News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcellntbuy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on April 21, 2015, 05:39:10 PM
Even though this sign has been up for nearly 10 years, I think it's great that this error lives on. NY Route 57 was decommissioned in 1982.

That is a long, long time ago, the year I started graduate school at Syracuse University.  I remember old NY 57 signs on the north side of Syracuse with the little "NY" at the top of the shield.

machias

Quote from: xcellntbuy on April 21, 2015, 08:51:45 PM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on April 21, 2015, 05:39:10 PM
Even though this sign has been up for nearly 10 years, I think it's great that this error lives on. NY Route 57 was decommissioned in 1982.

That is a long, long time ago, the year I started graduate school at Syracuse University.  I remember old NY 57 signs on the north side of Syracuse with the little "NY" at the top of the shield.

I remember those NY 57 markers as well. I also remember a sign in NYSDOT's version of the LeHay font at the I-81 SB ramp to Onondaga Lake Pkwy/Old Liverpool Rd split that said
(left up arrow) N Y 57 - Liverpool
Old Liverpool Rd (right up arrow)

When NY 57 was decommissioned in 1982 and before the reconstruction of the area (the six lane bridge of I-81 over Park St), a BGS NY 370 shield was slapped over the NY 57 on this LGS.  I wish I had taken a picture.

davewiecking

I think this counts as erroneous. If it had contact info as to how one could get permission to use this state road without trespassing, it would be a bit more helpful. Been in place for some years now. Detour (should one wish to take the sign literally) is at least 15 minutes out of the way, so I routinely trespass on this part of state property.

bzakharin

Quote from: davewiecking on April 25, 2015, 10:20:22 AM
I think this counts as erroneous. If it had contact info as to how one could get permission to use this state road without trespassing, it would be a bit more helpful. Been in place for some years now. Detour (should one wish to take the sign literally) is at least 15 minutes out of the way, so I routinely trespass on this part of state property.

I assume the intention is that the sign itself is state property and "tresspassing" involves doing something to it, like defacing or stealing it. Still, since they don't put it on every assembly, there's got to be a story about why this particular assembly needs it.

Mapmikey

It may be for the plot of land to the right.  This 2008 GMSV shows planting going on...

https://goo.gl/maps/Ojo0P

Current view seems to show that endeavor abandoned or at least overgrown by meadow...

Mapmikey

1995hoo

Vermont Avenue and I Street NW in DC outside the subway station:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

davewiecking

QuoteIt may be for the plot of land to the right.  This 2008 GMSV shows planting going on...

https://goo.gl/maps/Ojo0P

Current view seems to show that endeavor abandoned or at least overgrown by meadow...

Mapmikey

I believe that Mapmikey is partially right. This used to be a normal T intersection, with DE20/26 turning left at a traffic light (as one drove east). DelDOT bought the land that used to hold a gas station (Texaco or Gulf, I don't remember), then rebuilt the intersection so that the main traffic movement continued around a bend. The portion of the lot not used for the realigned road, in various stages of planting, is still DelDOT property, and I imagine that this is the piece of land they (for some reason) don't want anyone trespassing on. But this sign has bugged me since it was installed several years ago.

The rebuilt intersection is rather bizarre-visible to the right of Mapmikey's GSV link. A left turn lane for no reason other than to allow folks to make a U-turn, and a "pocket" to allow such without hitting the curb. Usually the only people that I've seen use that left turn lane are those that are confused into thinking they should use it to continue on DE 20/26 towards the ocean, when in fact that's now the straight-thru movement. The pickup truck occupying this pocket in GSV is the first time I've seen someone use this space apparently for its intended purpose. Or someone just pulled over to make a phone call.

roadman65

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5467/17553314380_7c21dcd15d_z.jpg
Not exactly erroneous, but its conflicting exit numbers are noteworthy.   It is Exit 234 from I-10 E Bound, but the actual ramp to US 90 and Clairborne Avenue are on US 90 Business that technically begins at the split ahead.  So in retrospect it gets US 90's exit number "13B" to be used on the guide sign above it.

