News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooky

Quote from: cjk374 on October 08, 2014, 11:26:11 AM
Is the sign on the left saying that the CA 85 exit, being described by the sign on the right, a left lane exit...but the exit tab being on the right side of the sign indicating a right-hand exit?

I assume it's an HOV-only exit on the left and a separate general purpose exit on the right?

Kniwt

Quote from: spooky on October 08, 2014, 11:37:51 AM
I assume it's an HOV-only exit on the left and a separate general purpose exit on the right?

That's correct. And it's also correct about the crappy sign design. These are fairly new installations (as seen by the fairly-recent-in-California shift to "HOV 2+" instead of "CARPOOLS").

Mergingtraffic

There is no RI-152 in this area. There was supposed to be but this expressway was supposed to be the US-44 expressway as well.  RIDOT never changed the sign.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

WNYroadgeek

Apparently US 48 got extended northeastward to Oswego (and US 104 got revived, though those shields look old enough to be remnants from when NY 104 actually was US 104): http://goo.gl/maps/H3Ztu

amroad17

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on October 08, 2014, 09:22:45 PM
Apparently US 48 got extended northeastward to Oswego (and US 104 got revived, though those shields look old enough to be remnants from when NY 104 actually was US 104): http://goo.gl/maps/H3Ztu
The END US 48 sign looks like a new installation.  There used to be an END NY 48 sign at that location before.  The US 104 signs have been there forever.  Those signs were never changed when US 104 became NY 104.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

myosh_tino

Quote from: Kniwt on October 07, 2014, 09:17:05 PM
The exit number is wrong and appears to be the exit number for the north 101/85 junction way up in Mountain View.

It's not the first time Caltrans did this.  The 1st Street advance guide sign on southbound I-880 is signed as exit 389 which is the exit number for the 1st Street exit on US 101.  The correct exit number should be 4A.

Quote from: Kniwt on October 07, 2014, 09:17:05 PM
US 101 north, just south of San Jose, taken today:

Ugh, what a horribly laid out pair of signs... especially the use of a small shield on the main sign and large shield on the HOV sign.  I might take this to the Redesign This thread in the Road-Related Illustrations board.

FWIW, here's what those signs originally looked like...
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

pctech

CA. sure sets the bar for ugly freeway signs! Maybe one large sign would have worked better there?

roadfro

^ No, you can't use one sign there, as a separate HOV sign is needed for the separate HOV exit. (Also noticing that the HOV sign doesn't have a yellow "LEFT" plaque...)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

J Route Z

I really liked the old signs better on this one. I mostly like newer signs, but this here's an exception.

national highway 1

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 09, 2014, 12:07:53 PM

Couldn't've Caltrans installed the exit number in the right hand sign in the space above 'Cupertino'? How hard can it be? :hmmm:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Mergingtraffic

The ramp to Tuckahoe Rd from NY-100 hasn't been 2-lanes in years.  but you'd never know it by the sign.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

route17fan

Edit: also, dumb question but when did GA go away from the skinny font they used to have?

vtk: The Feds got after them (either fully or partially) due to a fatal bus crash involving a sports team from Ohio where the driver got in the wrong lane and ended up on a offramp near I want to say Northside Dr in N Atlanta off I-75 southbound. I lived in west Atlanta near Douglasville when this happened; I just don't remember the team.

After that event, the exit tabs began springing up in earnest - ironically after almost a statewide replacement of the old button copy signs with the upper and lower case C and D fonts. If memory serves, the area around Albany GA had exit tabs existing. Please correct me if I am wrong.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

route17fan

I lived in Rotterdam NY up until this past April and when the upside down NY 337 shields were popping up, I went to NYSDOT to point out the error and was petrified that NY 337 would become US 337 given the track record.

Then an upside down NY 990V shield appeared - can you imagine US 990V? AIEEEEEEEE!!!

amroad17

Quote from: route17fan on October 11, 2014, 11:10:22 PM
Edit: also, dumb question but when did GA go away from the skinny font they used to have?

vtk: The Feds got after them (either fully or partially) due to a fatal bus crash involving a sports team from Ohio where the driver got in the wrong lane and ended up on a offramp near I want to say Northside Dr in N Atlanta off I-75 southbound. I lived in west Atlanta near Douglasville when this happened; I just don't remember the team.

