News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

A yellow diamond with "<==>" on it!

Started by txstateends, September 15, 2013, 04:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

I've passed by this sign before but I keep forgetting about it.  I tried twice over the weekend to take a good shot of it, but neither came out good. So I'll try the GSV way:
http://goo.gl/maps/zcIun

This is north of downtown Dallas; not a T-intersection, more like a Y-shape.  It has an older post, with an older no parking sign (the kind with NO in white in a red box in the upper left corner) above it.  I don't think the diamond sign is very reflective now, if at all.

GSV shows a left chevron to the left of the diamond sign, but in my pix, it's no longer there.  There's a neighborhood watch sign on that pole now.

I would guess the rectangular "<===>" sign is probably in order here, if not that yellow diamond with the 2 angled arrows used at splits/gores that is either used downward or upward.

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Indyroads

These are very common in the Sacramento area at T intersections.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

US71

Used to very common in the Chicago area at one time. I have found one in Arkansas south of Fort Smith:

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

route56

From Rural Ottawa County, December 2004.

21439 by richiekennedy56, on Flickr
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

TEG24601

While in the US it is much more common to use the Yellow Rectangle sign with the double arrows, this is usually the standard in Canada, with or without a checkerboard pattern.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

getemngo

Quote from: TEG24601 on September 15, 2013, 10:13:08 PM
While in the US it is much more common to use the Yellow Rectangle sign with the double arrows, this is usually the standard in Canada, with or without a checkerboard pattern.

Been wondering for a while now how this one made its away across the river from Canada! It's not quite as faded as Google makes it look, but it's still pretty old.
~ Sam from Michigan

Brian556

I've seen several of these, on rural roads. There ustawas one at eh intersection of Cooper Creek/ Silver Dome roads N of Denton. It's not visable in streetview, but was there as of 2010. It was tied to the fence with balin' wire.

There is a relatively new (2005-2008)diamond shaped single arrow sign where a residential street approaches the city yard entrance in Denton:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.22288,-97.118877&spn=0.000009,0.00626&t=h&layer=c&cbll=33.22288,-97.118877&panoid=EuHOFoBMobxzx0Sq007okw&cbp=12,280.8,,0,0&z=18

A long time ago, there was one at Shady Shores Rd/ Garza Rd in Shady Shores. It had red mini-reflectors on the arrow. They appeared to be an after-market addition to the sign.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on September 16, 2013, 12:45:57 AM
A yellow diamond with "!" on it!

Do the cattle actually obey the sign and stop? :p
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Yes, but it is in New Zealand, not the US or Canada.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Big John

Quote from: US71 on September 16, 2013, 10:00:34 AM

Do the cattle actually obey the sign and stop? :p
The one on the left isn't.

Henry

Quote from: US71 on September 15, 2013, 05:23:08 PM
Used to very common in the Chicago area at one time. I have found one in Arkansas south of Fort Smith:

Two interesting signs here! I had to LOL at the one on the bottom  :rofl:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on September 16, 2013, 12:48:23 PM

I'll keep an eye out for "!" signs that say "VEHICLE STOP." I assume that this sign establishes your car has precedence over the cattle, who will stop for you at this location, but not necessarily at the next such location.

hbelkins

Doesn't that imply that the cattle can read the signs and know to stop for traffic?

It's like that infamous phone call to a radio station where the woman is complaining about the placement of deer crossing signs.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Steve on September 16, 2013, 09:50:07 PM
Quote from: Brandon on September 16, 2013, 12:48:23 PM

I'll keep an eye out for "!" signs that say "VEHICLE STOP." I assume that this sign establishes your car has precedence over the cattle, who will stop for you at this location, but not necessarily at the next such location.
I would interpret the sign as "This is a place where cattle often stop, so make sure you don't run into one." Is there something that would cause them to congregate there, such as a water source?
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Alps

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 17, 2013, 11:55:57 AMI would interpret the sign as "This is a place where cattle often stop, so make sure you don't run into one." Is there something that would cause them to congregate there, such as a water source?
The sign.

ET21

I saw one of those down the street from me for the longest time. It was replaced 3 years ago with a T-Junction sign
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Steve on September 17, 2013, 08:04:21 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 17, 2013, 11:55:57 AMI would interpret the sign as "This is a place where cattle often stop, so make sure you don't run into one." Is there something that would cause them to congregate there, such as a water source?
The sign.
New Zealand cattle are obviously much smarter than Colorado cattle.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

theline

Quote from: hbelkins on September 17, 2013, 11:16:28 AM
Doesn't that imply that the cattle can read the signs and know to stop for traffic?

It's like that infamous phone call to a radio station where the woman is complaining about the placement of deer crossing signs.  :bigass:

I don't know about a woman calling a radio station, but a man from Crown Point, IN wrote a letter to the editor with that complaint: http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinion/mailbag/article_c3a6319b-8e09-5a70-8814-e1c56d754a9b.html
QuoteA lot of deer get hit by cars west of Crown Point on U.S. 231. There are too many cars to have the deer crossing here. The deer crossing sign needs to be moved to a road with less traffic.
- Tim Abbott, Crown Point

It's unclear whether Mr. Abbott may have been pulling our legs: http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/deercrossing.asp

Mr. Matté

In the Assunpink Wildlife Management Area, Upper Freehold Twp., NJ.

Alps

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 21, 2013, 02:28:50 PM

East Branch and Eldridge Roads? Every other T intersection is on Street View.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Steve on September 23, 2013, 11:28:04 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 21, 2013, 02:28:50 PM
East Branch and Eldridge Roads? Every other T intersection is on Street View.

That'd be it.

agentsteel53

Sacramento County, CA uses the yellow diamond with double-headed arrow.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.