News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeman33

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 28, 2012, 11:14:55 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2012, 05:35:10 PM
I see this kind of mistake a lot.  No, the lane doesn't actually end.  In some cases, the sign is posted in advance of a right-turn-only lane.  In this case, the lane actually is the slip between frontage road and mainline (the lane most traffic actually uses at this location).

I think that's the first time I've ever seen an overhead sign directing traffic between the mainline and frontage road (in OK, standard assemblies placed on the side of the frontage road and in the gore handle the situation much more cheaply).

The yellow sign can also be used to indicate the road narrows, IIRC. And the overhead signs were probably put up by the City of Wichita, which is mostly responsible for Kellogg (54/400). I chalk up a lot of the sign oddities on Kellogg to the city posting them instead of KDOT.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: apeman33 on June 29, 2012, 06:22:24 PM
The yellow sign can also be used to indicate the road narrows, IIRC.

Absolutely not.  Presumably they added the lane markings to the sign in the MUTCD to clear up that misconception.

roadfro

Quote from: kphoger on June 29, 2012, 01:20:35 PM
Quote from: corco on June 28, 2012, 11:28:42 PM
I've seen New Mexico do this with that sign on numerous occasions to indicate a lane is beginning

Is that sign not approved for use?  I've seen it in other countries' list of highway signs so didn't realize we weren't supposed to use it here.

Not in that fashion, because it is a symbolic "lane ends" sign. Presumably, there is no need for a warning that a road widens.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alps

Quote from: roadfro on June 29, 2012, 08:12:56 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 29, 2012, 01:20:35 PM
I've seen New Mexico do this with that sign on numerous occasions to indicate a lane is beginning

Is that sign not approved for use?  I've seen it in other countries' list of highway signs so didn't realize we weren't supposed to use it here.

Not in that fashion, because it is a symbolic "lane ends" sign. Presumably, there is no need for a warning that a road widens.
Some states have fashioned an equivalent black on white regulatory sign to indicate a passing lane ahead. To me, a warning sign is the most appropriate way to do it, but there's no right answer.

roadfro

^ Any pictures? I've never seen a symbolic "Passing Lane Ahead" sign.

I think more recent guidance says the textual "passing lane ahead" type signs should be white on green.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hbelkins

Kentucky's  black-on-white signage reads, "Truck Lane 500 Feet."

At the spot where the lane is added, signage will read either "Keep Right Except To Pass" or "Slower Traffic Keep Right."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

national highway 1

Quote from: hbelkins on June 28, 2012, 11:13:31 PM

The '246' in that VA shield needs to be vertically centered better.

I'd prefer the zia to be red. Kurumi SignMaker uses a 2-digit red zia for its NM shields.

Why is the pavement grooved?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Central Avenue

Quote from: national highway 1 on June 30, 2012, 12:54:40 AM
Why is the pavement grooved?

Looks like it was milled in preparation for resurfacing.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Alps

Quote from: roadfro on June 29, 2012, 09:10:58 PM
^ Any pictures? I've never seen a symbolic "Passing Lane Ahead" sign.

I think more recent guidance says the textual "passing lane ahead" type signs should be white on green.
Actually, I think I was thinking Canadian.

roadfro

^ Hmm...interesting. In some ways, I like it...

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

akotchi

I just saw one used this way near my home.  The one I saw, though, has the lane lines in it.  Not real sure what kind of benefit it has . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

vtk

Edit: Noticed a new thread which is a better home for my post.  [moved here]
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vtk

(Not Pictured, but try GSV)

In downtown Columbus, westbound Rich St at Front St has an assembly directing US 62 and OH 3 traffic to turn right onto Front St.  This instruction hasn't been correct for several years – although to be fair, there was no "correct" until a few days ago – it should be changed to direct traffic straight ahead.

Side note: ODOT's Straight Line Diagrams, the online versions of which claim to be up to date as of 2009 January, still indicate US 62 WB and OH 3 SB use a portion of Town St which hasn't existed since City Center Mall was built in the 80's.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Steve on June 29, 2012, 08:38:35 PMSome states have fashioned an equivalent black on white regulatory sign to indicate a passing lane ahead. To me, a warning sign is the most appropriate way to do it, but there's no right answer.

