News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Yay for a state name road shield, but this is in Tennessee...

This was taken in Birmingham, AL, not Houston, TX:

I didn't know that No Hazardous Materials was a route number. Taken in Franklin, TN:

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Alps

Bonus: the error US 59 shield is an upside-down Truck Route sign.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Steve on November 27, 2012, 05:55:41 PM

I don't know how you managed to see that.  After you said that, I squinted at it and managed to see something there, then realized that if I tilted my laptop screen all the way back, I could make it out.

The arrow is also painted over an upside-down up/left arrow.

Alps

Quote from: Kacie Jane on November 27, 2012, 07:29:58 PM

I don't know how you managed to see that.  After you said that, I squinted at it and managed to see something there, then realized that if I tilted my laptop screen all the way back, I could make it out.

Oh, I can top that. The TRUCK SOUTH is painted over a double arrow.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Steve on November 27, 2012, 10:17:07 PM

Oh, I can top that. The TRUCK SOUTH is painted over a double arrow.

Oh, no worries.  I had that as well. :D

kphoger

I squinted at it and managed to see something there, then realized that if I tilted my laptop screen all the way back, I could make it out.

When I first read this, my mind glossed over the word 'laptop', and I was instead imagining you tilting a CRT monitor way far back.  Then I wondered how that could possibly be easier than just hunching yourself over and looking up at it.  Now it all makes sense...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thenetwork

And it took me an extra few seconds to figure out that the whole flippin' sign was an upside down TRUCK ROUTE sign.  I was under the impression that it was only the banners that were upside-down/flip flopped (as in SOUTH TRUCK US-59).   :spin:

And that overhead wire sign looks real sad -- maybe the font is much bigger sitting in a semi cab 6 feet off the ground.  ;-)

1995hoo

Saw this today in DC. I was on northbound Vermont Avenue at T Street NW. Had a while to stare at it while stopped at the red light and all I could say was, "WTF!"

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadsguy

To be fair, the arrow is still completely on the right of the median symbol. I guess it means "get in the left lane." :P
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on November 26, 2012, 03:53:22 PM

Should be US 25W.

US 441 actually DOES intersect I-75 at the next exit. Of course, that doesn't make this one any less incorrect.

Quote from: hbelkins on November 26, 2012, 03:53:22 PM

Spot the spelling error.

Ugh. Yeah, I saw that IMMEDIATELY. Cincinnati has 3 n's, but doesn't have two t's!

Scott5114

Cincinnati has three N's. That's part of the problem. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JMoses24

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 29, 2012, 07:33:56 PM
Cincinnati has three N's. That's part of the problem. :P

Damn it. How sad is it that I miscounted the number of N's, and I live here?!? You're right.

hbelkins

I just found it curious that Tennessee saw fit to sign Cincy on US 25W. Not to mention the misspelling.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on November 29, 2012, 08:32:51 PM
I just found it curious that Tennessee saw fit to sign Cincy on US 25W. Not to mention the misspelling.

It is kind of weird that it's Cincinnati that's signed and not Lexington. You hit Lexington before Cincy, anyway.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 29, 2012, 03:24:51 PM
Saw this today in DC. I was on northbound Vermont Avenue at T Street NW. Had a while to stare at it while stopped at the red light and all I could say was, "WTF!"

Also amusing: green up arrow juxtaposed with right One Way arrow. Should be a green ball.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on November 30, 2012, 06:37:37 PM
Also amusing: green up arrow juxtaposed with right One Way arrow. Should be a green ball.

Usual practice in the District of Columbia seems to be to have a green up arrow on the side where a turn is denied and a green ball on the other side.  Hoo did not  snap an image of the right side signal head, but it's probably a green ball.  GSV saw a green ball on the right when they rolled through there

Years ago, it likely would have been a green up arrow and a green arrow to the right, or (in one lens) a green up arrow "crossed" with a green right arrow.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Duke87

Somehow despite the fact that I lived not too far from here for four years, these evaded my notice until this week:

There's a third one facing the cross street, even!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

PurdueBill

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 30, 2012, 07:44:13 PM
Quote from: Steve on November 30, 2012, 06:37:37 PM

Usual practice in the District of Columbia seems to be to have a green up arrow on the side where a turn is denied and a green ball on the other side.  Hoo did not  snap an image of the right side signal head, but it's probably a green ball.  GSV saw a green ball on the right when they rolled through there

Years ago, it likely would have been a green up arrow and a green arrow to the right, or (in one lens) a green up arrow "crossed" with a green right arrow.

Seen similar in Akron a lot...when intersecting a one-way, they usually use green balls except for the signal closest to the wrong-way direction of the cross street, and then use a straight arrow (e.g., crossing a one-way to the left, the rightmost signal would have a straight arrow, not a green ball, to emphasize that right turns are not an option.)

vtk

Tip from my dad:

In Delaware Co, OH on US 23, a few traffic lights north of OH 750 (which might be Hidden Ravines Dr) there is reportedly a blade sign which reads "US State Route 23".  GSV is too outdated to confirm.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Takumi

Error circle 155 sign on US 60 eastbound approaching VA 155 near Providence Forge. This wasn't there in July.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on December 01, 2012, 04:26:50 PM
Error circle 155 sign on US 60 eastbound approaching VA 155 near Providence Forge. This wasn't there in July.

I've seen more than a few of these tourism signs with secondary shields for primary routes in VA.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

The opposite is also true. The only two I've seen for US routes (301 in Stony Creek and 60 in Williamsburg) have both been right, but had the black background behind the shield.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Takumi on December 01, 2012, 04:26:50 PM

It was there in mid-October...

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.