News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

Here's some...Canadian signage on I-15 southbound just after Sweetgrass customs on the border, firmly in US territory

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8498795416/in/photostream

Here is one assembly in Orlando on I-4 Exit 81A where US 17 is EAST and US 92 is NORTH.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

corco

I just love my out of jurisdiction speed limit signs, I guess.

Here's a nice Oregon style speed limit reduction sign on US-2 approaching Newport, Washington

okroads

The "BUSINESS" banner should only be above the U.S. 40 shield on this sign:

DSC03239 by okroads, on Flickr

Some_Person

This sign should be PA 248, and is in front of a Wegmans just off both PA 248 and PA 33. It's a nice looking sign, they just messed up on which shield to use :pan:

roadfro

^ And it's an erroneous placement... Stop signs and route shields are not supposed to be placed on the same post like this.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: corco on February 23, 2013, 01:28:26 PM
I just love my out of jurisdiction speed limit signs, I guess.

Here's a nice Oregon style speed limit reduction sign on US-2 approaching Newport, Washington

Washington has a lot of those near the Oregon border as well.  SR-4 and US-101 has a few in Pacific Co.
Take the road less traveled.

corco

I actually kind of like it- those signs seem too cluttered with the full "Speed Limit" text

1995hoo

I don't like that "speed" usage because it's grammatically incorrect. They're saying the speed limit ahead is 45 and to confirm your vehicle's speed to that rule. The actual "speed" is dependent on the individual driver.

Perhaps putting simply "45 mph" would de-clutter it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 24, 2013, 12:56:59 PMI don't like that "speed" usage because it's grammatically incorrect. They're saying the speed limit ahead is 45 and to confirm your vehicle's speed to that rule. The actual "speed" is dependent on the individual driver.

Oregon speed limit signs say just "SPEED" (not "SPEED LIMIT") except on Interstates, and that sign merely indicates a "SPEED 45" condition ahead, so it would be perfectly correct if it were actually erected off-Interstate in Oregon (not in Washington state).  AIUI, the omission of "LIMIT" on off-Interstate speed limit signs in Oregon indicates that the basic speed law applies (in other words, a ticket for speeding in excess of the posted limit can be discharged without a fine if the defendant can meet an almost impossible burden of proof to show that the ticketed speed was not unsafe under the conditions then prevailing).  I believe "SPEED LIMIT" is now used on Interstates in Oregon because speeding is now a strict-liability offense on them.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Central Avenue

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 24, 2013, 12:56:59 PM
I don't like that "speed" usage because it's grammatically incorrect. They're saying the speed limit ahead is 45 and to confirm your vehicle's speed to that rule. The actual "speed" is dependent on the individual driver.

"Conform", not "confirm".

See, I can nitpick silly insignificant things too.

EDIT: Now that I've calmed down a bit, I guess I should elaborate.

Objecting to the sign on the basis that it's not 100% semantically unambiguous strikes me as somewhat silly. Part of designing clear and concise signage is knowing what superfluous elements can be left out without changing the meaning. Realistically, nobody's going to see a sign that says "SPEED 45" and think it literally means the speed of the vehicles on the road is exactly 45. I'm not sure I like that design, honestly, but it serves its intended purpose well enough.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

djsinco

I think everyone gets the idea of the number on a sign which states speed. I enjoy the euro version (also used elsewhere,) which just shows the speed limit inside a red circle.
3 million miles and counting

Brandon

That used to be how they were with the "SPEED ZONE AHEAD" signage.  There'd be a smaller sign underneath stating "45 M.P.H.".  These new diamond signs look cluttered by comparison.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

KEK Inc.

Quote from: djsinco on February 24, 2013, 05:16:24 PM
I think everyone gets the idea of the number on a sign which states speed. I enjoy the euro version (also used elsewhere,) which just shows the speed limit inside a red circle.

Metric speed limit signs in the US are circumscribed with a black circle.  They still have SPEED LIMIT.
Take the road less traveled.

kphoger

And México's variant, which has a number in a red circle, but also includes "˜km/h'; actually, there's usually the word "˜MAXIMA' nearby, either on the sign itself or on a plaque.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 24, 2013, 08:22:09 PM

Metric speed limit signs in the US are circumscribed with a black circle.  They still have SPEED LIMIT.
That was in the 2003 MUTCD.  The 2009 MUTCD removed all mentions of metric signs.

