News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

50K+ urban areas not connected to the Interstate system by four-lane highways

Started by NE2, February 28, 2015, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

From the June 1983 AHTD meeting:
QuoteWHEREAS, the chief purpose of the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways is to build an interconnected system of high quality roads linking the nation's major population centers and defense establishments; and
WHEREAS, there are only 41 urbanized areas of over 50,000 population in the nation which are not on the Interstate System and are not connected to the system by a 4-lane divided highway; and WHEREAS, Arkansas contains one such urbanized area, the Fayetteville-Springdale Urbanized Area; and
WHEREAS, the Fayetteville-Springdale Urbanized Area's main connection to the Interstate System is the existing 2-lane Highway 71; and WHEREAS, due to funding restraints the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department is limited to making only spot improvements to the existing route; and
WHEREAS, the costs of the needed new 4-lane divided facility far outstrip the Department's State and Federal funding sources; and
WHEREAS, a major dedicated funding program is needed to ensure construction of a usable length of new highway, made difficult by the rugged terrain and remote system of feeder routes.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Director is authorized to work with the State's Legislators and Congressional Delegation and with the other States who have unserved urbanized areas to seek special funding for connecting all urbanized areas to the Interstate System with a minimum of 4-lane divided highways.
Anyone know if such a law was passed? How many current urban areas have no four-lane access to the Interstate system? All I can find above 70K on a quick look are Seaside-Monterey, CA, Chico, CA, Bend, OR and Lebanon, PA.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Ithaca, NY just barely reaches the 50000 requirement.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

TEG24601

Well, that would easily include both Hillsboro and Beaverton in Oregon, and give an excuse for at least renumbering US 26 as either I-505 or an extension of I-84.  Each are around 70k.

Bremerton, WA's metro area, including the bases and Port Orchard are just over 50K, which would provide a great excuse for either moving I-705 to SR 16/3 or replacing SR 3 with I-3.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

NE2

Quote from: TEG24601 on February 28, 2015, 02:53:58 PM
:banghead:
This is about four-lane connections...

(Also, Hillsboro and Beaverton are part of the Portland urban area.)

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TEG24601

Quote from: NE2 on February 28, 2015, 02:57:25 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on February 28, 2015, 02:53:58 PM
:banghead:
This is about four-lane connections...

(Also, Hillsboro and Beaverton are part of the Portland urban area.)

I guess I misread the question, I was reading missing Interstate connections.

In that case, Whidbey Island, population 50k+, 24 hour connection, a two lane bridge, build in 1932. :)
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

TheCatalyst31

It wasn't anywhere near 50k people in 1983, but would Lake Havasu City, AZ count? While it's only about 10 miles from I-40, the only connection to it is via AZ 95, which isn't a four-lane highway.

NE2

Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on February 28, 2015, 03:33:13 PM
It wasn't anywhere near 50k people in 1983, but would Lake Havasu City, AZ count? While it's only about 10 miles from I-40, the only connection to it is via AZ 95, which isn't a four-lane highway.
Yes, that counts (check the list). The Census's definition of urban area isn't perfect (you get weird exurban clumps such as Deltona, FL or Avondale-Goodyear, AZ due to a bit of separation from the main urban area), but for population it's a lot more meaningful than city limits or MSAs (which are restricted to entire counties, so Barstow, Needles, and Yucca Valley are forced to be with San Berdoo).

Quote from: TEG24601 on February 28, 2015, 03:02:51 PM
In that case, Whidbey Island, population 50k+, 24 hour connection, a two lane bridge, build in 1932. :)
And mostly rural.

Brandon

Going through the list, other than the ones already mentioned,

Kahului, HI - special case, would require nothing short of an engineering miracle to connect even to I-H1.

There's quite a few just below 50,000 on the mircopolitian area list such as Del Rio, TX and Freeport, IL, and a few above 50,000 such as Eagle Pass, TX and Marquette, MI.  Just how urban these micropolitan areas may be is up for debate though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Micropolitan areas (which are restricted to entire counties) are not comparable to urban areas. Try the "urban clusters": http://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/reference/ua/ua_list_uc.txt

SectorZ

Lynn, MA, the population is just around 90K, but also has a border within a mile of I-95.

