News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Some_Person on April 13, 2013, 10:49:56 PM
This sign in Easton, PA on PA 611 North has the wrong shield in place for US 22. Also, take note of the sign at the bottom left, those 'keep left' signs are pretty rare to see pretty much anywhere on a main road in the US.

[LARGE PHOTO]
So that's a brand-new condition; 611 up until at least last year was undivided through Easton. It's so new that while it shows up on Google aerial, it hasn't made it to the Street View.

cpzilliacus

Va. 120 (North Glebe Road) northbound approaching Quebec Street.

A new bolt will probably fix this:

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Still Va. 120 (North Glebe Road) northbound at Va. 237 (Fairfax Drive).

Some very traditional Virginia shields, but a non-traditional shape (at least in North America) for the adjacent pedestrian crosswalk sign:

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

Forget the shields, look at that S2000!
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JMoses24

I'd argue that the second sign cpzillacus posted, while non-traditional, is not erroneous because it conveys that there is a crosswalk at that location.

The first is in a temporary erroneous state by nature of being upside down. After all, I don't think the world has turned upside down yet.

KEVIN_224

A friend of mine in Bristol, CT (a.k.a. ESPN Land) was in and around Newark, NJ the other day and made these comments to me:

BTW, I have no idea why I just remembered this, but I was heading from Newark over to Jersey City via NJ 7 on Wednesday, and there was construction afoot. But the sign warning me of a possible detour was a shield for *US* 7, which doesn't even go into New Jersey. How'd they get one? Wasn't expecting it, so didn't have the camera ready, but maybe one of your Road Geeks can check it out. This was at the end of EB 280, but instead of getting on the Turnpike, you take the last exit onto EB 508 for like a mile before it meets up with 7.

theline

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 14, 2013, 11:42:30 AM
Va. 120 (North Glebe Road) northbound approaching Quebec Street.

A new bolt will probably fix this:

Cirque du Soleil crossing?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: JMoses24 on April 14, 2013, 01:21:30 PM
The first is in a temporary erroneous state by nature of being upside down. After all, I don't think the world has turned upside down yet.

VDOT's maintenance forces will get around to correcting the sign at some point (I did report it to them).

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 15, 2013, 12:54:39 PM

VDOT's maintenance forces will get around to correcting the sign at some point (I did report it to them).

Does VDOT maintain that sign? That location is in Arlington County, which is one of the counties that maintains its own roads, although I know VDOT still maintains Interstates and "major primary roads" there. I don't know how they determine what constitutes a "major primary road" (aside from Route 50 surely qualifying).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 15, 2013, 01:09:35 PM

Does VDOT maintain that sign? That location is in Arlington County, which is one of the counties that maintains its own roads, although I know VDOT still maintains Interstates and "major primary roads" there. I don't know how they determine what constitutes a "major primary road" (aside from Route 50 surely qualifying).

VDOT maintains primary routes in Arlington County, yes. "Major primary road" = a primary route. The same is true in Henrico County.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 15, 2013, 01:09:35 PM

As Will said, VDOT maintains anything that is numbered in Arlington County, with the exception of "secret" Va. 90005, the George Washington Memorial Parkway, which is maintained by the National Park Services.

Only "funny" variation of that is Va. 244 (Columbia Pike), which I believe has been decommissioned in Arlington County in preparation for the Columbia Pike Streetcar (which was recently denied discretionary New Starts program funding by the Federal Transit Administration).  The 244 shields along the Pike in Arlington County have been removed, though there are several of them at crossing state roads (the 2011 VDOT traffic count book implies that it is no longer on the state primary network in Arlington County, though it still is in Fairfax County).

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 15, 2013, 07:39:15 PM
Only "funny" variation of that is Va. 244 (Columbia Pike), which I believe has been decommissioned in Arlington County in preparation for the Columbia Pike Streetcar (which was recently denied discretionary New Starts program funding by the Federal Transit Administration).  The 244 shields along the Pike in Arlington County have been removed, though there are several of them at crossing state roads (the 2011 VDOT traffic count book implies that it is no longer on the state primary network in Arlington County, though it still is in Fairfax County).

