News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okroads

"Cordell" is missing an "l"...

hbelkins

^^^
Johnny Bench's hometown!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bud8Amp88

This may be the worst one I've found yet:

WB T.C.H. 105, Exit 18: http://goo.gl/maps/Vga1x

This is supposed to be the western northern terminus of Route 305, yet the sign has a Route 303 plate on it. Route 303 is actually located in Digby, on the other side of the freaking province!

EDIT: Turns out 305 is also a north/south route, not east/west.
I'm a roadgeek...and I have the cramps in my neck to prove it...

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webfil

East, west, north and south mixing up on the R-369 and R-358 multiplex in Québec city. R-369 is supposed to be north/south, R-358 east/west.

http://goo.gl/maps/tzrTx
http://goo.gl/maps/kgnK8
http://goo.gl/maps/rLsg5

Since the great download of 1993 (maintenance of 40,000 km of roads was transfered to local administrations), missing signage and sign error blossomed across the province in the last 20 years! Those are few among a bunch.

roadman65

Here is a really good one on Livingston Avenue in New Brunswick, NJ.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+Brunswick,+NJ&hl=en&ll=40.489455,-74.448166&spn=0.003484,0.006899&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=8.300816,14.128418&oq=new+br&t=h&hnear=New+Brunswick,+Middlesex,+New+Jersey&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.489339,-74.447986&panoid=ypEWXOfYmJqhYyPF562Iug&cbp=12,39.73,,0,0

The NB NJ 26 shield behind the NJ Turnpike shield is totally erroneous as that part of Livingston Avenue (or any part of in New Brunswick proper) has not been NJ 26 for over 51 years.  It should be a NJ 171 shield as this is just after NJ 171 turns the corner from the road on the right in this photo.  NJ 26 was truncated back in 1962 to the North Brunswick/ New Brunswick border along Livingston Avenue.

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

Steve could probably attest to this better than I could, since I think that shield is featured on this site, but it's certainly possible that it dates to a time when it was not erroneous.

roadman65

Quote from: Kacie Jane on February 06, 2013, 07:58:22 PM
Steve could probably attest to this better than I could, since I think that shield is featured on this site, but it's certainly possible that it dates to a time when it was not erroneous.
Yeah, I caught his picture of it.  He claims that the date on the sign was indeed 1965.  Although, Wikipedia says that it was truncated in 1962.  Whether it was left from before or not, around 50 years is a little too long for a sign to be standing on a road that no longer exists in the location.  I will say this is erroneous.  If it was truncated within the past few decades, I would give some leeway and say that it is not.  However, this sign is as old as I am and I will be 48 years old this month.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on February 06, 2013, 08:27:22 PM
Although, Wikipedia says that it was truncated in 1962.
???
"By the 1980s, Route 26 had been truncated back to Nassau Street."

The article is typical Mitchazenia, by the way. Don't trust it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Kacie Jane

Whether it was left from before or not, around 50 years is a little too long for a sign to be standing on a road that no longer exists in the location.  I will say this is erroneous.

I didn't mean to imply that it isn't erroneous this time.  Just adding to the discussion. :)

roadman65

Quote from: Kacie Jane on February 06, 2013, 08:42:04 PM
Whether it was left from before or not, around 50 years is a little too long for a sign to be standing on a road that no longer exists in the location.  I will say this is erroneous.

I didn't mean to imply that it isn't erroneous this time.  Just adding to the discussion. :)
No, I know what you meant.  However, you do bring up a really neat point.  Take a look at this sign assembly for instance.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Trenton,+NJ&hl=en&ll=40.232282,-74.760482&spn=0.00706,0.013797&sll=27.741885,-83.803711&sspn=8.297864,14.128418&oq=tre&t=h&hnear=Trenton,+Mercer,+New+Jersey&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.232356,-74.760395&panoid=olletUPKmLvxRGca6XODQQ&cbp=12,50.53,,0,-0.53

It is is most definetly erroneous!  This is not US 206 North or US 1 Business at all!  It is on the SB alignment of US 206, though.  It was indeed US 1 Alternate at one time and also its parent before the Trenton Freeway was built.   If you look at it your way, all the signs except for the US 1 shield are in error. 

