News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNYroadgeek

Apparently US 16 got extended eastward to Buffalo at some point: https://goo.gl/maps/nj7VO (Should be NY 16, needless to say).

okroads

New sign on I-40 eastbound in Oklahoma City; Rockwell "Road" is signed instead of Rockwell "Ave".

DSC05128 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

thenetwork

Quote from: okroads on June 28, 2015, 06:10:02 PM
New sign on I-40 eastbound in Oklahoma City; Rockwell "Road" is signed instead of Rockwell "Ave".

DSC05128 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

I will give them a pass if they are planning to pluck the side BGS out of the ground in the very near future, but if not...Why would you put the overhead sign right next to the advance exit sign for Morgan Road? (I know...because it's ODOT  :pan:)  One of those two signs should've been placed 1/4 mile away.

-- A message from the Department of the Redundancy Department...

cjk374

Welcome to beautiful northern.... Bossier City, LA?!?!?!?  :confused:  :hmmm:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130771900@N08/19144747938/in/album-72157655329475165/

Yes...new mileposts as part of a sign replacement project on I-220 around Shreveport & Bossier City, LA.  This is the only erroneous milepost so far.  (This is seen going westbound)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

route17fan

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on June 27, 2015, 02:32:32 PM
Apparently US 16 got extended eastward to Buffalo at some point: https://goo.gl/maps/nj7VO (Should be NY 16, needless to say).

This is just getting ridiculous! NYSDOT is getting really bad at posting NY routes as US routes. Now NY 16 is in the bunch - along with the following:

US shields posted on NY routes  :no:
NY 5 - Chautauqua County, just west of NY 76
NY 10 - Delaware county - a couple of shields posted
NY 16 - see link above
NY 17 - US 17 shields in Orange County (and a few in Sullivan County if memory serves)
NY 17C - a couple US 17C shields observed in Endicott
NY 27 - waay out east on Long Island near Shinnecock (eww)
NY 30A - a US 30A shield southbound just past I-88 Schoharie County
NY 34 - a US 34 shield - I know it's there, I just can't remember where I saw it.
NY 60 - was just a couple in Jamestown - now has moved north to Dunkirk including the northern terminus and the END! assembly and one Thruway BGS eastbound
NY 404 - US 404 shields observed
NY 481 - US 481 shields observed in Oswego

NY shields on US routes  :wow:
NY 9W - couple of them seen near Newburgh
NY 20A - couple of shields observed
NY 219 - on I-86/US 219 at exit 23 eastbound

UPSIDE DOWN NY shields  :eyebrow:
NY 96 - excusable for the reasons mentioned in various other threads - still though, upside down
NY 337 - a TON of them!
NY 391 - one or two of them
NY 990V - various places along the route
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

route17fan

I joke about it, but the way things are going, US 990V just may be posted....in an upside down US shield no less..but may be posted. That scares the living crap out of me (lol)!

steviep24

Quote from: route17fan on July 01, 2015, 04:26:46 PM

This is just getting ridiculous! NYSDOT is getting really bad at posting NY routes as US routes. Now NY 16 is in the bunch - along with the following:

US shields posted on NY routes  :no:
NY 5 - Chautauqua County, just west of NY 76
NY 10 - Delaware county - a couple of shields posted
NY 16 - see link above
NY 17 - US 17 shields in Orange County (and a few in Sullivan County if memory serves)
NY 27 - waay out east on Long Island near Shinnecock (eww)
NY 30A - a US 30A shield southbound just past I-88 Schoharie County
NY 34 - a US 34 shield - I know it's there, I just can't remember where I saw it.
NY 60 - was just a couple in Jamestown - now has moved north to Dunkirk including the northern terminus and the END! assembly and one Thruway BGS eastbound

NY shields on US routes  :wow:
NY 9W - couple of them seen near Newburgh
NY 20A - couple of shields observed
NY 219 - on I-86/US 219 at exit 23 eastbound

UPSIDE DOWN NY shields  :eyebrow:
NY 96 - excusable for the reasons mentioned in various other threads - still though, upside down
NY 337 - a TON of them!
NY 391 - one or two of them
NY 990V - various places along the route
NY 404 in Webster had a few US shields as of a few months ago. Not sure if they're still there.

noelbotevera

Also, the NY 210 bowtie shield. HORRIBLE!  :pan: :poke: :banghead: :ded:
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

route17fan

Oh I forgot about the bowtie / "Budweiser" 210! and the US 404 shields :-D

hotdogPi

Quote from: route17fan on July 01, 2015, 04:26:46 PM

Both of these are in central Ithaca.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

formulanone

Two from Lehigh Valley Airport...one looks a bit older than the other, but mysterious mix-ups just a quarter-mile apart are part of the fun.

