways where applicable; but their present plans are inconsistent.  Exit 0 is planned for I-93's southern connection/terminus with I-95 in Canton (current Exit 1) but there's no Exit 0 planned for the Lowell Connector.  IMHO, if there ever was a poster child for using Exit 0; the Lowell Connector would be it.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

oscar

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on May 31, 2015, 10:00:02 PM

Puerto Rico used exit 00 within the PR-18/PR-22 freeway interchange in San Juan, to distinguish from nearby exit 0.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SD Mapman

Quote from: rbt48 on February 23, 2016, 09:55:19 AM
In Nebraska (where we really don't understand Interstate exit number concepts properly), the philosophy appears to be that the exit number applies to all ramps of the interchange.  Like where the short span of I-76 meets I-80, the exit number to join I-80 should be 1 or 2.  Instead, the signs give it the number 102 which is the I-80 exit number (102 miles from the Wyoming border).  A similar example is in Omaha where southbound I-480 intersects with I-80.  Here, what should be exit 0 on 480 is numbered 452, the I-80 exit number.
There is one on I-480 in Iowa, though.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

wolfiefrick

There is an exit 0 on I-90 at the Montana-Idaho state line.

Rothman

I believe the one at the western end of I-68 no longer is marked Exit 0.  I miss it from the many times I headed that way going to my grandparents' house when I was a kid.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Jardine

Quote from: SD Mapman on February 23, 2016, 10:20:12 AM
Quote from: rbt48 on February 23, 2016, 09:55:19 AM
There is one on I-480 in Iowa, though.

I haven't seen any plans yet for the rebuild of I-29/I480 interchange there yet, I'm assuming the Exit 0 entrance and exit ramp will remain after the upgrade, but I don't know for sure.

Super Mateo

There's one at the southern terminus of I-294 in IL, at the intersection with I-94 and IL 394.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5776071,-87.590602,3a,15y,94.13h,90.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1p7Oa7dIVPSkA7GpC9MkBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Eth

There are a few such places in Georgia that theoretically could be Exit 0, but none of them are:

- At the west end of I-520, the I-20 interchange is Exit 1A-B.
- At the south end of I-185, the US 27/280 interchange is Exit 1A-B.
- At the southwest corner of I-285, the I-85 interchange is Exit 62, numbered as being at the end of the route and not the beginning.
- GA 400 uses sequential exit numbering. Still, when the southbound 400 to northbound I-85 ramp opened recently, it was given the number 1A; the existing Exit 1 for Sidney Marcus Blvd was renumbered as 1B.
- At the southwest corner of the Athens Perimeter, which does use mileage-based numbering, the US 29/78 interchange is Exit 1.

Safe to say Georgia has no interest in Exit 0 as a concept.

Thunderbyrd316

thenetwork

Used to be an Exit 0 (km!  :colorful:)  on I-19 in Nogales, AZ as of the early 80s. Now known as Exit 1-A.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on May 31, 2015, 12:46:07 AM
I-65 southbound in Indiana, just before crossing into Kentucky.

The western end of the Cumberland Parkway at I-65.

Since you posted this, Exit 0 southbound is gone forever.  Still exists northbound though.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

wolfiefrick

At the southern terminus of I-170 in Brentwood, MO, the interchange with I-64 is signed as exits 1 A-B (1 A for I-64 EB and 1 B to I-64 WB). The Eager Rd exit, which is less than 1/8 mile before the I-64 interchange, is signed as exit 1 C. Later north on I-170, Brentwood Blvd SB is signed as exit 1 D, Forest Park Pkwy is signed as exit 1 E, and Ladue Rd is signed as exit 1 F. Delmar Blvd switches the number to 2 as I-170 enters its second mile. MODOT could sign the I-64 interchange as exit 0 A and 0 B, and sign Eager Rd as 0 C, while Brentwood Blvd SB, Forest Park Pkwy, and Ladue Rd as exits 1 A, 1 B, and 1 C, respectively.

briantroutman

Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I could have sworn that my first encounter with an Exit 0 back in the late '90s was on I-581 near Roanoke, VA. What made it even more of an oddity was that the gore sign had EXIT 0 in the center with diagonal arrows on both sides, looking kind of like a confused person shrugging his shoulders.

GSV from the August 2013 on the northbound I-81 side of the split shows a sign similar to what I described, but as Exit 1 and not Exit 0 (and oddly enough, earlier signs in the sequence reference Exit 1 N-S instead of A-B, which was a practice I didn't think VDOT engaged in).

A more recent 2015 GSV photograph taken in the southbound I-81 side of the split shows the gore sign having been replaced with an unnumbered sign with an I-81 shield in the center and opposing arrows for NORTH and SOUTH.

Maybe I'm mistaken, and it never was Exit 0, but can't imagine that I dreamt it. Does anyone here know for sure?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.