Then this next one here proves interesting.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Trenton,+NJ&hl=en&ll=40.250364,-74.742415&spn=0.007059,0.013797&sll=27.741885,-83.803711&sspn=8.297864,14.128418&oq=tre&t=h&hnear=Trenton,+Mercer,+New+Jersey&layer=c&cbll=40.250177,-74.742438&panoid=ViJIzeKZRPIbU8MEmOPLjA&cbp=12,225,,0,0&z=16

This one for sure is as well.  CR 583 SB does not go to the right as this is its southern terminus.  It should say US 206 South as US 206 turns here onto Princeton Avenue to lead into Trenton.  Instead trailbazing for straight through US 206 takes you straight ahead into the Brunswick Circle, where you are directed back to Princeton Avenue via Strawberry Street.  The Brunswick Circle exit for US 206 south signed also for Princeton Avenue is erroneous for straight through US 206 traffic heading south, but for US 1 Business it would not be as that would be the connector to US 206 South.  Then US 1 Business shields with US 206 for Princeton Avenue within the Brunswick Circle are in error now because US 1 Business heads east on Strawberry Street to rejoin its parent.

You did indeed add to this discussion and I am not upset nor taken any offense.  I like what you brought up and it led me to post this.  You can actually look at things from two directions and things could be interpreted differently, but both each have their own valid merits.

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

This "Left Turn Signal" sign is erroneous.  It should be a "Left Turn Yield on Green" sign just like all of the rest of the intersections along this recently reconstructed segment of US-19.  They had the correct sign at this intersection before they widened the highway.  If I was an idiot and followed what that sign said because the light was green as wasn't looking at the oncoming traffic, crunch.  PennDOT should correct this sign (they also posted an incorrect "Left Turn Signal" sign going the other direction at this same intersection).

roadman65

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 06, 2013, 10:36:21 PM
This "Left Turn Signal" sign is erroneous.  It should be a "Left Turn Yield on Green" sign just like all of the rest of the intersections along this recently reconstructed segment of US-19.  They had the correct sign at this intersection before they widened the highway.  If I was an idiot and followed what that sign said because the light was green as wasn't looking at the oncoming traffic, crunch.  PennDOT should correct this sign (they also posted an incorrect "Left Turn Signal" sign going the other direction at this same intersection).

Amen to this.  People in Florida think that this is a left turn signal without a sign.  Hopefully the left turn yellow will be standard  nationwide soon to avoid this.

Sheryl Crowe

Mr_Northside

This "Left Turn Signal" sign is erroneous.  It should be a "Left Turn Yield on Green" sign just like all of the rest of the intersections along this recently reconstructed segment of US-19. If I was an idiot and followed what that sign said because the light was green as wasn't looking at the oncoming traffic, crunch.

It might be harder to tell in this pic alone, but the sign also probably looks more out of place because I assume (Assume cause I haven't been up there since the reconstruction/widening) with only 2 lights and 3 lanes (left - straight - straight/right), it's not over the left turn lane either, but between lanes.
Non idiots should realize no-arrow = yield, but that sign really should be replaced ASAP.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on February 07, 2013, 06:47:45 PM
This "Left Turn Signal" sign is erroneous.  It should be a "Left Turn Yield on Green" sign just like all of the rest of the intersections along this recently reconstructed segment of US-19. If I was an idiot and followed what that sign said because the light was green as wasn't looking at the oncoming traffic, crunch.

It might be harder to tell in this pic alone, but the sign also probably looks more out of place because I assume (Assume cause I haven't been up there since the reconstruction/widening) with only 2 lights and 3 lanes (left - straight - straight/right), it's not over the left turn lane either, but between lanes.

You would be correct on this.  All intersections with the traffic lights now have dedicated Left Turn lanes.  All of them also got a new doghouse traffic light for the left turn lane/left straight lane except at the Manor Rd/Chapel Drive intersection just North of the bridge over PA-910.  That intersection got dedicated left turn lights for both directions if I recall correctly (yes, you can now turn left going SB at that intersection).

EDIT: Posted about this on PennDOT's FB page.  We'll see if they respond.  If not, I'll get KDKA or WPXI to go "investigate" this. lol.

akotchi

Interesting discussion above regarding the (erroneous) use of the LEFT TURN SIGNAL sign.  I was having a similar discussion the other day with a colleague about the RIGHT TURN SIGNAL sign.

