News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What’s the most insane roadway concurrency in the country?

Started by oneoftheordinary, June 17, 2022, 02:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneoftheordinary

I know North Carolina has some insane ones, like 5 route numbers all following the same roadway, but which one has the most?

TheHighwayMan3561

Probably I-465 around Indianapolis, since Indiana removed everything non-Interstate inside of it and put everything continuing beyond Indy to go around on 465.

There are three stretches of 7 routes on I-465 (I-69 will eventually replace IN 37).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

About the best you'll get in California is the largely silently concurrent CA 99-59-140 briefly in Merced.

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 17, 2022, 03:52:06 AM
About the best you'll get in California is the largely silently concurrent CA 99-59-140 briefly in Merced.

Up until Business 80 in Sacramento was truncated to the Oak Park Interchange, the WX Freeway carried Business 80, Route 99, and US 50 (and is that hidden I-305 designation as well).
Chris Sampang

hotdogPi

While it's well established that I-465 has the most, the rotary in Augusta, ME has US 201, US 202, ME 8, ME 11, ME 17, ME 27, and ME 100. 11 and 201 bounce off each other, but since it's a rotary, you're going to need to make a 3/4 turn if it's a left turn, so arguably all seven can count. ME 8 begins here instead of continuing on both sides, but it should still count.

As for a different kind of insane, RI 114 with itself.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

thspfc

While the most is definitely I-465; I-39/90/94, I-25/US-87, and I-41/US-41 also deserve mentions.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MATraveler128

The George Washington Bridge on the New Jersey side carries I-95, US 1, US 9, and US 46. There's also I-84, US 6, US 7, and US 202 in Danbury, Connecticut.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Jim

Quote from: Rothman on June 17, 2022, 07:16:46 AM
There's that mess in Folkston, GA, too...

For those who haven't been to Folkston, here's an example:

Taken back in 2004, but I think it all remains.  Maybe it should get bonus points for having a Georgia 23 and US 23 sharing the road.  I guess it's just that all roads in the area lead to the Quick Chic (as they should).

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

US 89

Quote from: 1 on June 17, 2022, 05:56:34 AM
While it's well established that I-465 has the most

Not quite. I-465 maxes out between exits 46 and 47 with eight (I-465, US 31, US 36, US 40, US 52, US 421, SR 37, and SR 67). The Athens Perimeter in Georgia between exits 4 and 8 also has that many (SR 10 Loop, US 29, US 78, US 129, US 441, SR 8, SR 15, and SR 422).

Once I-69 is complete in Indiana, presumably 465 will take the undisputed top spot. Weirdly, although I-74 and US 421 are concurrent with each other on either side of Indianapolis, they apparently go opposite directions on 465.

Georgia is insane partly because like most southern states, their US highways all are concurrent with a state route, and unlike other southern states, that state route is usually signed. That one in Folkston probably wins for most signed concurrent routes.

kphoger

As for a different kind of insane, RI 114 with itself.

Just as a reminder, the case of RI-114 is possibly disputed.  As far as I know, nobody here has actually compared the pertinent documents.

The short story is that Pawtucket's route log and RIDOT's route log reportedly have different routings for RI-114.

See below.

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 08, 2019, 04:35:57 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2019, 03:15:16 PM

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 01, 2019, 09:31:06 AM

Quote from: 1 on May 02, 2018, 05:41:21 AMRI 114 with itself

:confused: Whereabouts is this one?

↓  See below  ↓

Quote from: kphoger on January 12, 2018, 02:38:16 PM
Google Maps doesn't show it and signage is severely lacking, which is probably why.  RI-114 has a crazily circuitous route through town, such that both directions of travel officially use the same short one-way segment of Broadway.

If that short stretch is actually part of RI 114 for either direction; I'd be very surprised. 

Looking at Google Maps (granted, such could be incorrect); one would think that RI 114 northbound after crossing under I-95 would follow School St. to Broadway (left) to Main St. where it crosses the Blackstone River and turn right onto High St.

RI 114 southbound runs along the one-way portion of Main St. north of High St. (114 northbound) and continues along the two-way portion across the Blackstone River and turns right at the next intersection (School St.(?)) and crosses under I-95.

Note: RI 114 has a short concurrency w/RI 15 between School St. and Goff Ave.

