News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Here is an erroneous JCT sign along the US 1 Business & FL A1A overlap in St. Augustine as this is the first reasurrence shield of the two route concurrency.

A junction Business US 1 shield without the JCT tab (maybe the other one erroneous was the one that was supposed to be here) as this was on the temporary span of the Bridge of Lions during the actual structures overhaul and in the distance you can see the erroneous US 1 shields as well. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

DSS5

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 13, 2013, 02:59:08 PM
yes, but why not stripe the new pedestrian lane to the right, and thus implicitly move the parking in by a few feet.

honestly, the road utilization is gonna be the same.  so I'd rather have careless drivers hitting parked cars than pedestrians.

It's not that much of a safety problem. There's only ever one or two ASU maintenance trucks parked in front of that building. Anyone else will be towed so fast their head'll spin. But still, I see your point.

hbelkins

Years ago, I spotted an error Virginia primary 607 route marker in Clintwood. I took a picture of it from a distance as I was traveling on VA 83.

I drove through there again today and got a picture.

Something looked odd. Check out the closeup:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2013, 10:32:05 PM
Years ago, I spotted an error Virginia primary 607 route marker in Clintwood. I took a picture of it from a distance as I was traveling on VA 83.

I drove through there again today and got a picture.

How much more would it have cost to make the 607 on a square and take the old sign off? Really.

hbelkins

There's something similar in the same general area of the state on northbound US 23 near the VA 65 intersection. I have a photo somewhere, but no closeup.

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2007_October/Pages/436.html

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on September 17, 2013, 11:22:50 AM
There's something similar in the same general area of the state on northbound US 23 near the VA 65 intersection. I have a photo somewhere, but no closeup.

Now that is a bizarre mutant.  It looks like a boring circle shield is trying to give birth to a US shield.  It almost deserves a new thread, "Mutant Signage".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Looks like squared Mickey Mouse ears.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 07, 2013, 10:56:11 PM
Westbound Va. 236 (Main Street) west of downtown Fairfax (but within the corporate limits of the City of  Fairfax):

Passed this spot today while walking from a free parking garage to the courthouse and observed that it has been replaced with the proper shield. There's still another error 236 circle in Fairfax City on northbound Route 123 somewhat to the south of the courthouse, however.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: Brandon on September 17, 2013, 12:04:58 PM

Now that is a bizarre mutant.  It looks like a boring circle shield is trying to give birth to a US shield.  It almost deserves a new thread, "Mutant Signage".

It looks like it's growing whiskers, too!

Alps

Y'all... this is a circle blank posted over a US highway shield... not a mutant.

roadman65

This one makes me think of one thing: Mickey Mouse.

Sheryl Crowe

PurdueBill

Seen last week on I-70 approaching OH 72:

hbelkins

What's wrong with this picture?

(Taken by a co-worker on a recent trip somewhere between western Kentucky and California).

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2013, 10:48:08 PM
What's wrong with this picture?

(Taken by a co-worker on a recent trip somewhere between western Kentucky and California).

It's not a duck.
It's not ducking.
It doesn't go well with duck, unlike duck sauce.
It doesn't rhyme with duck.
It's not a place named "Duck Crossing".
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Big John

^^ You have to duck while the horse is crossing?

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Aerobird

Fresh from Florida, we bring you another installment of Fun With Contractors!

Today's category is: what happens when the contractor's contract says to repave "State Road 30", the maintiance designation for US-98? Why, they put up State Road 30 signs, of course.

Looking west from Franklin County Road 379 just west of Carabelle:

And yep, there's a matched pair, 'cause heerrrrrrrrrrrrrre's East.

Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Zeffy

Even if they incorrectly thought that US-98 was FL-30, you still can't hate those signs they put up - at least they didn't come out looking like the rear-end of a goat. Contractors can make signs very nice looking... or they can make a sign that makes you want to tear your eyes out.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Annapolis,+MD&hl=en&ll=38.984549,-76.53501&spn=0.007456,0.017896&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=60.826733,146.601563&oq=anna&t=h&hnear=Annapolis,+Anne+Arundel,+Maryland&z=17&layer=c&cbll=38.98465,-76.534972&panoid=K0aqPMtYCphf7J2mn7L86w&cbp=12,25.17,,1,0

The TO MD 2 NORTH shield should not have the "TO" banner as the ramp leading to US 50 EB is also MD 2 North as well.  This  is where MD 2 joins US 50 (and US 301) for a brief concurrency around Annapolis at what once was a semi directional interchange before a local road was created north of this interchange.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: Aerobird on September 23, 2013, 03:49:53 AM

Today's category is: what happens when the contractor's contract says to repave "State Road 30", the maintiance designation for US-98? Why, they put up State Road 30 signs, of course.
Why is there not someone from FDOT designing or checking designs for signing plans? Why is a contractor ever putting up their own signs? Did they just decide to spend money for the sake of art?

formulanone

Quote from: Steve on September 23, 2013, 11:17:45 PM

Why is there not someone from FDOT designing or checking designs for signing plans? Why is a contractor ever putting up their own signs? Did they just decide to spend money for the sake of art?

Because Florida.

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on September 23, 2013, 11:17:45 PMWhy is a contractor ever putting up their own signs? Did they just decide to spend money for the sake of art?

In Kentucky, sometimes the contractors are responsible for signage on a new road, sometimes they aren't. I don't know why they do it that way. A new portion of KY 15 opened in Breathitt County a couple of weeks ago and the state put up the signs. Three counties south, in Letcher County, contractors installed the signage when an intersection was reconfigured.

Aerobird

Quote from: Steve on September 23, 2013, 11:17:45 PM

Apparently the signs are just lumped into the contract. And this sort of goof is downright common around the capitol whenever there's a resurfacing/resignage job; FL-30, FL-369 and FL-375 all make "cameo appearances" where somebody read the work order and decided the number on the contract needed to be the number on the signs.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

corco

I was in beauti...hahahahahaha can't do it Twin Falls Idaho the other day and drove the new US 93 Twinkie Town bypass. They got the memo that all non-interstates need exit tabs at interchanges, but missed the part on those exit tabs needing to have numbers

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.