Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Las Vegas HOV rules to change

(1/8) > >>

roadfro:
We already knew Project Neon would spell the end of I-15's current express lanes between Silverado Ranch & Sahara—it is to be converted to HOV (in areas where there are two express lanes, the second express lane will become an additional general purpose lane).

With the new HOV connector between I-15 & US 95 at the Spaghetti Bowl being built as part of Project Neon, this will result in 22 miles of continuous HOV lane facilities from I-15 & Silverado Ranch to US 95 & Elkhorn Road (where an HOV-only exit is under construction as part of the US 95 Northwest project).

What I didn't know was that the HOV rules for the whole valley would be changing...

Rules for Las Vegas HOV lanes to change when Project Neon complete, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 4/12/19

--- Quote ---Regulating HOV lanes will also change. Currently the HOV lanes are utilized as such only during high traffic times, from 6 a.m. until 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. until 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Once the new lanes go live in mid-May the HOV lanes will be enforced 24 hours a day, seven days per week, according to Dale Keller, NDOT assistant chief of project management, who presented the HOV plan Thursday to the Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada board of commissioners.

Additionally, crossing the solid double white line of an HOV lane is also illegal; motorists are allowed to enter and exit the lane only where dotted lines are present.

--- End quote ---

Interestingly, the US 95 HOV lane was 24/7 when originally implemented, but after maybe a year was changed to the current peak-hour enforcement.

But it seems NDOT is taking a page from Caltrans' SoCal playbook in creating designated entry/exit points for HOV lanes with double solid lines. This is a departure from the current "you can cross the solid line at any time" style (which I never thought was a good practice—should've used broken lines).

ClassicHasClass:
Is there evidence that the HOV lanes are overused even outside of peak hours, though? My beef with Caltrans is that freeways that run relatively empty off peak really shouldn't have 24-hour HOV lanes, or otherwise you're taking away capacity that's just not being used at other times. I think the only justification for 24-hour lanes is when the HOV lanes don't achieve minimum speeds at any time.

Plutonic Panda:
I think they need to take a look at how it goes and see if there is really such a demand for off peak usage. In cities like SF and LA I can understand 24 hour HOV lane enforcement, but Las Vegas doesn’t seem like it should be enforced at night.

roadfro:

--- Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 13, 2019, 01:52:08 PM ---Is there evidence that the HOV lanes are overused even outside of peak hours, though? My beef with Caltrans is that freeways that run relatively empty off peak really shouldn't have 24-hour HOV lanes, or otherwise you're taking away capacity that's just not being used at other times. I think the only justification for 24-hour lanes is when the HOV lanes don't achieve minimum speeds at any time.

--- End quote ---

I would say no. I can potentially see more demand for the HOV lanes on I-15 than those existing on US 95, but not to the point that 24/7 enforcement would make any appreciable impact outside of peak hours.

I'm guessing they're going to go with the most restrictive enforcement as the entire HOV network is unveiled (including Vegas' first HOV-only interchanges), and reevaluate after a year or so of use. This is basically what happened when NDOT introduced HOV lanes to US 95 several years ago—they loosened the 24/7 after about a year or so, in part because there was no demand for it outside of the am/pm peak hours.

Junkie:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 13, 2019, 04:36:14 PM ---I think they need to take a look at how it goes and see if there is really such a demand for off peak usage. In cities like SF and LA I can understand 24 hour HOV lane enforcement, but Las Vegas doesn’t seem like it should be enforced at night.

--- End quote ---
SF doesn't have 24 hour HOV lanes.

The Bay Bridge has some Bus Only lanes that can be used by carpools during carpool hours, but carpool lanes on freeways (and I believe all other bridge toll plazas) are all peak only AFAIK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version