News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okroads

This should say U.S. 70 WEST and OK 199 EAST...

bassoon1986

I went through there just last month and didn't catch ^^that^^ one. I did see on the exit 21, Oswalt road exit that there's a sign once you exit with an arrow that says "TO SH 77" (Or "TO SR 77",  I can't remember).   Definitely US 77 there.

okroads

Quote from: bassoon1986 on March 30, 2012, 12:35:04 PM
I went through there just last month and didn't catch ^^that^^ one. I did see on the exit 21, Oswalt road exit that there's a sign once you exit with an arrow that says "TO SH 77" (Or "TO SR 77",  I can't remember).   Definitely US 77 there.

I admit I didn't even notice this error until the 3rd or 4th time I drove by it.

The Oswalt Road exit off-ramps in both directions have SH-77 listed. There used to be some error OK 77 shields in that general area but I believe they've been fixed.

KEVIN_224

At present, there's construction between Exits 1 and 3 of I-91 in Springfield, MA. Last Friday, I saw a MA Route 91 square in place of where the interstate shield should've been. No, it wasn't on an overhead gantry, but still! It made me think of the RI Route 6 state route sign which used to be along US Route 6 east in the Foster, RI area for years! :)

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 30, 2012, 03:05:14 PM
At present, there's construction between Exits 1 and 3 of I-91 in Springfield, MA. Last Friday, I saw a MA Route 91 square in place of where the interstate shield should've been. No, it wasn't on an overhead gantry, but still! It made me think of the RI Route 6 state route sign which used to be along US Route 6 east in the Foster, RI area for years! :)

MA makes the square-for-a-US mistake frequently. I know of at least a dozen squares for 1 on the north shore alone (both standalone and on paddle signs), and noticed that some square 202s were still up in Belchertown yesterday.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 31, 2012, 09:49:48 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 30, 2012, 03:05:14 PM

MA makes the square-for-a-US mistake frequently. I know of at least a dozen squares for 1 on the north shore alone (both standalone and on paddle signs), and noticed that some square 202s were still up in Belchertown yesterday.

Square 1s are the rarest per mile of any of them, followed probably by 6. 202 and 20 are the most common by far, with 44 close behind. 5 and 7 fall between those extremes.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Steve on March 31, 2012, 06:03:21 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 31, 2012, 09:49:48 AM

Square 1s are the rarest per mile of any of them, followed probably by 6. 202 and 20 are the most common by far, with 44 close behind. 5 and 7 fall between those extremes.
The 'Square' 1s I've seen are in MA are in the Salisbury area.  I've also seen some Square 20s in the Auburn/Charlton area.

It's been a while but I wonder if there are any accidental Square 3s north of Cambridge? :D

Conversely in PA, I've seen a couple of US 3 shields for PA 3 erected (they've since been replaced w/the proper shields) near PA 352 a few years back and in NJ along US 130 between US 322 & I-295, there WERE US 44 shields mistakenly erected for NJ 44 shields (those have since been replaced w/correct shields).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 02, 2012, 05:48:05 PM

It's been a while but I wonder if there are any accidental Square 3s north of Cambridge? :D

isn't there one on the freeway US-3 northbound somewhere near 495?  36 incher.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 02, 2012, 06:14:34 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 02, 2012, 05:48:05 PM

isn't there one on the freeway US-3 northbound somewhere near 495?  36 incher.
There are a couple of free postings, and many on paddle signs, such as along MA 3A and 4.

CentralCAroadgeek

This sign on eastbound I-210 is just plain weird:

First of all, this sign says 3/4 mile twice. Second, a fourth of this arrow is covered by the extra 3/4.

kphoger

It clearly wishes to convey that the Grand Avenue exit is 3/4 of the way between the sign and the pavement; hence the 3/4-down.  This is also why, in fact, 3/4 of the arrow was left showing on the sign.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 03, 2012, 05:32:02 PM

First of all, this sign says 3/4 mile twice. Second, a fourth of this arrow is covered by the extra 3/4.
I wonder if the original 3rd-line message was EXIT 3/4 MILE?  What's interesting is that the first/left "3/4 MI" is button-copy and better resembles the rest of the sign while the cut-off down-arrow and the other "3/4 MI" message is not.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

myosh_tino

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 03, 2012, 05:32:02 PM

Ah, don't you love it when greenout patches fall off?  It appears this is an old porcelain sign fabricated before button reflectors became a requirement that originally read Grand Ave -- Glendora -- EXIT (arrow) 3/4 MI.  At some point the bottom line was greened out and replaced with "3/4 MILE" and button reflectors were added to the main legend.  Then recently, part of the greenout patch fell off revealing the original wording.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Quillz

I just got back from a trip to Mammoth, and saw this in a visitor's guide:

Note the "gullwing" US-395 shield and how some of the state routes use federal standard circle shields, while others have the proper miner's spade. But most importantly, notice the map showing the non-existant California State Route 420, which, to my knowledge, has never existed within the state. (There have been legislatively routes numbered as such, but the number has never been printed onto a shield.)

NE2

Quote from: Quillz on April 04, 2012, 05:43:49 PM
There have been legislatively routes numbered as such, but the number has never been printed onto a shield.
Where was Route 420? http://cahighways.org/305-440.html doesn't list it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

is there a Forest Route 420 up there?

and that 395 goes well past gullwing into unattractive territory.

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 04, 2012, 06:49:18 PM
is there a Forest Route 420 up there?

and that 395 goes well past gullwing into unattractive territory.
According to this, yes: http://www.eatstayplay.com/html/ca/a3724p1454c2031.html

But it's County Route 420, Forest Route 18.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on April 04, 2012, 08:11:01 PM

I don't think I've seen a signed county route at any intersection to that segment of 395.  I know Lassen County doesn't use the standard letter-number style that most of California does, and apparently this county (Mono?) doesn't either. 

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 04, 2012, 08:12:31 PM
Quote from: Quillz on April 04, 2012, 08:11:01 PM

I don't think I've seen a signed county route at any intersection to that segment of 395.  I know Lassen County doesn't use the standard letter-number style that most of California does, and apparently this county (Mono?) doesn't either. 
It's just an inaccurate map to begin with. Notice it's using a generic circle shield for CA-270, a fully signed route.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on April 04, 2012, 08:13:44 PM
It's just an inaccurate map to begin with. Notice it's using a generic circle shield for CA-270, a fully signed route.

indeed.  I just find it interesting that they'd pluck out an unsigned (at least, in my observation) county reference route number, as opposed to using the signed Forest 18 in whatever symbol they deemed correct at the time.

jake@aaroads.com

okroads

What's an "Exit 1/2"?

mobilene

Quote from: okroads on April 04, 2012, 11:11:48 PM
What's an "Exit 1/2"?

It's for narrow cars and motorcycles.  :-)
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

kphoger

It should be read thusly:  EXIT ONE OF TWO
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

okroads

Another one from Louisiana; this one is a little less obvious at first glance:

apeman33

Quote from: okroads on April 05, 2012, 04:35:26 PM
Another one from Louisiana; this one is a little less obvious at first glance:

(Picture snipped)

I see it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.