News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurdueBill

Quote from: Duke87 on April 29, 2013, 10:36:40 PM
State routes all promoted to US:

Send it to Cincinnati!!!

vtk

Yeah, that particular assembly doesn't look wrong to me as I drive on US 42 and US 52 frequently – and US 42 is N/S in Ohio to boot!
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ap70621

Knowing New York, it's probably just another version of their state shield. They have like 40.  :rolleyes:

amroad17

I don't recall seeing all those trees along Central Parkway.  I'll have to check soon to see if Cincinnati has razed all those buildings that used to be there. :D

There are some specific regions in New York State that have become very , shall I say, crappy at signage in the last few years.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Takumi

Should be VA 170. I'm not sure why Norfolk even has secondary shield stock.

This VA 403 reassurance shield is actually north of where VA 403 ends.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Ready for a bunch of Hudson Valley/Catskill fail? Okay, here goes...

One of MANY NY 209 shields on US 209 between Port Jervis and Ellenville:

No joke. I drove most all of 209 while in the area for the Monticello meet and saw a zillion 209 goofs.

State routes all promoted to US:

Where is that? I drove on NY 52 and NY 42 from Ellenville to Monticello, but somehow missed those.

More state routes all promoted to US:

A great find from the meet tour!

and finally...

AAAAAGH! :ded:

If they change the I-17 to I-86, they'd solve part of the problem.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Takumi on April 30, 2013, 10:33:31 AM
Should be VA 170. I'm not sure why Norfolk even has secondary shield stock.
This VA 403 reassurance shield is actually north of where VA 403 ends.

The VA 403 shield has been there at least 22 years.

My guess is Norfolk borrowed the circles from Virginia Beach :)
Actually, since Norfolk has a bunch of shields that are not correct shields in any part of Virginia, I'm guessing they have a contractor come up with shields whenever they want some and there is no "stock"

Mapmikey

kj3400

http://goo.gl/maps/xBn2c

I'm not sure what to make of this now, but at first I was like, 'No shit, MdDOT.'
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Takumi

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 30, 2013, 12:01:20 PM
Actually, since Norfolk has a bunch of shields that are not correct shields in any part of Virginia, I'm guessing they have a contractor come up with shields whenever they want some and there is no "stock"
True. They've been consistent with that bizarre half-circle style and compressed Clearview in the past few years. I saw a VA 460 shield in that style and a set of US 168 trailblazers with the same font, but didn't get s chance to photograph either. For how many miles I drove Saturday (about 300) I didn't take many pictures...I think I had 125 or so and about 20 of them didn't turn out well. I was enjoying the drive more than anything else.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on April 30, 2013, 10:53:49 AM
Where is that? I drove on NY 52 and NY 42 from Ellenville to Monticello, but somehow missed those.

Driving that route those shields would have been to your left, facing the side road. This assembly is facing NY 42 southbound at the northern T-intersection with NY 52 (here).

Quotehttp://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9616/img0463nmi.jpg

Did you guys end up over there? I peeled off from the tour before the end. This photo is from a different trip on a different day.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Quote from: Duke87 on May 01, 2013, 09:43:18 PM
Quotehttp://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9616/img0463nmi.jpg

Did you guys end up over there? I peeled off from the tour before the end. This photo is from a different trip on a different day.

Yeah, we went into town (Callicoon?) to see the bridge across the Delaware River and we all saw the signs up at the top of the hill. Adam assured us we'd be going by there to get photos of the sign goofs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8702844326/in/photostream
One near Universal Studios in Orlando.  The pull through sign states that FL 435 turns left into Universal Studios, but does not!  I even brought it to FDOTs attention and they said the sign says "The sign simply states that FL 435 is straight and Universal Studios is the next left."

I do not know about you all, but this sign is worded  to me that both the route and destination are the next left.

Also in the same location you have another error with this next one.
You have this safety issue about only the one lane exiting exclusively for I-4 EAST, but the two right lanes are both exclusively for the upcoming exit.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8701722683/in/photostream/
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Central Avenue

If there were a line separating "435 NORTH" from the "Universal Studios" portion of the sign, I might believe it was intended as a combination pull-through and exit sign. Those are annoying, too, but I've at least seen them done before.

As it is, though, yeah, it pretty clearly implies that FL 435 is the next left.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

agentsteel53

that 670/23 sign to me is just confusing.  upon first glance I'd think that 670/23 are multiplexed together as the mainline, and Fourth Street is an exit.  but then I'd realize "wait, crossbar" and wonder why "670 west" is being used as an exit tab.  only after that would I potentially parse it correctly. 