To a non road geek it may be considered that though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

Quote from: roadman65 on May 16, 2015, 03:27:13 PM
Not exactly erroneous, but its conflicting exit numbers are noteworthy.   It is Exit 234 from I-10 E Bound, but the actual ramp to US 90 and Clairborne Avenue are on US 90 Business that technically begins at the split ahead.  So in retrospect it gets US 90's exit number "13B" to be used on the guide sign above it.

if anything, i'd call that a design error - for clarification, there should be a pull-through on the far left for US 90 Bus.

roadman65

Quote from: odditude on May 16, 2015, 05:40:51 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 16, 2015, 03:27:13 PM

if anything, i'd call that a design error - for clarification, there should be a pull-through on the far left for US 90 Bus.
Exactly considering that the advanced signs for Exit 234A include the Westbank as well.

Anyway, with large interchange from freeway to freeway gets complicated.  I myself would not use the exit number at all being its the start of something new, it really would not matter if it had no number of its own considering that it is right in the shadow of I-10's Exit 234A.  People could call it that and I would be anyway.  I would not direct someone to Clairborne Avenue via Exit 13B-A, but to get off at left exit 234A and keep to the immediate right.  This distance is only a few hundred feet anyway.

Hopefully if LADOTD ever gets I-49 completed from Lafayette to NOLA, it might change as this would not be Exit 13 on the new interstate's mileposts.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.485083,-96.413624,3a,75y,5.07h,90.27t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLV5D1WEUi0KaERpJFcfweg!2e0!6m1!1e1
US 77 is next exit here in South Sioux City, NE.  Really, considering that US 77 ends ahead at the said next exit, I don't think so.

Hopefully with the new interchange now at US 77's northern terminus, this sign is  since corrected unless Iowa wants Nebraska to do the honors as is sometimes the case where one interchange's signs are in another state or jurisdiction.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 20, 2015, 06:02:39 PM
No photo  :-( but on the PA Turnpike WB after the Midway service plaza, there is a street name overhead that literally reads "Findley street". IIRC, it was at milepost 149.

Unless you are commenting on capitalization, that sign is correct.

See here (this link uses Classic Google Maps)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

SignGeek101

http://goo.gl/maps/BkVj3

Hwy 2 doesn't go to I-95... not at all. Unless you zig zag minor roads there  :-D

Billy F 1988

And Maine is ME, not Me. The lowercase e gives it an ownership type of noun. State abbreviations are all caps at all times the way I see it. These contractors really sure love to rush things through and not double check their work, no matter what agency they work for. There are always silly mistakes like this.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

thenetwork

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on May 21, 2015, 08:40:27 AM
And Maine is ME, not Me. The lowercase e gives it an ownership type of noun. State abbreviations are all caps at all times the way I see it. These contractors really sure love to rush things through and not double check their work, no matter what agency they work for. There are always silly mistakes like this.

ODOT used to use "Pa" on BGSs (there are still some left in the wild). So if your dad lived in Erie, PA, then he always was a destination coming out of the Cleveland area on I-90 or I-271.  :-D

Kacie Jane

Quote from: SignGeek101 on May 21, 2015, 01:27:36 AM
http://goo.gl/maps/BkVj3

Hwy 2 doesn't go to I-95... not at all. Unless you zig zag minor roads there  :-D

It's an odd sign, and I'd definitely put it in the category of erroneous.  But my guess is that it's not actually trying to imply that Hwy 2 goes to I-95.  Rather either lane will take you to 95/Houlton, but only the right lane will take you to 2/Edmunston.  But surely the average motorist wouldn't be likely to interpret it that way, thus erroneous.

