News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bypasses that don't bypass the designated business route

Started by 1995hoo, July 19, 2022, 12:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I was giving someone two sets of directions to South Carolina in which I commented on the roadwork on I-95 in North Carolina as a reason to consider going a different way. In doing so, when I was looking at the map I took note of the somewhat odd situation involving US-70 near Smithfield and Selma. That first map link is zoomed out to give the overall picture of where US-70 Business goes–it diverges from the mainline US-70 between the interchange near the word "Oliver" on the map and the point at the far top left of the map near Powhatan. (Note I'm using a 21-inch monitor, so that may not all display on your screen.)

If you zoom it in closer, you see the roads passing near the outlet malls at I-95's Exit 97. That can be a very busy area; among many other businesses, the JR Cigar Outlet that's advertised up and down I-95 is located there. In order to alleviate traffic through the I-95 interchange and the traffic lights to either side, a US-70 "By-Pass" (hyphenated per the BGSs for it) was constructed to avoid those traffic lights and the I-95 interchange. If you look at the BGS at either end of the new "By-Pass," you'll see that the route that they bypassed is signed as just plain US-70.

But wait, there's more! The map shows that US-70 ALT splits off between the light near the JR Cigar Outlet and Princeton, running through Pine Level, effectively acting as another business route.

So in the same area, you have Smithfield's US-70 Business, Pine Level's US-70 ALT that acts like a business route, plain old US-70 that bypasses the business route and the ALT route, and then By-Pass US-70 that bypasses plain old US-70 near I-95 and the outlet malls (i.e., it bypasses the original bypass).

Long way of saying, this means there is a designated bypass route that is not a bypass of the designated business route. It made me think of how in Lynchburg, Virginia, when the existing US-29 bypass was itself bypassed, the old bypass became the new business route and the old business route was downgraded to a state route. I assume that option was either not considered in North Carolina or was unpalatable to Smithfield authorities. What I'm wondering is, how many other–if any–situations are there where there is a route formally designated as a bypass that is not a bypass of the formally designated business route? (To clarify, by using the word "designated" I'm trying to exclude situations like in Nags Head where residents call US-158 "the bypass" in comparison to NC-12, which they call "the Beach Road.")
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

For a time there were two US 70 Business routes and unbannered US 70 followed today's US 70 Bypass.

A real short time.

It is possible it was posted this way as paperwork and postings don't always match up neatly.  I want to say it was posted at least on I-95 BGSs but this is 25 years ago trying to remember...

But here is the 2nd US 70 Business being created July 1997 - see pg. 3 at https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/Route%20Changes/US64_19970725.pdf

Here is this US 70 Business going away and US 70 Bypass coming into the picture, October 1997 - see pg. 2 at https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1997_10_31B.pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.