News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

Quote from: mefailenglish on May 26, 2014, 09:00:02 PM
These are scattered all over Port Clinton OH.  Though I like the red, they lead the way to OH 53, not US 53.

Ah yes, nice pic. I've always thought those were interesting.

formulanone

Quote from: mefailenglish on May 26, 2014, 09:00:02 PM
These are scattered all over Port Clinton OH.  Though I like the red, they lead the way to OH 53, not US 53.

Partying like it's 1993...Sort of.

Quote from: gilpdawg on June 01, 2014, 07:55:10 PM
US and IN shields are switched, besides the fact the sign looks jacked up anyway.

Double oops.

Brandon

Quote from: formulanone on June 02, 2014, 03:00:09 PM
Quote from: gilpdawg on June 01, 2014, 07:55:10 PM
US and IN shields are switched, besides the fact the sign looks jacked up anyway.

Double oops.

For a minute, it looked like Iowa brought back US-38.  Then I saw it's in Indiana, and the sign is completely fucked.  Switched US and SR numbers and wrong SR shield (should be a square).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

gilpdawg

Haha...I didn't even notice that it was the wrong state shield because I was so focused on the wrong 38 one.

LG-D800

mefailenglish

Technically erroneous, since the route has been decommissioned west of Dallas TX, but it's nice to see US 80 in Deming NM:

CNGL-Leudimin

Just slap a Historic banner, then it should be right again :sombrero:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cjk374

Quote from: mefailenglish on June 03, 2014, 12:10:33 AM
Technically erroneous, since the route has been decommissioned west of Dallas TX, but it's nice to see US 80 in Deming NM:

I love it!!  :love:  Bring old 80 back to San Diego!!   :clap:   :bigass:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

myosh_tino

Quote from: cjk374 on June 07, 2014, 06:29:45 PM
Quote from: mefailenglish on June 03, 2014, 12:10:33 AM

I love it!!  :love:  Bring old 80 back to San Diego!!   :clap:   :bigass:

Unfortunately, bringing US 80 back to San Diego is impossible because route number duplication is not allowed in California.  :-(
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

freebrickproductions

ALDOT accidentally left off some words on the signs for the roads along I-565 in Huntsville, AL. They are both at the same exit.
The first one is at the Old Madison Pike overpass where they left off the word "Old". Just as a reference, Madison Pike begins one you reach the Madison city limit a little bit to the west.
Here it is on streetview.
The next one is over at the Bob Wallace Avenue/Sparkman Drive overpass. ALDOT managed to leave off the word "Bob" so they ended up giving the street the wrong name. This could be potentially confusing for anyone who doesn't live in the Huntsville area. Fortunately, the exit signs have the proper name. I also have a photo of this sign laying around on my external hard drive somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and post it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 09, 2014, 12:22:53 AM
The next one is over at the Bob Wallace Avenue/Sparkman Drive overpass. ALDOT managed to leave off the word "Bob" so they ended up giving the street the wrong name. This could be potentially confusing for anyone who doesn't live in the Huntsville area. Fortunately, the exit signs have the proper name. I also have a photo of this sign laying around on my external hard drive somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and post it.
Found my photo of it:

Sparkman Drive/Bob Wallace Drive by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SR669

Here's a pair of beauties I found in a shopping center on the north side of Winchester, VA. I'm not sure if they're VDOT's fault or not. Either way, this should be US 11, not SR 11.

Clinched:
I-64 (all but first 9 miles in MO), I-264 (VA), I-464, I-664, I-495 (DE)
US 113
VA 14, PA 33, VA 37, MD 53, VA 105, VA 134, VA 152, VA 164, VA 198, VA 199, VA 201, VA 216, VA 223, PA 248, VA 273, VA 306, VA 312, VA 321 (minus W&M roads), PA 378, WA 525, MD 636, PA 652, many SRs, etc...

jakeroot

Quote from: SR669 on June 09, 2014, 02:13:42 PM
Here's a pair of beauties I found in a shopping center on the north side of Winchester, VA. I'm not sure if they're VDOT's fault or not. Either way, this should be US 11, not SR 11.

^^^^

If those are in a parking lot, they are by far the best private directional signs I have ever seen (barring the US-SR mix-up).

amroad17

Those circle 11 signs look 100% better than the ones in Kentucky for our SR 11.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

Quote from: amroad17 on June 10, 2014, 03:11:35 AM
Those circle 11 signs look 100% better than the ones in Kentucky for our SR 11.

You must have gotten hold of a bad batch of KY 11 markers, because they look nearly identical to most I'm familiar with.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

amroad17

Some KY 11 markers have the 1's closer together than the one in the photo above.  I just like the look of that sign along with how it is mounted.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

1995hoo

Several of these in Fort Myers Beach. Did somebody simply sound out a mispronunciation?

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

I heard in Florida at some parking lot, there was a sign that said

ALL VIOLATORS
WILL BE
PROSTITUTED.

A security guard was there, and my friend told him about it. He said the guard laughed his head off. Then said he would replace it.  :clap:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.827442,-73.846577,3a,75y,83.26h,101.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sc2n0CtTekZPrMp79f-JRdA!2e0
Even though the Hutchinson River Parkway is for Passenger Cars Only, the roadway as suggested by the sign is not directly going there.  This is the EB I-278 ramp to both Zeraga Avenue and the Hutch where the roadway splits under the massive Bruckner Interchange.  The road to the left actually leads to Bruckner Boulevard which allows trucks and all vehicles.

It is actually premature to have that sign and up until some time ago it never was there.  In addition NYCDOT left out the word "River" for Hutchinson Parkway.  The proper name is Hutchinson River Parkway and out of the years I lived in the NYC area, never heard it called what is on the sign.  For short it was always "The Hutch" or its proper name.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman65 on June 19, 2014, 12:30:33 AM
NYCDOT left out the word "River" for Hutchinson Parkway.  The proper name is Hutchinson River Parkway and out of the years I lived in the NYC area, never heard it called what is on the sign.  For short it was always "The Hutch" or its proper name.

NYCDOT and NYSDOT seem to be prone lately to leaving out words like "river" or "state" in a road's name.  There are already many signs around NY with names like "Saw Mill Parkway," "Southern Parkway," "Bronx Parkway" or "Taconic Parkway," when decades of common usage would seem to dictate otherwise.  I guess this latest sign just conforms to the pattern.

IIRC exit B2 on the Thruway is signed as "Taconic State Parkway," but then the reassurance markers for the Long Island parkways all leave out the word "state."  Different agencies, yes, but no consistency.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PurdueBill

Seen two weeks ago and still there today on US 30 EB.  Replacement of a 2007 original-to-expressway sign that was knocked down. 

How does something like that get manufactured, delivered, and posted?

jakeroot

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 22, 2014, 11:16:16 PM
Seen two weeks ago and still there today on US 30 EB.  Replacement of a 2007 original-to-expressway sign that was knocked down. 

^^^

How does something like that get manufactured, delivered, and posted?

Damn. That could have been a great sign. But seriously, that might be top ten worst fuck-ups.

yakra

"I'm 37!"
"Wot?"
"I'm 37, I'm not blank!"
"Well I can't just call you route!"
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

agentsteel53

Quote from: jake on June 23, 2014, 12:19:20 AM

Damn. That could have been a great sign. But seriously, that might be top ten worst fuck-ups.

I think at best it would have turned out a pretty standard sign.  but yes, the absence of a number is a problem.

regarding the red US53s: Arialveticverstesk, anyone!?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Saw a temporary detour sign on I-71 in Ohio with no numbers, as well. I think I posted in this thread, too. I guess they meant "this goes to  the state road instead".

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.