News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on April 06, 2013, 02:25:23 PM
I'm usually pretty ho-hum about the myriad wrong-shield-shape errors.  But.....what's the "most off" of that type of error?  For example, a county road being signed as an Interstate, or vice versa.  State routes and US routes are so similar that I don't find an error between the two all that surprising.  But what are the ones that are really wrong?

These are gone now, but they're among the worst I've seen (photo from AARoads.com):

There used to be a BGS on the E Street Expressway that had a full-color I-29 shield (should have been a US-29 shield).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Although white rectangles are used for primary routes at intersections involving that primary route and a secondary route, here is a white rectangle for an interstate in Virginia, not at an interchange:

There are several examples of errors by two levels in Virginia:

or if you like, interstate shield on a virginia state cutout shield (there are a few of these in Covington)

here is a 2-level error with SR 775:

There were several SR 220 shields in Rocky Mount for another 2-level area:

Finally, an I-7 Bus shield

Mapmikey

WillWeaverRVA

Along those same lines:

Also, this is actually not VA 407. VA 407 ends at VA 168 about half a mile before this assembly.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

djsinco

Would it be presumptuous to state that OH and VA seem to have a disproportionate number of sign errors?
3 million miles and counting

hobsini2

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 06, 2013, 02:46:56 PM
I'm usually pretty ho-hum about the myriad wrong-shield-shape errors.  But.....what's the "most off" of that type of error?  For example, a county road being signed as an Interstate, or vice versa.  State routes and US routes are so similar that I don't find an error between the two all that surprising.  But what are the ones that are really wrong?

These are gone now, but they're among the worst I've seen (photo from AARoads.com):

There used to be a BGS on the E Street Expressway that had a full-color I-29 shield (should have been a US-29 shield).
I actually like that shield design for Incomplete/Proposed Interstate Corridors.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 06, 2013, 05:11:59 PMFinally, an I-7 Bus shield

Does VA even have any Business interstates in where somebody mistakenly selected the wrong shield (& color) at VDOT's garage? 

If the erroneous shield was the standard red/white/blue Interstate shield; I could see some plausibility for error; but this one's way off.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

similar to those I-1 and I-50 "DC-US" shields, here is a US-shaped red, white and blue I-55 in Litchfield IL.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 08, 2013, 03:58:41 PM
Does VA even have any Business interstates in where somebody mistakenly selected the wrong shield (& color) at VDOT's garage? 

If the erroneous shield was the standard red/white/blue Interstate shield; I could see some plausibility for error; but this one's way off.

No. I grew up in Virginia and never saw a green Interstate shield (other than on maps) until the summer before I went off to college.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 08, 2013, 05:23:48 PM

No. I grew up in Virginia and never saw a green Interstate shield (other than on maps) until the summer before I went off to college.

I still don't think I've ever actually seen a single one in person. Nowhere in the notheast really uses business interstates.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 06, 2013, 05:11:59 PMFinally, an I-7 Bus shield

You have to go to North Carolina for the nearest green interstates (interstate business loops).
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alps

Interstate as a fractional route?

PHLBOS

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 08, 2013, 06:33:24 PMYou have to go to North Carolina for the nearest green interstates (interstate business loops).
What about Business Loop(?) 83 in York, PA?

IIRC, many years ago, I did a Business Loop 95 shield on a BGS along I-95 near New London, CT.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 08, 2013, 07:18:55 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 08, 2013, 06:33:24 PMYou have to go to North Carolina for the nearest green interstates (interstate business loops).
What about Business Loop(?) 83 in York, PA?
Should be a Spur because it ends at US 30 and becomes PA 181, but it's really just signed Business 83 with hideous oversized-numeral shields.

OracleUsr

Plus, NC is closer to VA than PA.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Mapmikey

It is 3 times closer from the I-7 Bus to York PA than to Greensboro, NC...

Mapmikey

kphoger

Quote from: Steve on April 08, 2013, 06:55:17 PM

Interstate as a fractional route?

What are the details on that one?  Because that's pretty egregious.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2013, 11:43:06 AM

What are the details on that one?  Because that's pretty egregious.

I'll bet I-70 is inventoried internally by WVDOT as "70/1".  the contractor got a project to redo a segment of "state highway 70/1" and didn't think too carefully about it.

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

...or is it state highway 70/I?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on April 09, 2013, 05:35:03 PM

kinda looks like it, doesn't it?  for some reason I seem to remember a 123/III fractional route somewhere in WV (for some route number, not necessarily 123) - am I imagining that?

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 09, 2013, 06:06:16 PM
…or is it state highway 70/I?

kinda looks like it, doesn't it?  for some reason I seem to remember a 123/III fractional route somewhere in WV (for some route number, not necessarily 123) - am I imagining that?

You have weird dreams.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Correct, the contractor saw I-70 and somehow turned that into a fractional route, complete with "I" instead of "1".

Central Avenue

Quote from: Steve on April 09, 2013, 10:59:07 PM
Correct, the contractor saw I-70 and somehow turned that into a fractional route, complete with "I" instead of "1".

That's...actually kinda hilarious.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Michael

I found this blade sign for NY 321 on Forward Road in Camillus last night.  Forward Road used to be NY 321 until the late 1980s, so this sign may be left over from then.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 08, 2013, 09:01:57 PM
It is 3 times closer from the I-7 Bus to York PA than to Greensboro, NC...

Mapmikey

I always forget about that I-83 BUS in York...
Will Weaver

Some_Person

This sign in Easton, PA on PA 611 North has the wrong shield in place for US 22. Also, take note of the sign at the bottom left, those 'keep left' signs are pretty rare to see pretty much anywhere on a main road in the US.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.