News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Oh yeah. But wasn't that a temporary construction error?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on September 13, 2012, 01:07:10 PM
Oh yeah. But wasn't that a temporary construction error?

I think you're right.  I remember there being an orange banner above it, but I don't recall if that is for construction, or one of Michigan's ALTERNATE tabs.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

I remember seeing some photos of it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

route56

Quote from: apeman33 on September 09, 2012, 04:18:41 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2012, 04:16:50 PM
There was an instance of an Ohio 400 shield being posted...on US-400...in Kansas.

I took photos of them. They were put on the bypass around Parsons when it first opened.

So did I....
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Scott5114

There is also a "Connecticut 51" shield in Payne County, Oklahoma, although that one is arguable since it's just a white square someone decided to leave the meat cleaver off of (and then center).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 13, 2012, 05:55:43 PM
There is also a "Connecticut 51" shield in Payne County, Oklahoma, although that one is arguable since it's just a white square someone decided to leave the meat cleaver off of (and then center).

does it have the thick border?  if not, then it is a Massachusetts/Maine/old NH.

by that argument, there are several dozen Massachusetts shields in Connecticut. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 13, 2012, 06:09:52 PM

There have been a few documented white squares in Virginia as well.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 13, 2012, 06:09:52 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 13, 2012, 05:55:43 PM

does it have the thick border?  if not, then it is a Massachusetts/Maine/old NH.

It has no border. It's on a BGS.

The High Plains Traveler

Don't see a lot of this kind of mistake in Colorado (Thenetwork's avatar notwithstanding). Sign replacement as part of a pavement rehabilitation project between Manzanola and Rocky Ford along (still) U.S. 50.

CO-50 by The High Plains Traveler, on Flickr

Here is a through-the-dirty-windshield shot where I had no safe place to stop, with the old sign immediately behind the new.

50-50 by The High Plains Traveler, on Flickr

Thenetwork's CO-24 signs over Tennessee Pass were up for over a year, I think. They finally disappeared between two trips I took there between September and October last year. We'll see if the CDOT project engineer's final inspection on this project yields a quick correction.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

national highway 1

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 13, 2012, 07:21:52 PM
Don't see a lot of this kind of mistake in Colorado (Thenetwork's avatar notwithstanding). Sign replacement as part of a pavement rehabilitation project between Manzanola and Rocky Ford along (still) U.S. 50.

CO-50 by The High Plains Traveler, on Flickr

Thenetwork's CO-24 signs over Tennessee Pass were up for over a year, I think. They finally disappeared between two trips I took there between September and October last year. We'll see if the CDOT project engineer's final inspection on this project yields a quick correction.
Is the black outline around the 'C' in the Colorado shields standard practice or is it just a one-off?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: national highway 1 on September 13, 2012, 07:58:40 PM
Is the black outline around the 'C' in the Colorado shields standard practice or is it just a one-off?
Look at the shield gallery. I just did, despite the fact I drive past three different CO-state routes almost every day and couldn't otherwise have told you for sure. The border around the "C" on the state flag is standard. What I noted about the new signs along this stretch was a lack of CDOT maintenance decals on either side - true for all the new signage, including speed limit. Almost always they're on the front of the sign.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Road Hog

For a while in Texarkana eastbound on I-30, there was a US 93 shield on a BGS on the Texas side instead of Texas SH 93.

thenetwork

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 13, 2012, 07:21:52 PM

Actually, the sign that is in my avatar was seen in beautiful downtown Minturn, CO

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=minturn,+co&hl=en&ll=39.589171,-106.431491&spn=0.004754,0.01237&sll=38.997934,-105.550567&sspn=4.908379,12.667236&hnear=Minturn,+Eagle,+Colorado&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=39.589129,-106.431391&panoid=GoaQLndSWtl3aSM0zXQWOA&cbp=12,345.49,,0,12.72

and IIRC was the last 24 shield (US, state, or otherwise) on WB US-24 before the END US-24 assembly at I-70/US-6.

Alps

Quote from: national highway 1 on September 13, 2012, 07:58:40 PM
It's that way on my wall, so it's likely standard.

Central Avenue

I find myself wondering what the reasoning behind the outlined "C" is. It's not like it's rendered that way on the flag the shield is based on...
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 13, 2012, 12:57:41 PM
I remember someone mentioning a Pennsylvania keystone 31 on US-31 in Michigan.

We happened to have a 2 page thread on this subject here. ;)

kendancy66

Quote from: Steve on September 08, 2012, 02:29:43 AM
Quote from: NE2 on September 08, 2012, 12:41:36 AM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 08, 2012, 12:10:56 AM
Except for hallowed 66 and a piece of former 101 along Pacific Highway north of San Diego, I don't remember any "Historic" U.S. highway markings in California. I've driven long stretches of 99, 299, 58 (466) and 1 (Alt. 101) and seen no brown signs.
99 has some at the south end at least: http://www.usends.com/90-99/099/099.html
I've witnessed them for US 80 in San Diego, as well.
There are also historic US-395 signs in San Diego County, and historic US-99 signs on San Fernando Rd in Los Angeles.

national highway 1

Quote from: kendancy66 on September 14, 2012, 10:20:48 PM
Quote from: Steve on September 08, 2012, 02:29:43 AM
Quote from: NE2 on September 08, 2012, 12:41:36 AM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 08, 2012, 12:10:56 AM
Except for hallowed 66 and a piece of former 101 along Pacific Highway north of San Diego, I don't remember any "Historic" U.S. highway markings in California. I've driven long stretches of 99, 299, 58 (466) and 1 (Alt. 101) and seen no brown signs.
99 has some at the south end at least: http://www.usends.com/90-99/099/099.html
I've witnessed them for US 80 in San Diego, as well.
There are also historic US-395 signs in San Diego County, and historic US-99 signs on San Fernando Rd in Los Angeles.
So, speaking of Erroneous signs and Historic US 395, I'd like to show you this erroneous 'Historic US 163' sign on CA 163 in San Diego:

...and its replacement, which even though it is a white CA 163 spade, CA 163 itself only came into existence after 1964, when US 395 was truncated at I-15 at Hesperia in 1972.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Central Avenue

Spotted on Langley Avenue in Whitehall, Ohio:

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Scott5114

This isn't a road sign, but it fits in well with DOTs getting road types confused...I think. I can't really explain what's going on here other than Missouri having weird superstitions about Interstates somehow being part of the U.S. route system.

vtk

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2012, 11:05:01 PM
This isn't a road sign, but it fits in well with DOTs getting road types confused...I think. I can't really explain what's going on here other than Missouri having weird superstitions about Interstates somehow being part of the U.S. route system.

They sort of are, in that AASH(T)O manages both, and an application to change an Interstate is actually an application to change a US route with a couple of extra boxes checked.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

WillWeaverRVA

New sign on VA 195. VA 161 isn't Meadow Street, and the VA 161 exit is perfectly reachable without using the toll plaza.

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

SSOWorld

That's just to get drivers to go around Milwaukee - which is futile either way because that interchange clogs all the time.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

bjrush

Arkansas 162 marked as US 162 in Alma

Woo Pig Sooie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.