News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

At first glance one would think they were trying to sign it as I-615...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Sanctimoniously

It's almost a candidate for The Worst Of.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on July 19, 2012, 10:06:14 PM

Well, that's true for 90% of the signs Virginia Beach puts up. ;)

EDIT: Speaking of which...

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

PurdueBill

I realized that this sign error was posted recently and need to let someone know (ODOT, I guess--although technically Akron owns the roadway in question). 

On I-76 WB/I-77 NB, where OH 59 ends and merges as a 3+2=4 merge (left lane of 59 merges with right lane of 76), the sign below USED to be posted--perhaps nonstandard but effective.  As roadfan.com says, closer to Cleveland a merge sign with "two tails" would be used--which to me is less intuitive.

It was replaced recently in the replacement of most signs on that stretch (except for BGS, which were replaced in 2003 and are good enough as is evidently; the underlighting was removed from overheads but signs remained) with a standard added-lane sign, which is inaccurate.  The right lane of 76 DOES have traffic merging.  They really need to fix it somehow.

(You might note that also recently, the original bridge railings were removed and guardrail was installed on the concrete instead--this was done on all such overpasses on that stretch of the road.)

Takumi

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 19, 2012, 10:16:08 PM
Quote from: Sanctimoniously on July 19, 2012, 10:06:14 PM

Well, that's true for 90% of the signs Virginia Beach puts up. ;)

EDIT: Speaking of which...
(VA 615 shield)

Coming from VA 149 there's another LGS like that. It looked like there were two VA 615 shields on it, from what I could tell (which, as you could tell from the video, wasn't that much due to the downpour).
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

vtk

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 19, 2012, 10:22:34 PM

I suspect that, in the process of sign replacement, someone mis-identified the original non-standard sign as a standard lane-added sign (or thought it was "close enough").  Visually, it did look more like a lane-added sign than the correct standard "inside lanes merge" sign.  And I'm pretty sure it's still ODOT who does all the maintenance on Interstates within city limits, unless there's a specific agreement in place.  (Non-Interstate freeways are usually city-maintained, which can lead to some subpar signage sometimes...)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PurdueBill

Quote from: vtk on July 20, 2012, 12:07:23 AM
I suspect that, in the process of sign replacement, someone mis-identified the original non-standard sign as a standard lane-added sign (or thought it was "close enough").  Visually, it did look more like a lane-added sign than the correct standard "inside lanes merge" sign.  And I'm pretty sure it's still ODOT who does all the maintenance on Interstates within city limits, unless there's a specific agreement in place.  (Non-Interstate freeways are usually city-maintained, which can lead to some subpar signage sometimes...)

Indeed they probably looked at it quick and misidentified it.  They should correct it somehow though.  As far as maintenance, just about all plowing, patching, etc. on the expressway is done by City of Akron Highway Department trucks and personnel, not ODOT.  When an exit gore sign is knocked down, it's the City that either puts it back up or replaces it in its own style (evident in several wacky gore signs that aren't quite up to state specs).  Major work is done by ODOT, like the full repaving/bridge joint and railing replacement last year, or BGS replacement.  It is the same on not only I-76/77 and the separate I-76 and I-77 stretches inside Akron, but I-277 and route 8 as well.  Either they do have an agreement in place, or Akron is just getting screwed.  :P  (I believe that Cleveland also has freewayage that it is responsible for instead of ODOT.)  The work that replaced the sign in question was ODOT major rehab and in the process the existing AKTE signage that had appeared over the years was removed.

The roadfan.com page linked shows a couple other unique merge/added lane signs that are now gone that were one-of-a-kind AKTE creations, and the shot of the overhead BGS at Grant St. shows one of Akron's shots at an exit gore sign that has a small suffix letter for whatever reason.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 20, 2012, 09:25:38 AM
The roadfan.com page linked shows a couple other unique merge/added lane signs that are now gone that were one-of-a-kind AKTE creations, and the shot of the overhead BGS at Grant St. shows one of Akron's shots at an exit gore sign that has a small suffix letter for whatever reason.

Thanks for the update to my Marc's site?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Jim

The rare "US 32":

Taken on Feura Bush Rd in Glenmont, NY, from its intersection with US 9W.  Other NY 32 signs I saw in the area were all correct.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Alps

Quote from: Jim on July 21, 2012, 01:20:33 PM
The rare "US 32":

Taken on Feura Bush Rd in Glenmont, NY, from its intersection with US 9W.  Other NY 32 signs I saw in the area were all correct.

That's an improvement then, unless you didn't keep taking Feura Bush. A bunch of errors there, as well as a lot of old reference markers.

Jim

Quote from: Steve on July 21, 2012, 04:23:25 PM
Quote from: Jim on July 21, 2012, 01:20:33 PM
The rare "US 32":

That's an improvement then, unless you didn't keep taking Feura Bush. A bunch of errors there, as well as a lot of old reference markers.

We didn't.  Just back up 9W to the Thruway.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Central Avenue

Spotted this on OH 3 near Westerville, Ohio. Pretty recent one, too:

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

national highway 1

I quite like the US 3 shield, but not the 'NORTH' banner.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

1995hoo

Quote from: Takumi on July 16, 2012, 02:52:20 PM

The exit tab is on the wrong side.