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on May 21, 2015, 08:40:27 AM
And Maine is ME, not Me. The lowercase e gives it an ownership type of noun. State abbreviations are all caps at all times the way I see it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_abbreviations

Postal abbreviations are generally only intended to be used for addressing letters, so that the state is easily recognizable, especially now that sorting is pretty much automated.  (Why the state is so important when it's essentially redundant to the zip code, I couldn't tell you.)  In most other contexts, such as writing papers for school, newspaper articles, etc., mixed case is correct.  I don't know what the sign standards are in New Brunswick, but given that the US MUTCD tends towards mixed case and deprecating periods, I'd say "Me" is correct.

kkt

Yes, the postal abbreviations are a pet peeve.  Two letters isn't enough to distinctively identify a state -- is MS Missouri, Minnesota, or Massachusetts?  The postal service set up the 2-letter abbreviations at the same time they introduced Zip codes, to make the city-state-zip line shorter for mass mailers with equipment that would have to be replaced to accomodate 5 more characters.

The Postal Service would prefer the entire name and address to be printed in uppercase only, with no punctuation, for the benefit of its crude optical character recognition equipment.

The Associated Press Stylebook and U.S. Government Printing Office have their own sets of abbreviations.  Both are shown in the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_abbreviations.  Either is better for non-postal use.

jbnv

Quote from: kkt on May 21, 2015, 12:35:27 PM
Two letters isn't enough to distinctively identify a state -- is MS Missouri, Minnesota, or Massachusetts?
Most of us can tell the difference between MS, MO, MN and MA. (MS is Mississippi.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

kkt

Quote from: jbnv on May 21, 2015, 02:54:26 PM
Two letters isn't enough to distinctively identify a state -- is MS Missouri, Minnesota, or Massachusetts?
Most of us can tell the difference between MS, MO, MN and MA. (MS is Mississippi.)

I guess I forgot the sarcasm tags, sorry.

yakra

Quote from: 1 on May 20, 2015, 09:25:37 PM
No photo  :-( but on the PA Turnpike WB after the Midway service plaza, there is a street name overhead that literally reads "Findley street". IIRC, it was at milepost 149.

Dude. I dunno how the smeg you did it. But that link actually links to classic gmaps. And doesn't forward to that new rubbish. Great. Now I need to change my pants.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Roadrunner75

Quote from: yakra on May 30, 2015, 02:17:27 AM
Dude. I dunno how the smeg you did it. But that link actually links to classic gmaps. And doesn't forward to that new rubbish. Great. Now I need to change my pants.
Yeah...tell us how you did that.  I added "&output=classi" to a new Gmaps link but no luck, and I'm sure there's more to it than that.  I need to be able to convert standard links to classic output, even if I have to manually edit the URL.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 30, 2015, 02:41:43 PM
Yeah...tell us how you did that.  I added "&output=classi" to a new Gmaps link but no luck, and I'm sure there's more to it than that.  I need to be able to convert standard links to classic output, even if I have to manually edit the URL.

Adding it to a New Google Maps page will not work. Typing it in while you are on a non-Google page, a blank page, a new tab, or a new window will work.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Kacie Jane

Well, yes, I can tell the difference between them.  And if you give me a list of all 8 states that begin with M, I could  correctly identify their abbreviations (and vice versa).

But if I'm just given one (so I can't use process of elimination), and only given a split second to do it... I will always think Maryland is MA every time.  (I don't know why, but that's always the one that trips me.)

Roadrunner75

Quote from: 1 on May 30, 2015, 02:51:22 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 30, 2015, 02:41:43 PM
Adding it to a New Google Maps page will not work. Typing it in while you are on a non-Google page, a blank page, a new tab, or a new window will work.
Can you elaborate further on this?  Copying the maps link (which normally would open New Maps), adding the '&output=classi' and plugging it in on a blank page doesn't seem to work.

yakra

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 30, 2015, 04:12:00 PM

Well, yes, I can tell the difference between them.  And if you give me a list of all 8 states that begin with M, I could  correctly identify their abbreviations (and vice versa).

But if I'm just given one (so I can't use process of elimination), and only given a split second to do it... I will always think Maryland is MA every time.  (I don't know why, but that's always the one that trips me.)
I got out of a NYC parking ticket once because the ticket had the "MA" state box ticked. For a plate number that quite possibly didn't even exist in MA. There was no "ME" check-box; I forget whether there was an "Other".
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.