1995hoo

Quote from: Central Avenue on February 24, 2013, 05:05:52 PM

"Conform", not "confirm".

Yup. I was typing on my iPad and autocorrect got me, but that's no excuse for failing to proofread. I blew it there!

With that said, the other comments are correct about its intent being clear, but I view it as similar to the improperly-phrased "REDUCED SPEED AHEAD" versus North Carolina's properly-worded "REDUCE SPEED AHEAD." The first is simply incorrect, regardless of whether its meaning is clear enough.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

Neither is quite correct. You don't have to reduce speed ahead if you're already going slower than the new limit.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Central Avenue

Quote from: NE2 on February 24, 2013, 09:54:51 PM
Neither is quite correct. You don't have to reduce speed ahead if you're already going slower than the new limit.

I guess the only 100% correct phrasing would be "REDUCED SPEED LIMIT AHEAD"

But then we get into the territory of adding superfluous words that don't do anything to help the driver understand the intended message. It'd be like insisting upon "DRIVERS TURNING LEFT MUST YIELD ON GREEN" instead of "LEFT TURN YIELD ON GREEN".
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

djsinco

The speed limit signs that I think must be the dumbest are the ones that say "XX Speed Limit Ends." WTF? Tell us what the current speed limit is, which in the common use of  theses signs are almost always omitted. I do not see these signs (commonly) outside of NY, NJ, and PA.
3 million miles and counting

Central Avenue

Ohio has an annoying tendency to post "RESUME LEGAL SPEED" signs at the end of work zones, which always annoyed me. It's not like freeway speed limits vary a lot within this state, would it be too much to ask to keep a couple "SPEED LIMIT 65" signs on hand to use instead?

(On the semantic side of things, it's also nonsensical if taken literally--during the work zone, the reduced speed limit was the legal speed!)

PurdueBill

Quote from: Central Avenue on February 25, 2013, 03:29:20 AM
Ohio has an annoying tendency to post "RESUME LEGAL SPEED" signs at the end of work zones, which always annoyed me. It's not like freeway speed limits vary a lot within this state, would it be too much to ask to keep a couple "SPEED LIMIT 65" signs on hand to use instead?

(On the semantic side of things, it's also nonsensical if taken literally--during the work zone, the reduced speed limit was the legal speed!)

That probably largely is due to the split limits (which don't exist on 65mph Interstate sections but still do on non-Interstate routes and even on 60mph Interstates); they would have to place a temporary assembly of not just a 65 sign but a 55 truck limit sign.  Considering how spotty correct sign placement can be in construction zones, it isn't surprising that they may not trust contractors to place the two signs correctly.  (And only placing a 65 sign without the proper truck limit sign would have opened up issues for sure...I've actually seen a couple times where if the Truck limit sign is knocked down, the other sign is covered or removed until the whole assembly can be properly shown again--better to have no sign than an incorrect one that appears to show no truck limit.)

Alps

Quote from: djsinco on February 25, 2013, 02:36:07 AM
The speed limit signs that I think must be the dumbest are the ones that say "XX Speed Limit Ends." WTF? Tell us what the current speed limit is, which in the common use of  theses signs are almost always omitted. I do not see these signs (commonly) outside of NY, NJ, and PA.
Leave NJ out of it! We never use that tripe. (I've seen one or two on a county road, total, for the entire state.)

Duke87

This sign is on NY 114:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Central Avenue

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 25, 2013, 02:14:24 PM
Quote from: Central Avenue on February 25, 2013, 03:29:20 AM

That probably largely is due to the split limits (which don't exist on 65mph Interstate sections but still do on non-Interstate routes and even on 60mph Interstates); they would have to place a temporary assembly of not just a 65 sign but a 55 truck limit sign.  Considering how spotty correct sign placement can be in construction zones, it isn't surprising that they may not trust contractors to place the two signs correctly.  (And only placing a 65 sign without the proper truck limit sign would have opened up issues for sure...I've actually seen a couple times where if the Truck limit sign is knocked down, the other sign is covered or removed until the whole assembly can be properly shown again--better to have no sign than an incorrect one that appears to show no truck limit.)

I hadn't considered that before, but it does make sense.

It still seems like the sensible solution would be "then don't have split speed limits, dumbasses", but that would mean less revenue from ticketing people who are driving safely, and we can't have that now can we?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.