0.37 miles of VA 244 at VA 27 are still maintained by VDOT, according to the traffic log.

I wonder if this sign is still up:

Mapmikey

1995hoo

Where was that sign? I have Caps tickets tonight and I drive to games (picking up my wife en route), so I could look for it if it isn't too far out of the way and if I hit the road early enough.

Mapmikey

GMSV has been updated in that neighborhood from 4 years ago and it is still shown as standing as of June 2012.

It is on S. Highland St just east of VA 120.  This was part of a neighborhood clover at some point.

Mapmikey

agentsteel53

that VA 244 looks to be old as dust.  I'm not sure what the relative history is between cutouts and white squares, but I know the 1964 Virginia MUTCD specified cutouts, and I've seen 50s photos of white squares.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mapmikey

I don't know a definitive answer to your question but I do know that there were numerous white VA 44 shields which would've all been placed in very late 60s.

Then of course there is Roanoke who replaced all their cutouts with mini white shields in the early 90s.  The Alexandra 400 series routes from early 80s started out as white shields.

Mapmikey

agentsteel53

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 16, 2013, 01:15:44 PM
I don't know a definitive answer to your question but I do know that there were numerous white VA 44 shields which would've all been placed in very late 60s.

Then of course there is Roanoke who replaced all their cutouts with mini white shields in the early 90s.  The Alexandra 400 series routes from early 80s started out as white shields.

Mapmikey

indeed.  I bet that VA played fast and loose with the standards - as they do now, placing 16" black squares where 24" shields would rightly belong.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 16, 2013, 12:17:26 PM
GMSV has been updated in that neighborhood from 4 years ago and it is still shown as standing as of June 2012.

It is on S. Highland St just east of VA 120.  This was part of a neighborhood clover at some point.

Mapmikey

Thanks. Just west of the Cinema 'n Drafthouse, then. That's not far out of the way at all if I leave 15 or 20 minutes earlier. I'll try to swing through there this afternoon to see if it's there unless Brown's Hardware in Falls Church says they have the part I'm trying to find when I call them in a few minutes (in which case I won't be going anywhere near Columbia Pike).

Mapmikey

While check GMSV to see status of other cutouts, I wandered out SR 610 to see if any other white 610 shields existed in Big Stone Gap.

I found this, from Aug 2009.  Looks like a circle imposed onto an upside down state shield...

http://goo.gl/maps/Y6dzQ

Mapmikey

1995hoo

The Highland Street sign was still there about 20 minutes ago:

There are some fairly old black-background 244 shields on southbound Glebe Road just north of Columbia Pike (prior to the shopping center where Brenner's Bakery used to be). I knew those were there previously but did not get a picture today because I was driving northbound and confirmed their continued existence by checking my mirrors.

djsinco

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 16, 2013, 03:47:54 PM
While check GMSV to see status of other cutouts, I wandered out SR 610 to see if any other white 610 shields existed in Big Stone Gap.

I found this, from Aug 2009.  Looks like a circle imposed onto an upside down state shield...

http://goo.gl/maps/Y6dzQ

Mapmikey

Looks like a big fried egg, or a UT shield with bee colony collapse disorder :no:
3 million miles and counting

mefailenglish

A Palm Beach County special:

First, it's supposed to be US 98.  Second, the fastest way to US 98 is actually straight ahead about 1500 feet.

xcellntbuy

Despite the "FL 98" sign being incorrect, it is actually a better depiction of the State's outline.  There are many Florida outlines that look sloppy or just plain sad.

Brandon

^^ Yeah, it's a nice looking shield, but it's placement and the route it is referring to is wrong.  A case of precision lacking accuracy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Duke87

Ready for a bunch of Hudson Valley/Catskill fail? Okay, here goes...

One of MANY NY 209 shields on US 209 between Port Jervis and Ellenville:

State routes all promoted to US:

More state routes all promoted to US:

The opposite problem:

and finally...

AAAAAGH! :ded:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.