Unless it was once an old routing and based on the above-description; how in the world would RI 114 be on Broadway northeast of School St.?

Additionally, I have to believe that this trailblazer assembly w/RI 15 and NORTH 114 signage along Underwood St. is erroneous.  One can't even make a right turn onto Exchange St.; where the erroneous trailblazer sign indicates that such is RI 15 eastbound.

Quote from: kphoger on October 01, 2019, 02:32:35 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2019, 01:31:50 PM

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 08, 2019, 06:22:02 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 08, 2019, 05:06:37 PM
I mapped that stretch based on the official routing of RI-114.

Forgive me for being skeptical; but is there an actual document source or official map that shows that oddball routing?  No offense to anyone here, I'm not talking about blogs or hobby-enthusiast's sites (like this one) which was what I got via a Google search; but an actual, official site.  I even tried RIDOT but I couldn't even find a decent map on their website that actually shows how RI 114 (& even RI 15) is routed through Pawtucket.

Note: the Wiki account only shows someone's Google Map trip routings circa 2011-2012.

What's currently shown on Google Maps, correct or not, appears to be the most logical & direct routing of RI 114 through Pawtucket.

Doggone it, I can't for the life of me find the document I used to trace the route back when I made that original post.

I keep coming back to this...

While I cannot seem to confirm the following assertion, I think it's worth mentioning here.

Quote from: Wikipedia:WikiProject U.S. Roads/Rhode Island/Comparison of sources for numbered routes in Rhode Island
Rhode Island is in a fairly unique situation in the United States in that the different sections of the Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) sometimes disagree about what roads are numbered State Highways. The differing sources include signage on the roads themselves (which is often sporadic or nonexistent), GIS data supplied to RIGIS from RIDOT, maps on RIDOT's website, and RIDOT's pavement management division.

RIDOT's Pavement Management division produces a log for internal use in helping workers travel the numbered highways to assess pavement quality. The following observations are from a 2001 copy of the log. The "RINO" field of the "1:5,000 Roads" GIS data layer is largely equivalent to these descriptions, and as a whole these are the closest match to actual signage. When those two are compared, the pavement log agrees with signage in the majority or cases where the two sources disagree.

At least two cities, Pawtucket and Woonsocket, keep logs of their own.

Pawtucket

Pawtucket's data agrees with RIDOT's except in two cases. ... A similar configuration exists with Route 114, where Pawtucket gives it a straighter route.

So it appears the official RIDOT routing would be found in the Pavement Log, while the city of Pawtucket's own log disagrees.  Someone would need to obtain a copy of those two items in order to confirm or deny.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

How many of these are signed (such as the Folkston example)?  I don't think all the routes on I-465 are.  A mega sign salad is more interesting to me than the legal or practical definitions.

achilles765

Well here in Texas there's I 10/US 69/US 96/US 287 in Beaumont. And for about a mile it's Interstate 10/Us 90/Us 69/Us 96/us 287
San Antonio has stretches of interstate 10/Interstate 35/Us 87
And interstate 410/Us 281/Sh 130/ SH 16
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

kphoger

Quote from: achilles765 on June 17, 2022, 10:32:20 AM

Some more Tex-4-plex examples:

Wichita Falls:  I-44 / US-277 / US-281 / US-287
Baylor County:  US-82 / US-183 / US-277 / US-283
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SkyPesos

Quote from: US 89 on June 17, 2022, 09:01:08 AM
While it's well established that I-465 has the most

Not quite. I-465 maxes out between exits 46 and 47 with eight (I-465, US 31, US 36, US 40, US 52, US 421, SR 37, and SR 67). The Athens Perimeter in Georgia between exits 4 and 8 also has that many (SR 10 Loop, US 29, US 78, US 129, US 441, SR 8, SR 15, and SR 422).

Once I-69 is complete in Indiana, presumably 465 will take the undisputed top spot. Weirdly, although I-74 and US 421 are concurrent with each other on either side of Indianapolis, they apparently go opposite directions on 465.
IN 37 is planned to get decommissioned between Bloomington and Fishers, so the I-465 concurrency will stay at 8 routes.

I-74 and US 421 go in different directions west of Indy; they don't meet up again.