I've been seeing a lot of "wrong-side exit tabs" in Northern Virginia recently, although most of them are in a slightly different scenario from what you've posted. See below for an example from the Beltway's Outer Loop–picture taken on April 26 and the sign has since been corrected after I sent a picture to VDOT.

The error, for those unfamiliar with the road, is that the exit for US-50 is on the right. But I think someone at VDOT's Northern Virginia office, or else someone at the company that's building the high-occupancy/toll lanes on the Beltway, thinks that the exit tab goes on the left for an exit that's not the immediate next exit. I suspect this because I've seen the same mistake in multiple places–a similar problem existed on the Inner Loop at the Gallows Road overpass where the exit sign for US-50 had the tab on the right and the adjacent sign for I-66 had the tab on the left. VDOT fixed that one as well after I reported it and I hadn't seen any more of this for awhile.....until last week. I've been commuting to Reston Town Center for the past week and on two occasions I took the Dulles Toll Road on the way home instead of the Fairfax County Parkway. As you approach the Beltway after going through the main toll plaza, you see signs for both I-495 south (first exit on the right) and I-495 north (second exit on the right), along with a third sign in between that's covered up (almost certainly for the not-yet-open HO/T lane ramp). The sign for I-495 south correctly has the exit tab on the right, but the sign for I-495 north incorrectly has it on the left. I think the person who's been finalizing the sign specs must think it's a symmetry thing or some such.

I haven't reported the Toll Road sign yet.

(BTW, in the picture I posted above the covered-up sign pretty obviously has a left-aligned exit tab, but that one is correct–the not-yet-completed exit from the HO/T lanes will be on the left.)

Edited to add: Here is a picture I took today of the Dulles Toll Road sign mentioned above. Both exits for the Beltway are on the right, as is the yet-to-open Express Lanes ramp. Obviously I misremembered when I said before that the center sign was covered up.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Courtesy of the Idiot..er..Illinois Department of Transportation.

I-55 Exit 165.  Should be marked as Exit 165, but oddly marked as Exit 165A only on this sign.  Note that the gore sign in the background is correct.

Someone had a massive brain fart when making this sign, or decided that "Exit 165, Exit 165A, close enough, let's reuse this one for the southbound side."  The northbound side has both Exits 165 A & B.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

deathtopumpkins

And since when is "BUSN" an appropriate abbreviation for business?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Kacie Jane

And since when is that the proper way to hyphenate?

kphoger

I've seen both the BUSN abbreviation and the hyphenation convention elsewhere before.

I specifically remember a university name on an auxiliary sign on I-410 southeast of San Antonio being hyphenated in that manner.  It's the best way to denote that it is not simply one town's name being hyphenated, but rather two town names.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

deathtopumpkins

The hyphen isn't even necessary in the first place since the names are on a separate line.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Special K

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 26, 2012, 07:45:30 AM

And there is no need to abbreviate it in the first place... plus, it's on the wrong side of the shield.

Duke87

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 26, 2012, 07:45:30 AM

Better than "BUS", which would seem to imply that the route is designed for buses.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadman65 on July 26, 2012, 08:29:20 PM
I think this one takes the cake.https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Valley+Forge,+PA&hl=en&ll=40.089662,-75.41683&spn=0.008339,0.021136&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.082817,86.572266&oq=valley+f&hnear=Valley+Forge,+Schuylkill,+Chester,+Pennsylvania&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.089708,-75.416685&panoid=hOnXfNKOlP7crC0FAfcHlg&cbp=12,90,,0,0

I do not know if it was posted already or not, but I do not think anything could be more wrong than what the pull through for the PA Turnpike uses at Valley Forge.

Steve's I-76 page has more info about that disastrous assembly.  The exit sign is a little messy but understandable, but the NJTP patch over I-276 is inexcusable.  What were they thinking?

akotchi

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 26, 2012, 08:47:38 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 26, 2012, 08:29:20 PM
I think this one takes the cake.https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Valley+Forge,+PA&hl=en&ll=40.089662,-75.41683&spn=0.008339,0.021136&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.082817,86.572266&oq=valley+f&hnear=Valley+Forge,+Schuylkill,+Chester,+Pennsylvania&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.089708,-75.416685&panoid=hOnXfNKOlP7crC0FAfcHlg&cbp=12,90,,0,0

I do not know if it was posted already or not, but I do not think anything could be more wrong than what the pull through for the PA Turnpike uses at Valley Forge.

Steve's I-76 page has more info about that disastrous assembly.  The exit sign is a little messy but understandable, but the NJTP patch over I-276 is inexcusable.  What were they thinking?
I just passed through there yesterday on my way home from Pittsburgh.  The pull-through has been patched over with an overlay with a proper I-276 shield.  There is a supplemental sign in advance of it with the message "NJTP use East I-276," or something like it.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

roadman65

What I think is also wrong with the sign is the fact there is a I-476 shield on the I-76 exit sign.  It is true that I-76 does lead to I-476, but if you are going north on 476 toward Allentown it the best way is to stay on the turnpike to the Mid County Interchange. 

The same is on I-78 in Springfield, NJ that has a "TO I-287" shield on the Exit 48 guide signs for NJ 24.   Since NJ 24 was completed to I-287 in the early 90s that was added to that sign to let motorists know the freeway was finally completed after years of it ending at the JFK Parkway.  However, if you are heading south on I-287 to Somerville from I-78 west, then staying on it for another 18 miles is the best and shortest way of achieving that.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.