I've heard that in certain highly advanced societies, they have the technological know-how to put that information on two separate signs.  it may involve lasers.  or elves.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kj3400

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 02, 2013, 04:29:27 PM
that 670/23 sign to me is just confusing.  upon first glance I'd think that 670/23 are multiplexed together as the mainline, and Fourth Street is an exit.  but then I'd realize "wait, crossbar" and wonder why "670 west" is being used as an exit tab.  only after that would I potentially parse it correctly. 

I've heard that in certain highly advanced societies, they have the technological know-how to put that information on two separate signs.  it may involve lasers.  or elves.
Or Alanland sorcery.

[relevant]
I've never seen that in my travels though.
[/relevant]

Central Avenue

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 02, 2013, 04:29:27 PM

I think the problem is that, at least with the way the lanes were laid out at the time, having them as two separate signs could be misleading. Fourth Street is a right-hand exit, so its sign would have to be placed to the right of the I-670 pull-through. But having the I-670 pull-through at the far left would imply that the leftmost lane is a through lane, which it's not--there's a left-hand exit coming up very shortly.

Not that that makes the combined sign any less confusing, but...honestly, I have no idea what the ideal way to sign something like this would be.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

kj3400

Put up a diagrammatic sign maybe?

Rover_0

Gee, I always had an inkling that I-17 would be extened...BUT TO NEW YORK STATE?!  :pan:
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

agentsteel53

Quote from: Central Avenue on May 02, 2013, 04:48:04 PMhonestly, I have no idea what the ideal way to sign something like this would be.

omit the pull-through?  use an independent-mount reassurance marker and banner pair if needed?

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 02, 2013, 05:33:27 PM
Quote from: Central Avenue on May 02, 2013, 04:48:04 PMhonestly, I have no idea what the ideal way to sign something like this would be.

omit the pull-through?  use an independent-mount reassurance marker and banner pair if needed?

Use four signs: advance signage for left exit, pull through, US 23, I-71.

An arrow per lane diagrammatic involving all four of those things might also work.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Duke87 on May 02, 2013, 06:10:45 PM
Use four signs: advance signage for left exit, pull through, US 23, I-71.

An arrow per lane diagrammatic involving all four of those things might also work.

four signs, I think, would be a bit too confusing.  how absolutely necessary is the pull-through?  it seems like I am undervaluing it, while the prevailing opinion here is that it is a good idea. 

I'd go with either two or three signs: a 71, a 23, and maybe one for the left exit.

as for the arrow-per-lane: I personally think they work well for two branches being depicted, but for three or four I feel like they attempt to impart too much information in too little time.

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

The left exit US 23 SOUTH, Third St, Convention Center. It's a lane-drop-with-option-lane, and I'm surprised there isn't a sign for it here.

ODOT has a well-established pattern of using pull-throughs at major system interchanges, and omitting it at this particular location could certainly cause some confusion about which way to continue on I-670.  This on a freeway leading directly away from the airport, too.

Were I designing the signs, I'd be tempted to break I-71 onto two panels, for north and south, making a total of 5 panels.  (The ramp to I-71 south also provides access to Cleveland Ave, ostensibly I-670's exit 4C, via Jack Gibbs Blvd.  Seems there should at least be an auxilliary guide sign for this somewhere on the mainline.)   But then, to save space, I'd move Fourth St into a "tab" above the 670 pull-through.  Remembering it also needs a US 23 shield, I'd then make something like an upsidedown version of the pictured combo sign, adding down arrows to the pull-thru panel which is now on the bottom.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Roadsguy

On PA 419 NB, near Rehrersburg (rare-ers-burg), there are two of those little control city/town signs for local roads with the same typo: Rehersburg. I'm guessing someone at the sign shop misheard it without the second R and nobody double-checked it. I'd think it's just any old typo if it wasn't on two separate signs.

They're also Clearview.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

djsinco

Quote from: roadman65 on May 02, 2013, 02:33:17 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8702844326/in/photostream
One near Universal Studios in Orlando.  The pull through sign states that FL 435 turns left into Universal Studios, but does not!  I even brought it to FDOTs attention and they said the sign says "The sign simply states that FL 435 is straight and Universal Studios is the next left."

Sure seems to be enough room on the gantry for correct signage. With all of the foreign drivers near the theme parks, it should be a high priority to have very clear signage.
3 million miles and counting

kurumi

Quote from: Rover_0 on May 02, 2013, 04:59:22 PM

Gee, I always had an inkling that I-17 would be extened...BUT TO NEW YORK STATE?!  :pan:

Change the I-84 to NY 84 and you'd have a trifecta of wrongness. Has there existed a sign that has the state, US and Interstate marker wrong?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.