News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odditude

Quote from: roadman65 on December 18, 2015, 09:31:38 AM
This one was taken in 08, and any good road geek should know by looking at the sign what is erroneous about it.
guess i'm not a "good road geek" then, since i have no knowledge of Michigan. explanation?

thenetwork

Quote from: odditude on December 18, 2015, 10:14:02 AM
This one was taken in 08, and any good road geek should know by looking at the sign what is erroneous about it.
guess i'm not a "good road geek" then, since i have no knowledge of Michigan. explanation?

US-27 has been de-commed north of Fort Wayne for years.

TEG24601

Yea, there were still a few left on I-69 when I left in Dec. 2008.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

noelbotevera

That's probably a remnant for US 27 running north of Fort Wayne, not an erroneous sign.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

roadman65

I meant that many of us here do know already of the decommissioning, not to say that we all should know about it.  It is pretty explainable why the sign is erroneous to most.

And to you noel, if a state road agency cannot remember to dispatch a crew to remove old road signs or at least update them after several years its not just remnants anymore!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on December 18, 2015, 06:14:45 PM

I meant that many of us here do know already of the decommissioning, not to say that we all should know about it.  It is pretty explainable why the sign is erroneous to most.

I don't think everyone here knows as much as you think. Some of us specialize in different areas. I, for example, am pretty decent with anything related to traffic control, but I'm absolute shit when it comes to route numbers, where they're placed, etc. (For example, it takes me quite a long time to figure out, off the cuff, where US-27 would be in the US -- it's not that I can't eventually figure it out, but it's not knowledge that I would be able to access immediately, let alone whether or not it still exists in some areas).

roadman65

Do not take it so literal!  I am not grading you like some do on here as there are two users on here, no names, but they expect all users on here to know all state line diagrams in all 50 states and know every word from the Federal MUTCD verbatim.

No I was just being figurative when I said it.   

Sheryl Crowe

noelbotevera

So if a DOT fails to upgrade a sign after seven years, and that's not called a remnant, but they leave up a sign dating to an arrangement over 50 years old, and they never replace it, they call it a remnant? Then what is a remnant?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

TheHighwayMan3561

Yeah, I guess I don't consider that "erroneous" since it wasn't an error when the sign was installed.

And honestly I'd pretty much hurt someone to find an old US 61 shield north of the Twin Cities now, of which I believe none remain. :(
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadman65 on December 19, 2015, 12:57:44 PM
Do not take it so literal!  I am not grading you like some do on here as there are two users on here, no names, but they expect all users on here to know all state line diagrams in all 50 states and know every word from the Federal MUTCD verbatim.

If you don't like the way certain users treat others, the answer is not to copy the same behavior and expect us to assume you're joking.

Zeffy

Quote from: jakeroot on December 18, 2015, 08:07:10 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 18, 2015, 06:14:45 PM

I don't think everyone here knows as much as you think. Some of us specialize in different areas. I, for example, am pretty decent with anything related to traffic control, but I'm absolute shit when it comes to route numbers, where they're placed, etc. (For example, it takes me quite a long time to figure out, off the cuff, where US-27 would be in the US -- it's not that I can't eventually figure it out, but it's not knowledge that I would be able to access immediately, let alone whether or not it still exists in some areas).

Same. I also have a terrible memory, so most of the time I have to refer back to either Google Maps or the Internet to figure out where or what something is. Not all of us can can memorize where each highway used to run in addition to where current ones do. As with everyone else here, we're all different in our capabilities. Generalizations don't help.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Big John on November 25, 2015, 12:39:37 AM
^^ US 20 does not enter Alabama.
Because US 20 is actually a mid-Oregon to SoMass (southern Massachusetts) route. It starts nearby Portland, then starts cutting into southern Idaho, barely hits southwest Montana, mainly in the northwest quadrant of the park area, heads through northwest Wyoming, heads down in the middle part of the state where I think it's tripled with US 26 and 14 (correct me if it doesn't), then shoots east through extreme northern Nebraska/extreme southern South Dakota, then cuts through the middle of Iowa, northern Illinois, northern Indiana, northern Ohio, barely skirts northwest Pennsylvania, cuts through middle New York and into SoMass.