After that event, the exit tabs began springing up in earnest - ironically after almost a statewide replacement of the old button copy signs with the upper and lower case C and D fonts. If memory serves, the area around Albany GA had exit tabs existing. Please correct me if I am wrong.
That team was from Bluffton University from Bluffton, OH, located about 60 miles south of Toledo along I-75.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

route17fan

Ah that's right - thank you.

hbelkins

The skinny font didn't have anything to do with that bus wreck, did it?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

Why was i mentioned in the post with the bus crash story?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jbnv

Quote from: doofy103 on October 11, 2014, 10:58:18 PM

The ramp to Tuckahoe Rd from NY-100 hasn't been 2-lanes in years.  but you'd never know it by the sign.
With a name like that, they're lucky that the sign hasn't been stolen.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

route17fan

Quote from: vtk on October 12, 2014, 12:37:46 PM
Why was i mentioned in the post with the bus crash story?

It was a pull quote of asking when the GA typeface was changed from uppercase C and D to E(M) and I was told that the bus crash had something to do with it. I may be wrong but that was what I was told. If I am wrong, I apologize. I also apologize if I misread or misquoted.

machias

The city of Oswego put up a bunch of US 48, US 481 and US 104 signs around the city about 10 years ago, but that US 48 sign is a lot newer than the others. The other post is correct, those US 104 markers date back to when the road really was US 104.

myosh_tino

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 11, 2014, 09:49:55 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on October 09, 2014, 12:07:53 PM

Couldn't've Caltrans installed the exit number in the right hand sign in the space above 'Cupertino'? How hard can it be? :hmmm:

While they have added reflective exit tabs to button-copy signs, it isn't a common practice.  Besides, a 24-inch exit tab wouldn't fit.  It would cover up the top part of the 't' and the dot on the 'i'.

I noticed this sign doesn't have any type of lighting fixtures on the catwalk so it's entirely possible Caltrans replaced it so it would meet the new reflectivity standards in the '09 MUTCD.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

bzakharin

This on the Atlantic City Expressway:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4234786,-74.5742654,3a,75y,114.86h,76.31t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s0ucby2G16O_9ACC8NLWkXA!2e0

It appears to imply that the right two lanes exit and only the left lane is through. In fact, none of the lanes exit, there are two added lanes at the location of the exit.

Edit: The original exit BGSs on the NJ Turnpike suffer from this, but in reverse, with two downward errors on the "Thru Traffic" signs implying that the right lane exits. Those arrows are going away, though.

agentsteel53

http://goo.gl/maps/SjqWh

70th St/Lake Murray exit off I-8 eastbound.  technically this isn't erroneous, but it sure is misleading.

left sign says: "Alvarado Rd./Lake Murray Rd./70th st" - use left lane.  right sign says: "Lake Murray Rd." - use right lane.

there is no further signage.

downstream, the left lane splits into two.  one of the lanes turns left, and one turns right (to go with the right lane, which also turns right).

Alvarado is the T-junction you come to.  all three lanes take you to Alvarado.  left lane is Alvarado eastbound; middle and right lanes are Alvarado westbound.  then, to get to 70th/Lake Murray (the road changes name at Alvarado), you must go right, taking Alvarado for a very brief distance to get to that intersection.

so technically the sign is correct, but there definitely needs to be a clarification that, just downstream of the sign, you will need to make a decision at the lane split - and Lake Murray and 70th can only be accessed from one lane, so choose wisely.  a second gantry would be extremely helpful.

(it doesn't help that the interchange itself is one of those 50s remnant ad-hoc "designs" that someone threw together because it connected everything, and that's sufficient, isn't it?)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5355629,-77.4319594,3a,37.5y,32.32h,91.76t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shGio_X_bMfERE12bSNryaA!2e0?hl=en
The US 60 shields are totally wrong and also facing the wrong way.  US 60 East is the same direction as US 360 East here and west is to the left on Main.

Furthermore, pan around to the direct opposite corner and another assembly is there also erroneous.

I guess this is what happens when the state turns over all highways inside independent cities over to the city for maintenance.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

okroads

DSC01746 by okroads, on Flickr

This should have a "WEST" tab and not an "EAST" tab. Photo taken by me on 7-24-14.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.