News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

North of Wake Forest, US-1 is pretty empty.... for now. The most work they would have to do there is bypass Kittrell. NCDOT does have the southern section on long range plans. They really want to bypass that mess in Aberdeen.

froggie

Upgrading 1 to a freeway is a moot point.  Because of the lack of access control and the need to either replace or buy-out all of that private access (nevermind the hordes of smaller intersections), such a project would easily run over half-a-billion, and nobody has the political clout to get that level of funding.

bob7374

NCDOT has begun posting 36 month tentative project letting lists in addition to their 12-month lists. These are some of the more interesting ones listed starting in 2017, with their tentative letting dates:
US 74 Shelby Bypass from NC 226 to NC 150: 5/16/17
Winston-Salem N. Beltway from US 158 to US 311: 10/17/17
Morrisville Pkwy Ext. from NC 540: 12/19/17
US 74 Shelby Bypass from SR 1318 to NC 150: 1/16/18
I-840 Greensboro Loop US 29 (I-785) to Lawndale Dr: 7/17/18
US 70 Havelock Bypass (Future I-42): 9/18/18
Fayetteville Outer Loop from Camden Rd to Strickland: 9/18/18
Upgrade US 74 int. with Broadbridge Rd (Robeson County) to interchange: 10/16/18

The entire list is available at:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/12%20Month%20Tentative%20Letting%20Library/36Mth%20Let%20July2016-June2019.pdf

slorydn1

Quote from: slorydn1 on March 01, 2016, 06:58:25 AM
Lane closures on Neuse and Trent River Bridges from today through June 15th

QuoteClosures will be happening on the N.C. 55 / U.S. 70 bridge over the Trent River, and the N.C. 55 / U.S. 17 bridge over the Neuse River will have lane closures beginning at 9 a.m., Tuesday.[/font]One lane will be closed 24/7, and at least one lane will remain open from now until June 15th.
DOT crews will be replacing expansion joints and lay down a protective coating on both bridges during the next few months.

I can happily report that the bridge work is finished, the new coating seems to help when the bridges are wet, there is definitely more grip available. Oh and they repainted the stripes, the lane markers are now the white/black stripes we were discussing in another thread somewhere, and they even added arrows on the pavement like one would see at a surface street intersection for the Exit 417A lanes (right lane is right only and center lane as an option lane).

I'll try to get a picture or 2 of the pavement and markings the next time my wife is with me and we go that way.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Strider

Quote from: bob7374 on June 17, 2016, 12:30:39 PM
NCDOT has begun posting 36 month tentative project letting lists in addition to their 12-month lists. These are some of the more interesting ones listed starting in 2017, with their tentative letting dates:
US 74 Shelby Bypass from NC 226 to NC 150: 5/16/17
Winston-Salem N. Beltway from US 158 to US 311: 10/17/17
Morrisville Pkwy Ext. from NC 540: 12/19/17
US 74 Shelby Bypass from SR 1318 to NC 150: 1/16/18
I-795 Greensboro Loop US 29 to Lawndale Dr: 7/17/18
US 70 Havelock Bypass (Future I-42): 9/18/18
Fayetteville Outer Loop from Camden Rd to Strickland: 9/18/18
Upgrade US 74 int. with Broadbridge Rd (Robeson County) to interchange: 10/16/18

The entire list is available at:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/12%20Month%20Tentative%20Letting%20Library/36Mth%20Let%20July2016-June2019.pdf

Hello, I wanted to point out that the Greensboro Loop is called I-840 since it is between US 29 (I-785) and Lawndale. :) But they are going to finish the loop sooner than expected. That is a good news.

mvak36

Speaking of 785, are there any plans to complete the interstate conversion? I haven't seen much on that.

Is there still a lot of work to do on US29?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

bob7374

Quote from: mvak36 on June 17, 2016, 02:28:30 PM
Speaking of 785, are there any plans to complete the interstate conversion? I haven't seen much on that.

I've corrected my post, meant to include the I-785 with US 29, not the Loop.
As for possible upgrades to US 29, north of the Loop to designate it I-785, the only project listed is from the preliminary list of 2018-2027 STIP projects. The project is limited to only the US 29 Reidsville Bypass from NC 150 northward to the return of Bus. 29. It calls for upgrading the route to interstate standards at a cost of $89.5 million. The strategic mobility formula used to rank projects, however, gives it a rather low statewide benefit score of 47/100, so it may not make the final 2018-27 project list. There are no other projects listed to upgrade US 29 between the Loop and NC 150 where most of the work is needed. From the looks of it then, it appears completing I-785 will not happen until 2030, at the earliest.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe when they designated Interstate 785 as a future Interstate, the signs should have indicated it would be a distant future Interstate Highway.

