News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Keene,+NH&hl=en&ll=43.641867,-72.341859&spn=0.005978,0.015278&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=7.407541,15.644531&oq=keene+nh&t=h&hnear=Keene,+Cheshire,+New+Hampshire&z=16&layer=c&cbll=43.641668,-72.341521&panoid=8GKUZCwqjFBdojOSDfD7xw&cbp=12,135,,0,-22.5

The error is in the VT 12A shield on the I-89 pull through as it is supposed to be NH 12A.  Also, the "White River" should be White River Junction on the I-91 exit.  Then again the latter could be argued as a sort of abbreviation tactic such as "Salt Lake" for Salt Lake City on some Utah highway signs.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JMoses24

Ohio 127 shield where it should be US 127. Eastbound 3rd Street at the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, Cincinnati, Ohio. Taken just this morning.

hbelkins

Yeah, I noticed that and got a picture back in the spring when I was there. There are a few more errors, and a bunch of older signage, along the designated 27/127 truck route.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on October 07, 2013, 01:58:59 PM
Yeah, I noticed that and got a picture back in the spring when I was there. There are a few more errors, and a bunch of older signage, along the designated 27/127 truck route.

This one's right in downtown. I rarely get a chance to get a photo of an error shield. I'm usually passing by in a vehicle -- by the time it registers there was a mistake, I can't go back. Not today... I was leisurely strolling down there and saw it.

rickmastfan67

NE2

Much less of a failure than Flordia, since both are common ways of spelling the real-world name.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

What's more of a fail is that the website has all its articles in subdirectories of /news/news . They're not the only ones, though. I recently saw an article at palmbeachnews.com/news/news/breaking-news/full-article-headline-with-way-too-many-words-for-a-headline .
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

the real fail is patching a temporary sign that will be up for about a month.  honestly, who doesn't know that it's approximately correct?  just leave it be and save some money.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jeffandnicole

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 08, 2013, 02:11:05 AM
A new fail in misspelling in FL:
Mathews Bridge construction signs misspelled

QuoteWorkers along the Mathews Bridge were busy changing signs Saturday that were part of a massive mistake.

How massive is the misspelling?  OK, they used an extra T. It's not like the error is sending dozens of people on a one-way road to Cuba. 

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mergingtraffic

US-8? I think not.  CT-8. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

formulanone

Agoura Hills, spelled "Aquora" and "Aqoura"...misspelled in both directions on US 101.

Northbound:

Aqoura Hills by formulanone, on Flickr

Southbound:

Aquora Hills by formulanone, on Flickr

X-(

agentsteel53

and in one case, the q is an upside down b.

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 09, 2013, 05:49:00 PM
and in one case, the q is an upside down b.

If it were, I'm not sure how you'd tell.  But one of those is either a backwards p or an inverted d.

formulanone

Maybe I'm really nitpicking, but the "H" in the word Hills looks slightly different from one sign to another; the crossbeam appears a stitch higher on the first image, and lower on the second one. It's almost as if the H was inverted on the bottom sign. Or perhaps it's the two slightly different weights of the same typeface.

agentsteel53

oops, I forgot which way the diagonals go.

in any case: the first photo (with "speed enforced by radar" secondary sign) shows a "q" but with the tail nonstandard short. 

the second shows a backwards "p" or an upside down "d".

the roadgeek implementation of EM has some very subtle differences between q and b, and between p and d.  on one half of each pair, the tail is just a tiny bit shorter.  I'd be prepared to ascribe that to rendering error more than any deliberate choice.

the first photo shows a "q" with the tail even shorter than the shorter of "q" and "b" (I forget which) in the roadgeek font.

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

you are right; the H is upside down.

also, one sign has "next 4 exits" in E, the other in EM.

how the fuck hard is it to set "print: copies = 2"??

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 09, 2013, 07:39:30 PM
the roadgeek implementation of EM has some very subtle differences between q and b, and between p and d.  on one half of each pair, the tail is just a tiny bit shorter.  I'd be prepared to ascribe that to rendering error more than any deliberate choice.

Are you sure this difference isn't present in the official specs?  b and d have "tails" that should only be ¼H beyond the loop height.  One would think that the p and q should then be limited to ¼H descenders, as well as g and y, but in practice, those letters seem to have tails that descend almost ½H below baseline.  Or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me when I look at those letters on actual signs...

hbelkins

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

They misspelled it a third way in the URL.

OracleUsr

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Big John

TCN7JM

You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

hbelkins

Since Kentucky uses demountable copy, that's an easy fix for someone with a bucket truck.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.