SignGeek101

Quote from: formulanone on July 02, 2015, 06:11:57 PM
Two from Lehigh Valley Airport...one looks a bit older than the other, but mysterious mix-ups just a quarter-mile apart are part of the fun.

Yuck on the shape. Reminds me of some US 6 shields that were posted around here a while back.

Big John

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 02, 2015, 06:19:03 PM
Quote from: formulanone on July 02, 2015, 06:11:57 PM

Yuck on the shape. Reminds me of some US 6 shields that were posted around here a while back.
acorn shields  :ded:

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on June 16, 2015, 04:33:23 PM
These two shields are on US 1/460 Business at VA 226. They're for a future construction project (a roundabout or two, I think). In addition to the erroneous US shield the direction is erroneous as VA 226, being an old alignment of US 460, is universally posted East-West.

Slightly OT, but in Chesapeake I noticed that VDOT created a US 13 DETOUR (the sign said use US 13 DETOUR for some reason the way I understood), to remind traffic to stay on I-64 during closures involving the Gilmerton Bridge  replacement project.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WNYroadgeek

Pretty sure the lower NY 36 shield should actually be a NY 63 shield: https://goo.gl/maps/0WSp9

Quote from: route17fan on July 01, 2015, 04:26:46 PMNY 17 - US 17 shields in Orange County (and a few in Sullivan County if memory serves)

I've also seen a US 17 error shield in Elmira just east of NY 14. Will have to try and get a pic when I go down next weekend.

Rothman

I should check my memory, but I believe NYSDOT actually replaced a NY 9 shield on US 9 north as it approached I-90 in Albany.

It seems NYSDOT is putting up erroneous shields at a quicker pace than they are correcting them, however! :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

route17fan

True! We can add a couple of NY 62 shields on US 62 from Gowanda NY south.

SignGeek101

I've passed this sign probably hundreds of times. Never noticed the sign on the right is erroneous until today. It was correct in 2012.

https://goo.gl/maps/fyE6N

EDIT: The top bracket which holds the sign to the post probably failed, making the sign upside down. Still erroneous though.

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 08, 2015, 11:12:23 PM
I've passed this sign probably hundreds of times. Never noticed the sign on the right is erroneous until today. It was correct in 2012.

EDIT: The top bracket which holds the sign to the post probably failed, making the sign upside down. Still erroneous though.

The sign on the right actually looks correct to me, for where it is posted.  The one on the left should be further up, on the next island.

roadfro

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on July 09, 2015, 01:43:16 PM

The sign on the right actually looks correct to me, for where it is posted.  The one on the left should be further up, on the next island.

It's a warning sign for a condition that lies ahead. If you swivel around, you see that the street up to this point has a median separation, so the warning applies to that portion of the street ahead where the median disappears. Thus, the sign in the median is correct and the sign on the right is wrong (or hanging upside down).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: roadfro on July 09, 2015, 09:26:22 PM

It's a warning sign for a condition that lies ahead. If you swivel around, you see that the street up to this point has a median separation, so the warning applies to that portion of the street ahead where the median disappears. Thus, the sign in the median is correct and the sign on the right is wrong (or hanging upside down).

And I would agree with that, had they been posted on the other side of the intersection, rather than prior to it.  To me, it's the same concept of why speed limits are posted after an intersection, and not before it.  That way, the traffic turning onto the road can also be informed of the speed limit.

roadfro

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on July 10, 2015, 02:06:43 PM
Quote from: roadfro on July 09, 2015, 09:26:22 PM

And I would agree with that, had they been posted on the other side of the intersection, rather than prior to it.  To me, it's the same concept of why speed limits are posted after an intersection, and not before it.  That way, the traffic turning onto the road can also be informed of the speed limit.

Except that warning signs of this nature are supposed to be placed a certain distance ahead of the condition. If you were to put this warning on the opposite side of the intersection, at a sufficient distance where drivers would be able to see it after completing their turn, you'd already be at the convergence point.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vtk

If the divided road becomes undivided just for an intersection and then immediately becomes divided again, I think these signs can be left out entirely.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

okroads

DSC05331 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

Photo taken by me on July 11, 2015, in Boise City, OK. U.S. 385 North at U.S. 287.

odditude

Quote from: okroads on July 13, 2015, 02:53:47 PM
DSC05331 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

Photo taken by me on July 11, 2015, in Boise City, OK. U.S. 385 North at U.S. 287.
can you point out the error(s) to us non-locals?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.