I see many instances in my area (southeastern Pennsylvania) where a five-section head is mounted on a signal pole to be used for right-turn arrow overlapping phases.  Most of the time, the sign RIGHT TURN SIGNAL is posted near to that signal head. 

As long as there is a solid green indication on the signal head, whether there are arrows or not, these signs cannot be used.  The orignal use for the LEFT TURN SIGNAL sign, IIRC, was to distinguish a left turn signal head, with a green arrow but solid red and solid or arrow yellow, from a through head with all solid indications.

Not sure why the sign is used in the application I described above.  I have noticed that it can also give the impression of NTOR on that approach as well.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Kacie Jane

This is extremely subtle, but I pass by it often enough, and it irks me enough, that I decided to finally post it. http://goo.gl/maps/7pi1U

There's nothing erroneous about the sign in the foreground.  There is a left HOV exit for 317th Street in approximately a mile.

There's also nothing erroneous about the sign in the background.  There is a right general-purpose exit for 320th Street in approximately a mile.

The problem is... the exit for 317th is after the one for 320th, so the 317th sign should be after the one for 320th.

(Incidentally, the one for 317th is newer, and is actually more correct.  I used Google Earth to measure the distance for each; for 317th it's 5200 feet from sign to gore, for 320th it's only about 4400 feet.)

ilvny

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on December 30, 2012, 11:45:06 PM
If this has been posted, my apologies.

US 1 at SR 0073 in Philadelphia.

I remember seeing this as a kid when I lived in Philadelphia and even then I knew the 73 shield was wrong.  I also remember those signs with the route numbers not being there.

Mapmikey

Here's a good one...

Astute observers will note that bypassed 220 in the area of NC 73 is 220 Business and not 220 ALT.  But that is not what is wrong in this picture.

The 73 shield should be a 731 shield...this is just south of Candor.  Was there for at least 2 months up through Dec 7 when I took this picture.  No idea about right now.

I have seen one other error like this in NC before - at NC 94 SB approaching US 264 below Lake Mattamuskeet there was a NC 45 shield instead of a NC 94 one.  It looks like GMSV captured it (it has been since corrected) - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lake+Mattamuskeet,+NC&hl=en&ll=35.443051,-76.210098&spn=0.000559,0.426407&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=53.001548,109.160156&oq=lake+mattam&t=h&hnear=Lake+Mattamuskeet&z=12&layer=c&cbll=35.443252,-76.210227&panoid=TbQoQCnikehp5d0jKFtAcw&cbp=12,199.75,,0,0

Mapmikey

Truvelo

This sign seems to be in the wrong font

Speed limits limit life

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on February 11, 2013, 09:57:42 AM
The next exit here is not 1 1/2 miles as the sign suggests.
Check your link - you meant the signs before those. "Exit" 18W is in about 1.5 miles.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on February 11, 2013, 10:21:11 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 11, 2013, 09:57:42 AM
The next exit here is not 1 1/2 miles as the sign suggests.
Check your link - you meant the signs before those. "Exit" 18W is in about 1.5 miles.
It makes sense now that you bring that up  as Exit 18W is the toll plaza itself.   I would think that the signs would want to refer to actual ramps.  Now that I think about it, on a closed system, you are thinking as a user that all toll gates are exits in themselves over the ramp verses a coin drop system or "free" road.

The Three Lakes Plaza on the Florida Turnpike is assigned an exit number for fare and collection purposes, but I believe that at Yeehaw Junction the "Next Exit 52 Miles" still refers to the Exit 242 ramp to US 192 & 441 near St. Cloud. 

It is one of those things that can have two meanings.

Sheryl Crowe

Bud8Amp88

http://goo.gl/maps/uYDKz

Small error, but it still made me laugh - I mean, how do you misspell "to"?
I'm a roadgeek...and I have the cramps in my neck to prove it...

roadman65

Quote from: Bud8Amp88 on February 13, 2013, 05:13:16 PM
http://goo.gl/maps/uYDKz

Small error, but it still made me laugh - I mean, how do you misspell "to"?
Maybe they were watching a football game that was tied at the time.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.