Jim

One way to hunt and to see the extent of these many-way concurrencies is to go into TM's Mapview:

https://travelmapping.net/user/mapview.php

Choose "Color by Concurrencies" from the first dropdown menu at the top, then probably "Highlight All" from the second and scroll around all you like.

Tip: if you zoom out too much, it will take a long time to load (there's a lot of stuff being pulled from the DB and a lot of things being plotted on the map in that case).  Instead, uncheck "Always Update Visible Routes", pan and scroll to a more zoomed-in area, and then check it again to load the data for that part of the world.

Of course, TM will only count concurrencies of roads in TM data.  If there's also a county route or something like that concurrent, it wouldn't show up. But it does show the 9 for I-465 (note that TM includes Future I-69), and the examples of 7's mentioned above in Folkston and around Athens.

Edit: changed above to mention the 9 on the east side of I-465.

JayhawkCO

While it's well established that I-465 has the most, the rotary in Augusta, ME has US 201, US 202, ME 8, ME 11, ME 17, ME 27, and ME 100. 11 and 201 bounce off each other, but since it's a rotary, you're going to need to make a 3/4 turn if it's a left turn, so arguably all seven can count. ME 8 begins here instead of continuing on both sides, but it should still count.

I just was there in October, and I've driven the I-465 portion, so I've officially clinched this thread.

Jim

TM does not include a GA 422, as it is apparently unsigned, so it shows 7, not 8, on that Athens stretch.

TEG24601

Prior to around 2012, Delphi, IN was home to a concurrency of US 421 and SR 18, 39, and a wrongway concurrency with SR 25, for about 10 blocks.  SR 25 being Main Street.

I-80/90 and I-39/90/94 are a couple of more notable crazy concurrencies.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

hbelkins

Depending on your definition of "insane," I think the I-41/US 41 and I-74/US 74 concurrencies are not quite normal.

Also I-73 and I-74 since both are so far off the grid.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

Quote from: Jim on June 17, 2022, 03:59:11 PM
TM does not include a GA 422, as it is apparently unsigned, so it shows 7, not 8, on that Athens stretch.

Just because it's unsigned doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

It's a completely pointless route though. Most of the 4xx routes in Georgia exist to give interstates an internal state route designation which they would not otherwise have. 422 is entirely an unsigned internal designation for SR 10 Loop, which obviously already has a state route number. I think the advantage of a 4xx route is that their mileages don't have to reset at county lines, which is obviously a plus for a short beltway that spans two counties.

SkyPesos

Quote from: hbelkins on June 17, 2022, 07:56:05 PM
Depending on your definition of "insane," I think the I-41/US 41 and I-74/US 74 concurrencies are not quite normal.

Also I-73 and I-74 since both are so far off the grid.
If we're using another definition of "insane" , US 60/70 pre-interstates could qualify too.

ran4sh

Quote from: US 89 on June 18, 2022, 01:00:16 AM
Quote from: Jim on June 17, 2022, 03:59:11 PM

Just because it's unsigned doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

It's a completely pointless route though. Most of the 4xx routes in Georgia exist to give interstates an internal state route designation which they would not otherwise have. 422 is entirely an unsigned internal designation for SR 10 Loop, which obviously already has a state route number. I think the advantage of a 4xx route is that their mileages don't have to reset at county lines, which is obviously a plus for a short beltway that spans two counties.

SR 10 Loop never had resetting mileage even before the SR 422 designation. However its mileposting has changed several times, originally the 0 was at the at-grade intersection with Old Hull Road in the northeast corner, increasing counterclockwise from there until 10 Loop's interchange with itself (there were no exit numbers at this time), the mileposts were changed in 1999 when exit numbers were first added, and again in 2004 when they were revised to increase counterclockwise instead of clockwise.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

zachary_amaryllis

Warrenton, VA has (or had, I think it's been re-jiggered) a bunch running with US-17 at one time. It was like 15,17,29 and I think something else.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Mapmikey

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on June 18, 2022, 10:33:21 AM
Warrenton, VA has (or had, I think it's been re-jiggered) a bunch running with US-17 at one time. It was like 15,17,29 and I think something else.

Until the freeway bypass east of Warrenton was opened around 1987, there was a segment of the original western bypass with a 4-route concurrency:  US 15, US 17, US 29 and US 211.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.