Oregon uses a regulatory (black on white) "Passing Lane 1 Mile" (or 1/2 Mile) in places where there is usually congestion and motorists begging to pass slower traffic...this way it lets the rubberneckers know that they don't have long and they'll be able to get around the slow pokes.

Here's an example (not my picture): http://www.flickr.com/photos/elithebearded/2754171132/

mcdonaat

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 28, 2012, 11:14:55 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2012, 05:35:10 PM
I see this kind of mistake a lot.  No, the lane doesn't actually end.  In some cases, the sign is posted in advance of a right-turn-only lane.  In this case, the lane actually is the slip between frontage road and mainline (the lane most traffic actually uses at this location).

I think that's the first time I've ever seen an overhead sign directing traffic between the mainline and frontage road (in OK, standard assemblies placed on the side of the frontage road and in the gore handle the situation much more cheaply).
The only example that I know of in Louisiana where frontage road traffic is on an overhead assembly: http://goo.gl/maps/Dvzw

Ian

Just an FYI to the other Philly crew, I just spotted a brand new PennDOT installed (as identified by the PennDOT symbol) PA 13 shield at the intersection of PA 420 and US 13 in Ridley Park. I'll have to go out soon and snap some photos before it's replaced.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

vtk

Quote from: vtk on May 11, 2012, 06:55:06 PM
The shiny new sign includes the Cleveland Ave exit, which is closed and will never reopen.  There isn't even a CLOSED panel.

Quote from: Central Avenue on May 11, 2012, 09:54:30 PM

Update: The bottom line of this sign has been greened out, resulting in a sign with a lot of apparently-unnecessary green space.  That's probably the permanent solution, at least until a few more severe wind storms come through the area...

Central Avenue

Tacky, but admittedly less wasteful than replacing the sign outright.

Still, it would be nice if they eventually patch on the appropriate third exit...not that I'm holding my breath.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

vtk

Quote from: Central Avenue on July 12, 2012, 11:37:32 PM
Tacky, but admittedly less wasteful than replacing the sign outright.

Still, it would be nice if they eventually patch on the appropriate third exit...not that I'm holding my breath.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of that, but it's a great idea, and I hope that's what they do.  What they'll call the exit is still a bit of a mystery to me, though.  Lester Dr? Spring St? Downtown? Considering there will also be a Main St exit downstream, as well as a Broad St exit for probably several more years, I think just Downtown is unlikely.

Takumi

The west intersection of VA 10 and its business route. I think the arrow next to Smithfield should be pointing left, because, you know, that's where the business route goes.

Suffolk has lots of missing Business banners from US 58 and 460 shields.

As previously mentioned, VA 403 does not go north here.

The exit tab is on the wrong side.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JustDrive

EB Covina Hills Road at Via Verde in San Dimas, CA has a sign pointing towards "Los Angeles/Pomona Freeway" except that Via Verde only has an access road to I-10 on one end and a full interchange with CA 57 on the other.  Sure, you can take the 57 to the 60 west (towards Los Angeles), but it still strikes me as odd that they'd place a Pomona Fwy sign north of I-10.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=San+Dimas,+CA&hl=en&ll=34.069974,-117.836845&spn=0.004986,0.010568&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.963048,86.572266&hnear=San+Dimas,+Los+Angeles,+California&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=34.070011,-117.836765&panoid=-d1qrtA4pqpgxjKoYer0xw&cbp=12,163.8,,0,3.2

gotwins76

I didn't even notice this the first time I went through the pictures I took on this trip, because I was trying to get the mileage sign...and then all of a sudden, PA 30.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Takumi on July 16, 2012, 02:52:20 PM
The exit tab is on the wrong side.

This seems to be a recurring problem in Virginia. The eastbound 1 mile advance sign for US 17 / J Clyde Morris Blvd on I-64 in Newport News has a left-aligned exit tab even though the interchange is a simple cloverleaf with both ramps on the right.
That whole sign is an oddity... it's mounted Georgia-style.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Sanctimoniously

Don't tell Virginia Beach it isn't VA 615 anymore. (Or SR 615.) Princess Anne Road southbound, six miles from the North Carolina border.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.