LM117

A little more than half of US-29/Future I-785 in NC is already finished. From just south of Reidsville to the VA state line is already interstate standard. It used to be 65mph but NCDOT raised it to 70mph not too long ago. The speed limit drops back down to 65mph once you cross into VA. I wish VDOT would also raise their section to 70mph. VA's section of US-29/Future I-785 (Danville Expressway) around Danville will need minor work. There's a RIRO on both sides of US-29 at Elizabeth Street and the acceleration on-ramps at some of the interchanges are a bit short. There are no plans by VDOT to close the Elizabeth Street RIRO or lengthen some of the ramps. I think I-785 is supposed to end at the US-58/US-360 interchange on the east side of Danville, but I-785 should follow the rest of the US-29 freeway north until the freeway ends at the Business US-29 junction near Blairs, IMO.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

Yeah, there are still more work to be done on US 29 between the Greensboro Loop and Business 29 exit (closing intersections, upgrading shoulders, interchange work, etc.) before it can be signed I-785 from the Loop to the state line. I don't know about how complete the VA's side of US 29 is, however.

For time being, after the I-785 part of the Greensboro Eastern Loop is complete, it will be designed as I-785 (and Future I-840) which will temporarily end at US 29 for years to come even if the Loop is finished first...

LM117

Quote from: Strider on June 17, 2016, 04:37:19 PMI don't know about how complete the VA's side of US 29 is, however.

All that's left on the VA side of US-29 is eliminating the Elizabeth Street RIRO's in Danville and lengthening the acceleration ramps at some of the interchanges. Then it'll be good to go.

LM117

http://www.wral.com/newly-finished-lanes-to-be-opened-in-fortify-zone-friday-night/15785931/

QuoteAs construction work continues in the Fortify zone on Interstate 40 in south Raleigh, crews are set on Friday to shift traffic onto newly finished lanes of I-40 West.

Weather permitting, contractors will shift traffic to new lanes from west of Lake Wheeler Road to west of the Avent Ferry Road bridge overnight Friday into Saturday morning.

A similar shift took place last month on I-40 East.

Crews have spent this week preparing for the move by moving barriers and painting new lane markings.

Eventually, concrete barriers will be moved in place in the area to provide additional protection for workers still finishing other parts of the highway.

There are more lane shifts on inside travel lanes planned for the summer, North Carolina Department of Transportation officials said.

All traffic in the 8.5-mile I-40 section of the project should be on the new travel lanes by early fall.

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on June 17, 2016, 08:55:34 PM
http://www.wral.com/newly-finished-lanes-to-be-opened-in-fortify-zone-friday-night/15785931/

QuoteAs construction work continues in the Fortify zone on Interstate 40 in south Raleigh, crews are set on Friday to shift traffic onto newly finished lanes of I-40 West.

Weather permitting, contractors will shift traffic to new lanes from west of Lake Wheeler Road to west of the Avent Ferry Road bridge overnight Friday into Saturday morning.

Crews have spent this week preparing for the move by moving barriers and painting new lane markings.

Eventually, concrete barriers will be moved in place in the area to provide additional protection for workers still finishing other parts of the highway.

There are more lane shifts on inside travel lanes planned for the summer, North Carolina Department of Transportation officials said.

All traffic in the 8.5-mile I-40 section of the project should be on the new travel lanes by early fall.
NCDOT posted a news release this morning to say the work has been postponed due to rain until next week:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=12647

CanesFan27

Quote from: LM117 on June 16, 2016, 11:40:46 AM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 15, 2016, 05:21:04 PM
Quote from: LM117 on June 14, 2016, 04:38:32 PM
I doubt the US-1 freeway would end at NC-98 in Wake Forest permanently. I think it's likely that NCDOT will want to extend the freeway conversion to I-85 in Henderson eventually. If they do, does anybody wanna guess the odds that NCDOT will ask AASHTO and FHWA to turn US-1 between I-540 and I-85 into I-685?
I don't see any possibility of US 1 being converted to a freeway all the way to Henderson. We'll agree to disagree. It might not happen in the near future, but I think it'll be on their radar in the next 20 years.

The purpose of the freeway to NC 98 is to ease commuting in Raleigh. Obviously.

Also, the I-885 project in Durham will provide a better connection to I-85 for Cary, Apex, and the west side of Raleigh (and it is actually under construction). Yep, I saw the construction when I came through Durham on my way to Greenville last September and it will indeed be a great connection to I-85 for that region. Not so much for traffic heading to VA and points north from north/northeast Raleigh and vice versa.

Replied in bold.
Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 16, 2016, 10:12:09 PM
North of Wake Forest, US-1 is pretty empty.... for now. The most work they would have to do there is bypass Kittrell. NCDOT does have the southern section on long range plans. They really want to bypass that mess in Aberdeen.

I'd also say upgrading the Franklinton bypass would take some work. I could see them actually just building a new alignment instead of upgrading that small stretch of US 1.