I'd like to think this is AL 20 that the sign in Tuscumbia is misrepresenting. It can't be I-20 because that doesn't go into Alabama either.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

bassoon1986

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 20, 2015, 11:33:05 PM
Quote from: Big John on November 25, 2015, 12:39:37 AM
^^ US 20 does not enter Alabama.
I'd like to think this is AL 20 that the sign in Tuscumbia is misrepresenting. It can't be I-20 because that doesn't go into Alabama either.

I-20 enters Alabama, just not northern Alabama in Florence.

Billy F 1988

Over by Cuba, York and Livingston, AL as I understand it where the 4/27/11 tornadoes were.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

roadman65

Quote from: Kacie Jane on December 20, 2015, 11:24:29 PM

If you don't like the way certain users treat others, the answer is not to copy the same behavior and expect us to assume you're joking.
Who says anything about disliking this user?  All I said was originally point out that the picture needed no explanation.  He got all hurt like I was calling him stupid!

Heck Kacie, there are more people on this site more critical than me!  You know who they are, and some of these have no sense of humor at all!  Some if you have bad grammar or say something on social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc) about who you are to your friends and the other user witnesses it there, will always be critical here on this site.

I am not talking about my own experiences either. I have met guys on here outside this site and yes, some start out as good friends during road gatherings, and something happens to make them enemies.  People need to lighten up on here and not take things so hard!  Like one user on here once told another who defended me from one troll, who is nameless, hey if you cannot take snark on here then too bad as that is the fun of this site.

Anyway, I was not trying to be funny either when I said it.  Heck I bet if I explained that photo to people, Alps, NE 2, or some other smartass would say that I was talking too much, as it needed no explanation like one time I was explaining out the streets of Springfield being changed due to I-78.  I did not do it in one sentence as I could have, but I wanted to share my experiences of coming to the conclusion of my discovery.  However one of those said users quoted my long story to prove how smart he is, and then wrote it on how it should have been written.

It is stuff like this is why non road geeks think we are all weird like many of us complain in various posts at times on how mistreated our hobby is by other people as we all fight and argue over stupid crap!  We all have the same love of roads but many of us flame out at each other over the most dumbest stuff!

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

When the "No Turns" sign is directly in front of you, you probably have to turn.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadman65 on December 20, 2015, 11:56:30 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on December 20, 2015, 11:24:29 PM

Who says anything about disliking this user?  All I said was originally point out that the picture needed no explanation.  He got all hurt like I was calling him stupid!

I don't want to drag this on, so in not going to respond to your other paragraphs, and just try to further explain what I meant.

If you don't think the picture needs any explanation, then fine, don't explain it.  Wouldn't be the first time someone's done that on this thread, and if someone asks, we can politely explain later.

But when you say "any good road geek should know" on a board where we all come to have fun as road geeks and share our knowledge, then that's as good as calling him stupid.

"I am not grading you like some do on here"... that's actually exactly what you did with that sentence.  I'm sorry if we took it too literally, but I really don't see how else we were supposed to take it.

roadman65

Oh no, I did not or did not mean to sound like it.  Its okay. 

Sheryl Crowe

CapeCodder

formulanone

US Route 522, with a Keystone...

This should probably have a Florida State Road 818 sign, since that's where I'm facing, and there's no I-95 west.

JCinSummerfield

This should probably have a Florida State Road 818 sign, since that's where I'm facing, and there's no I-95 west.

[/quote]

Probably should also have a "TO" banner for I-95.

Kacie Jane

You know what's extra weird?  Google Street View shows the same error, but with the shields in a different order...
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.063291,-80.1416079,3a,15y,317.58h,85.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBWmmLPYCr2s8CgqeZsK0Lg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 20, 2015, 11:33:05 PM
It is supposed to be AL 20. Also, I think this is the only sign at this intersection with this error.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

dcbjms

A little bit of Australia somehow ended up near a gentlemen's club in Providence, RI.
https://goo.gl/maps/6Pg5pv9nj7m

jwolfer

Saw this today. Had to drive out of Clay County Florida to buy beer.. Can't sell alcohol on Jesus' birthday, but seeing this made it worthwhile... I don't get how this happens.. US 17 is all N-S in Florida and I think everywhere it goes, there is no multiplex.. The road is not diagonal

Fixed link

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.