News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on June 23, 2014, 02:53:01 PM

Well, there's obviously a secondary route that can be reached by going that direction... :P
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

I think that's doubly erroneous. Best I can remember, VA 114 ends there at US 460. I took that picture 10 years ago, it may look different now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

This signage is still the same in July 2012 GMSV, but the road that frontages along US 460 WB from VA 114 to SR 642 is finally posted in the field as SR 845.

Mapmikey

rickmastfan67

We have a new US Highway out there.

Say hello to US-228 in PA.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.322249,-74.80337,3a,75y,90h,88.29t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sUFDE4nB10iEkQxpGonXvqg!2e0  US 209 in Milford, PA has been demoted to PA 209.  I am guessing that if NYSDOT could do it and sign it as NY 209 in some places so can PennDOT, however its funny as they did get US 6 right.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadsguy

Street View won't show it, and I didn't get a picture, but in the recent reconstruction of this segment of US 22, the signage at this intersection was changed. It doesn't say East US 22 anymore, assuming you turn left. Now it has two signs saying East 22 Left, West 22 Right. The error, though, is that both are PA 22 signs, just like this one here that apparently still existed as recently as 2009. (Is it still there?)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on July 02, 2014, 09:50:12 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.322249,-74.80337,3a,75y,90h,88.29t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sUFDE4nB10iEkQxpGonXvqg!2e0  US 209 in Milford, PA has been demoted to PA 209.  I am guessing that if NYSDOT could do it and sign it as NY 209 in some places so can PennDOT, however its funny as they did get US 6 right.

That's been there a good long while.

Alex4897

DE 1 South approaching US 9 /  BUS US 9 / DE 404 / DE 23 / DE 1D / ALT DE 24
(how many routes can we cram into one set of intersections)

Nice try DE 9, we don't need you or your non-existant business routes adding more signed routes here.
👉😎👉

formulanone

Not sure if they're still up, but I found these south of Montgomery about a year ago...should be To US 31.

Three times a charm!

hbelkins

Two questions:

1.) What's wrong with the signs being replaced? They look fine to me.

2.) Why the need for a new set of posts? Why not mount the new sign on the existing posts?

formulanone

I couldn't figure out why, either...it didn't seem as if there were plans to modify the exit ramps, repave the surface, or anything like that. Only the last one appears to have fallen/knocked down at some point, but appears okay. What's rather funny is that they made the same mistake three times, with the extant sign in the middle showing the correct shield.

Also, the "AL 65" shield I posted about six months ago has been modified with a tiny AL 69 shield with a huge black border. It was too dark to get a good photo.

jeffandnicole

How are the posts mounted to/into the ground?  If they aren't the proper 'breakaway' posts, then that could explain the reasoning behind the new assemblies.

Scott5114

A lot of times replacements when there's nothing obviously wrong with the sign are due to the sign not meeting reflectivity requirements, or from a policy of replacing signs every X years because the design life of the sheeting indicates that the sign most likely does not meet reflectivity requirements.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 09, 2014, 02:35:43 PM
How are the posts mounted to/into the ground?  If they aren't the proper 'breakaway' posts, then that could explain the reasoning behind the new assemblies.

It also looks like the old one at the exit itself is a bit shorter than the new one in front of it.

Also, minus the error shield, I really like the new signs. They look to be laid out very well and clean.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

We actually have people go out and check reflectivity of signs, and signs that don't meet standards are replaced.. Seems that would be more economical than a wholesale replacement every X years whether the signs need to be replaced or not.

rickmastfan67

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

JoePCool14

Now, that is just funny.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Zeffy on May 23, 2014, 09:28:12 AM
New street sign... and looks like they reversed the 'D' and the 'R'... it's Amwell Rd:pan:

There is also one on the opposite side heading south with the same mistake. These signs are a new install because I just used this road a week ago and did not see these.

This has since been fixed:

(color enhanced for clarity)

Unless of course it was correct on the northern side and still incorrect on the southern side...

WNYroadgeek

http://goo.gl/maps/Ei0HH

Should be NY 225 South, not East.

EDIT: Signage on other direction of NY 352 has the same problem: http://goo.gl/maps/Gv0Ep

roadman65

Both attractions are at Exit 75A, yet this message has been there longer than I have lived in Florida.  It has been copied a few times over and still it keeps informing motorists with each new sign that the popular water park is at the Sand Lake Road exit.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on July 14, 2014, 01:07:12 PM
Both attractions are at Exit 75A, yet this message has been there longer than I have lived in Florida.  It has been copied a few times over and still it keeps informing motorists with each new sign that the popular water park is at the Sand Lake Road exit.

I know absolutely nothing about the geographic features of Orlando, but I do know that sometimes, to prevent large amounts of traffic going down one exit, sometimes DOT will have drivers use another exit to help equal out the traffic to prevent backups, even if it's significantly longer.

Would you support this theory?

roadman65

It would make sense if it were not for the fact that using Exit 74A will put you on International Drive which already has more than its share of traffic.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 12, 2014, 05:15:10 PM
This has since been fixed:

(color enhanced for clarity)

Unless of course it was correct on the northern side and still incorrect on the southern side...

From what I can remember yesterday, it is indeed fixed on both sides. I wonder who informed them? (I meant to, but like many other things, it slipped my mind.)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.