News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Columbus, on Main St eastbound just past the Scioto River:
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on March 15, 2012, 09:14:35 AM
Columbus, on Main St eastbound just past the Scioto River:
[62 and 3]

what is wrong with it?  is 3 supposed to be east west, or 62 north-south?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

OH 3 should be north. 

Optionally, US 62 can also be north, and I personally believe it should be, but that's another subject entirely. Technically US 62 is E—W in Ohio, but it's actually signed N—S in many places, particularly where it overlaps N—S OH 3, but also in some less obvious places.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Well, at least they got shields right.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on March 15, 2012, 11:22:56 AM
3 should be north.

and now I know.  is 3 so diagonal that it could be construed as east-west locally?

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 16, 2012, 11:31:37 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 15, 2012, 11:22:56 AM
3 should be north.
is 3 so diagonal that it could be construed as east-west locally?

Maybe in a hyper-local sense.  It does run on E—W streets for maybe 2 miles total in and near downtown, and across the entire state it's quite diagonal, but everyone around here is familiar with SR 3 as a N—S route.  After all, it's the 3C Highway (Cincinnati—Columbus—Cleveland; not sure if the number 3 is a coincidence) and Columbusites usually think of Cincinnati and Cleveland to be south and north (sometimes southwest and northeast, never west and east), respectively.

NE2

Quote from: vtk on March 16, 2012, 05:31:35 PM
After all, it's the 3C Highway (Cincinnati—Columbus—Cleveland; not sure if the number 3 is a coincidence)
It's probably intentional, since when the initial state route numbers were assigned in the early 1920s, the first 10 or so followed named highways.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on March 16, 2012, 06:10:26 PM
Quote from: vtk on March 16, 2012, 05:31:35 PM
After all, it's the 3C Highway (Cincinnati—Columbus—Cleveland; not sure if the number 3 is a coincidence)
It's probably intentional, since when the initial state route numbers were assigned in the early 1920s, the first 10 or so followed named highways.

are there any other trails that lend themselves easily to a numerical designation?  I know the Lincoln Highway was ... 5.  No idea why they chose that one.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 16, 2012, 06:58:46 PM
are there any other trails that lend themselves easily to a numerical designation?  I know the Lincoln Highway was ... 5.  No idea why they chose that one.
There were special rectangular nameplates placed above the route shields for 1-10:
*1 National Road
*2 Buffalo-Chicago Highway
*3 Three-C Highway
*4 Scioto Trail
*5 Lincoln Highway
*6 Dixie Highway
*7 Ohio River Road
*8 Cleveland-Marietta Road
*9 Wayne Highway
*10 Harding Highway
The 1923 state map shows the routes and an example of a plate for the Lincoln Highway. I'm not sure about all the names.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

one of the Lincoln markers (just the Lincoln, no 5) sold on eBay for $800 or so a few weeks ago.

jake@aaroads.com

eagle14410

Quote from: Mr. Matté on January 26, 2012, 07:38:28 PM
Pretty sure this isn't in the MUTCD:

QuoteWhat's with blurring out the word "EXIT" in the exit number tab and the "EXIT ONLY" wording?

Google Streetview automatically blurs things that look like human faces and license plates. This leads to unintentional blurring of signs, shields, billboards, and faces on billboards.

This was in Spokane a couple of years ago.....the LED lights went out on the sign......it got alot of attention that day!!!!

WillWeaverRVA

Richmond has screwed up the directions on some new US 33 signage they've put up; while it may seem correct, they are signing it as a north-south route when it's signed east-west in Virginia, and it generally goes from east to west in the city.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

CentralCAroadgeek

Here's an example of a sign that has a really strange font that I only see in my area:

Does anyone happen to know what font this is? Whatever it is, I really hate it. It's also everywhere in Salinas.

Central Avenue

Looks like Clarendon to me, though maybe slightly compressed.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Scott5114

Yep, that's Clarendon. Believe it or not it was actually once used on National Park Service road signs. (It's since been replaced by Rawlinson, which is still a serif font.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kacie Jane

The all-way tab is also off somehow.  I can't quite tell if it's actually off-font, or just off-spaced, but it's definitely not right.

luokou

Quote from: Kacie Jane on March 26, 2012, 12:45:23 AM
The all-way tab is also off somehow.  I can't quite tell if it's actually off-font, or just off-spaced, but it's definitely not right.

Seems like slightly compressed Helvetica (as if compression of any font isn't already bad enough), and the corner radius for the inner red rectangle look to be the same as the corner radius for the outer white rectangle, making it even more awkward. Blargh!

Central Avenue

...Is "ALL-WAY" usually hyphenated like that? It looks weird to me, though maybe I'm just misremembering because I haven't seen a "standard" all-way plaque in a while.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

KEK Inc.

I don't think so.  I know it does if there's a number (i.e., 2-WAY).
Take the road less traveled.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Central Avenue on March 26, 2012, 04:30:17 AM
...Is "ALL-WAY" usually hyphenated like that? It looks weird to me, though maybe I'm just misremembering because I haven't seen a "standard" all-way plaque in a while.

Given that that's not what's bugging me, I'm going to choose to believe that I've seen it done both ways.

EDIT:  Never mind.  Looked around GSV a bit, all the ones I saw were unhyphenated.

Michael

Here's a figure from the MUTCD with the STOP sign and a plaque example:

CentralCAroadgeek

Going through my pictures and saw this (don't really know what to call this) weird arrow directions:

This is located along I-5 at the March Lane exit in Stockton. Notice how the white-on-green arrow points to the upper-right, while the exit only arrow only points down.

yakra

I wanna start jumping up n down and shaking my fist, screaming about how that belong in the "Worst of Road Signs" thread...
But it's got button copy! D'awwwww!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

myosh_tino

Here's another goof...

From the AARoads' Gallery
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.