News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

A question of road safety

Started by gibranalnn, December 23, 2014, 06:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gibranalnn

Hi,
As a movieholic my mom always watches Hollywood movies/US TV series that include driving, roads, US Highways and Interstate highways. In a movie my mom saw a scene where kids are prohibited to use the front passenger seat. Is this true that there is a regulation that kids under 12 years old are prohibited to use front seat in the US?
Tokufan, mecha enthusiast, transport, architecture and cityplanning fan from Jakarta.

myosh_tino

Quote from: gibranalnn on December 23, 2014, 06:47:30 PM
Hi,
As a movieholic my mom always watches Hollywood movies/US TV series that include driving, roads, US Highways and Interstate highways. In a movie my mom saw a scene where kids are prohibited to use the front passenger seat. Is this true that there is a regulation that kids under 12 years old are prohibited to use front seat in the US?

I know that child safety seats are not to be installed in the front passenger seat because if the airbag were to deploy, it would seriously injure if not kill the child.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

gibranalnn

^^ well, airbags are now in EVERY US car right?
Tokufan, mecha enthusiast, transport, architecture and cityplanning fan from Jakarta.

sipes23

When I had a pickup, I had a manual shut off for the passenger airbag and my daughter rode up there for the first 3 1/2 years of her life. And that was ok. If it hadn't been ok, I'm sure the cops at the police department directly across the street would have said something to me sooner or later.

But yes, in standard passenger cars, no one under 12.

SignGeek101

When I was 5, I remember sitting in the front seat a few times. It was rare; only when my dad picked me up from school. My house was less than 1 km away on a quiet residential street, so it didn't really matter much. I see kids sitting in the front seat periodically.

It's also 12 where I live.

vdeane

I used to sit in the front passenger seat all the time... up until 1997 or so when my parents bought a car with airbags.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Hi,

Laws like that are state laws in the U.S., so they vary from state to state.  In Washington, kids of 12 or under must use the back seat unless it's unavailable (all back seats taken by large cargo or other kids or the car is a 2-seater).

The Nature Boy

AAA has a list of state laws regarding this:

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/child-passenger-safety/

I'm surprised at how few states specifically have laws that address this actually.

dfwmapper

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 24, 2014, 09:56:43 PM
I'm surprised at how few states have nanny laws.
FTFY

If you're too stupid to keep your kids from dying in a car crash because your airbag smashed their heads into the seat, then it's probably good for the gene pool that they won't live long enough to reproduce.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 25, 2014, 04:15:12 AM
FTFY

If you're too stupid to keep your kids from dying in a car crash because your airbag smashed their heads into the seat, then it's probably good for the gene pool that they won't live long enough to reproduce.

Not to get political but children deserve the protection of the state if their parent is too stupid to provide it. Even New Hampshire mandates wearing a seat belt for children under 18.

It'd be nanny state if we banned adults from the front seat, children are an entirely different matter.

SSOWorld

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 25, 2014, 10:56:46 AM
FTFY

Not to get political but children deserve the protection of the state if their parent is too stupid to provide it. Even New Hampshire mandates wearing a seat belt for children under 18.

It'd be nanny state if we banned adults from the front seat, children are an entirely different matter.
I agree to a point.  Most states are already nanny states.  but that's a different topic for a different forum.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

Children should not have to live with the negative consequences of their parent's choices (for that matter, nobody should have to live with the negative consequences of anyone's choices).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

FTFY

It's hard not to sound judgmental in responding to this, but you have to be in a pretty dark place to find a silver lining in kids getting killed in a car crash. 

TEG24601

Quote from: kkt on December 24, 2014, 09:40:13 PM
Hi,

Laws like that are state laws in the U.S., so they vary from state to state.  In Washington, kids of 12 or under must use the back seat unless it's unavailable (all back seats taken by large cargo or other kids or the car is a 2-seater).

It may be the law, but I have never seen it enforced, and been told by officers that they would never enforce it unless there is a compelling reason too.  Just like how they are refusing to enforce 594.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: vdeane on December 25, 2014, 01:25:18 PM
Children should not have to live with the negative consequences of their parent's choices (for that matter, nobody should have to live with the negative consequences of anyone's choices).

Agreed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 25, 2014, 04:18:11 PM
It's hard not to sound judgmental in responding to this, but you have to be in a pretty dark place to find a silver lining in kids getting killed in a car crash.

Also agreed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kendancy66

In my car the front seat has a sensor that automatically turns the airbag off when the seat occupant weighs under a certain amount like 50 pounds. Even when I put my backpack in the front seat the sensor activates

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.