News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads/Highways referred to by a name/number other that what is signed

Started by TEG24601, January 24, 2015, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 16, 2015, 09:42:09 AM
A map NE2 posted in the New Jersey Turnpike thread prompted me to think of the Bay Ridge neighborhood in Brooklyn. The street referred to as Bay Ridge Avenue on the road signs and subway map is universally known as 69th Street locally. If you call it "Bay Ridge Avenue," a lot of residents won't realize where you mean.
It is like Avenue of The Americas never being accepted by New Yorkers either.  If you call it that, many who live in the City will not know what you are talking about.  However, people from New Jersey would call it by the right name because we were always unaware of the revolt in name by New Yorkers.

At least NYCDOT fixed it by signing both names now, or should I say for the past three decades now.  Sorry when you guys hit 30, time will fly by so fast.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

The (infamous) corridor in D.C. and Maryland of I-295/D.C. 295/Md. 201/Baltimore-Washington Parkway (federal)/Md. 295 (B-W Parkway (state-maintained)) is frequently messed-up.

The D.C. part is often referred to as I-295, even north of the I-695 interchange, where it is a "state" route.

The short part of Md. 201 that is part of the corridor is often called "Route 295," even though it is not.

The federal part of the B-W Parkway is called "295," even though it is not signed that way. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 25, 2015, 05:01:02 PM
The (infamous) corridor in D.C. and Maryland of I-295/D.C. 295/Md. 201/Baltimore-Washington Parkway (federal)/Md. 295 (B-W Parkway (state-maintained)) is frequently messed-up.

The D.C. part is often referred to as I-295, even north of the I-695 interchange, where it is a "state" route.

The short part of Md. 201 that is part of the corridor is often called "Route 295," even though it is not.

The federal part of the B-W Parkway is called "295," even though it is not signed that way.

In addition, nobody refers to I-695 as the McKeldin Beltway. It is always referred to as the Baltimore Beltway, when needed to distinguish it from the other Beltway, or as "The Beltway" the rest of the time.

roadman65

Many non road geeks calls the entire length of the Turnpike as I-95 when its not.

Then there is those who call I-78 in Jersey City en approach to the Holland Tunnel as one and nine. 

How about NJ 495 still being called Route 3 by many. 

Then there are some ignorant people in Central Florida who call the part of Orange Blossom Trail in Kissimmee, FL that is not part of US 441 as still being Highway 441.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pink Jazz

In Hampton Roads, Virginia, it seems that many still refer to the I-264 section east of the I-64 interchange in Norfolk as "Route 44" or "The Expressway".

Thing 342

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 25, 2015, 09:33:15 PM
In Hampton Roads, Virginia, it seems that many still refer to the I-264 section east of the I-64 interchange in Norfolk as "Route 44" or "The Expressway".
Really? Having lived in the region for nearly 13 years, I don't think I've ever heard someone call it that.

froggie

You're probably too young to remember, but 44 went away in 2001.  But in my two stints stationed there, I never heard it called "The Expressway" either.  "264" was in standard nomenclature by ca. 2005.

Mapmikey

I seem to recall it being referred to a lot as the Virginia Beach Toll Road or the Virginia Beach Expressway in the early 1990s...

Mike

ekt8750

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 26, 2015, 11:35:08 AM
I seem to recall it being referred to a lot as the Virginia Beach Toll Road or the Virginia Beach Expressway in the early 1990s...

Mike

I lived down there as a kid in the early 90s and always remembered people just call it 44.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.