CanesFan27

Quote from: LM117 on June 15, 2016, 10:14:21 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 15, 2016, 08:47:59 AM
Quote from: LM117 on June 14, 2016, 04:38:32 PM
I noticed on the Raleigh RTA's website and the News & Observer that US-1 from I-540 north to NC-98/Durham Road in Wake Forest is slated to be upgraded to a freeway.

http://letsgetmoving.org/priorities/streets/us-1-north/

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article10182638.html

Quote- Convert Raleigh's Capital Boulevard (U.S. 1) to a freeway between the northern 540 Outer Loop and N.C. 98 at Wake Forest. A freeway conversion also is planned for South Miami Boulevard between T.W. Alexander Drive and Lynn Road in Durham. Other clogged intersections in Durham and Wake counties will be upgraded to freeway-style interchanges.

I doubt the US-1 freeway would end at NC-98 in Wake Forest permanently. I think it's likely that NCDOT will want to extend the freeway conversion to I-85 in Henderson eventually. If they do, does anybody wanna guess the odds that NCDOT will ask AASHTO and FHWA to turn US-1 between I-540 and I-85 into I-685?  :poke:

Would a new bridge over the Neuse River be needed?

As you can see - upgrading to a needed freeway from 540 to S. main (Us 1A) isn't going to be an easy task.  They really should have ( and granted hindsight is 20/20) steps to preserve the corridor 20 years ago.

I just looked at the Neuse River bridges on US-1 using Google Streetview and there's good news and bad news. Good news is the northbound span is definitely Interstate standard, since both shoulders are wide enough. Bad news is the southbound bridge will have to be replaced or widened unless FHWA grants a waiver. The outside shoulder is ok, but the inner shoulder appears to be a little too narrow. And yeah, it was a dumb move on NCDOT's part to not preserve the corridor. I guess they didn't anticipate the population boom in the Triangle happening so fast. Construction there is going to be a mess, whenever it finally begins.

There's also the issue of straightening out the curve, possibly eliminating the hill or the grade of the hill approaching the river, and the apartment complex on the south end of the river off of US 1 North.

ARMOURERERIC

Is there a website dedicated to the I-40/77 interchange work.  Went through there with my new car tonight and was ticked that it bottomed out twice on dips on the 40 mainline going 10 MPH under the posted construction speed.  I got a 2008 Lucerne with only 30K miles, so far love it.

mvak36

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 19, 2016, 12:59:02 AM
Is there a website dedicated to the I-40/77 interchange work.  Went through there with my new car tonight and was ticked that it bottomed out twice on dips on the 40 mainline going 10 MPH under the posted construction speed.  I got a 2008 Lucerne with only 30K miles, so far love it.

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i40i77improvements/
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

ARMOURERERIC

Saw an oddity tady, probably discussed before.  I was in Charlotte to hawk my armour goods at SCA practice, then to do duck marketing research at the state farmers market.  Anyhow, I saw a pentagonal shaped sign on Billy Graham Pkwy, signing the road as Charlotte City Route 4.  Are there any other cities with a signed route system and what are the other routes?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 19, 2016, 10:52:58 PM
Saw an oddity tady, probably discussed before.  I was in Charlotte to hawk my armour goods at SCA practice, then to do duck marketing research at the state farmers market.  Anyhow, I saw a pentagonal shaped sign on Billy Graham Pkwy, signing the road as Charlotte City Route 4.  Are there any other cities with a signed route system and what are the other routes?

Not an oddity, it's Charlotte Route 4.  It is the only one in the state and it is a city designation along mostly NCDOT secondary roads.

slorydn1

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 19, 2016, 12:59:02 AM

I know exactly the two dips you speak of. I have been through that area 6 or 7 times in the last 6 months and I never remember that the first one is there until my head hits the roof of my car. :pan:
Then I end up pissing whoever is behind me off when I slow down, ALOT, for the second one because I am still seeing stars from he first one, LOL. :)
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

http://www.wral.com/new-lanes-open-in-fortify-work-zone-in-south-raleigh/15791911/

QuoteDrivers who commute through the Fortify work zone on Interstate 40 were enjoying new travel lanes Monday morning after a traffic shift took place overnight.

Crews on Sunday shifted traffic from west of Lake Wheeler Road to west of the Avent Ferry Road bridge, a sign of the continued progress of the giant highway reconstruction project in south Raleigh.

Crews spent much of last week preparing for the move by moving barriers and painting new lane markings.

bob7374

NCDOT has opened a web portal to allow the public to comment on what projects should be included on the new 2018-2027 State TIP, by Division. The project list and the portal can be reached through:
http://www.ncdot.gov/strategictransportationinvestments/2018-2027.html

ARMOURERERIC

Thank you for that info, I will be submitting this local intersection for consideration for improvement.  https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6337694,-81.5196573,19z

Avalanchez71

So can someone recap the interstate system in NC along with the future interstate system?

CanesFan27

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.