NE2

Quote from: Cjzani on February 28, 2015, 09:26:13 PM
Lynn, MA, the population is just around 90K, but also has a border within a mile of I-95.
Did you read anything before posting this?

bing101

Fresno,Ca is the Largest city in California not connected to an interstate. They are dependent on CA-99 for agriculture traffic.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresno

NE2

kphoger

I'm having a good LOL trying to picture @NE2's face getting all red and frustrated. It's not easy since I have no idea what he looks like.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Zephyrhills, Florida is another (between 50K [thread title] and 70K [later mentioned]) doesn't quite have a full-length 4-lane connection to any interstate.

A bit pedantic, since one can take either FL 54 or US 301 and get to I-75. To be honest, I had no idea 66,000+ lived in that area; it always seems quite sleepy. Probably counts nearly the whole of Pasco County now that I think about it.

SD Mapman

Quote from: NE2 on February 28, 2015, 12:02:17 PM
Anyone know if such a law was passed? How many current urban areas have no four-lane access to the Interstate system? All I can find above 70K on a quick look are Seaside-Monterey, CA, Chico, CA, Bend, OR and Lebanon, PA.
Now I think Walla Walla, WA would work, but I have no idea what would define as the "urban area", as the wiki list had like 55k and the town population is 37k.

And just to help,
WHEREAS, there are only 41 urbanized areas of over 50,000 population in the nation which are not on the Interstate System and are not connected to the system by a
4-lane divided highway;
Can this be made any more obvious?
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

corco

NE2

I've gone through more systematically and come up with the current list (excluding Alaska and islands), along with 1980 population (pp. 236-248):

*276 Seaside-Monterey, CA (115K)
*306 Chico, CA (52K)
*344 Bend, OR (N/A - 17K in city limits)
*366 Lebanon, PA (N/A - 3K in city limits, but that's not in any way comparable to the urban area) (technically disqualified, since the urban area stretches north to US 22)
*394 Porterville, CA (N/A - 20K in city limits)
*412 Wenatchee, WA (N/A - 17K in city limits)
*415 Zephyrhills, FL (N/A - 6K in city limits, but that's not in any way comparable to the urban area)
*448 Pittsfield, MA (58K)
*464 Walla Walla, WA-OR (N/A - 26K in city limits)
*473 Ithaca, NY (N/A - 3K in city limits)
*476 Lake Havasu City, AZ (N/A - 16K in city limits)
*483 Lewiston, ID-WA (N/A - 28K in city limits)

This means Seaside-Monterey was the largest back then to never receive four-lane access (and still is the largest).

SectorZ

Quote from: NE2 on February 28, 2015, 09:28:15 PM

Sorry I bothered your sensitivities, it's a city of 50K people, 15+ miles from Boston, that has no 4 lane connection to an interstate. Call it "Metro Boston" if you like, but when it takes an hour to get from one to another it's barely part of Boston to me.

NE2

Quote from: Cjzani on March 01, 2015, 02:33:50 PM

Sorry I bothered your sensitivities, it's a city of 50K people, 15+ miles from Boston, that has no 4 lane connection to an interstate.
Where does 1A go down to two lanes south of Lynn?

SectorZ

Quote from: NE2 on March 01, 2015, 02:42:48 PM

Sorry I bothered your sensitivities, it's a city of 50K people, 15+ miles from Boston, that has no 4 lane connection to an interstate.
Where does 1A go down to two lanes south of Lynn?

Could've just corrected my mistake the first time.

NE2

Your mistake was in treating Lynn separately. By any definition it's part of the Boston urban area.

Pete from Boston

Sorry I bothered your sensitivities, it's a city of 50K people, 15+ miles from Boston, that has no 4 lane connection to an interstate. Call it "Metro Boston" if you like, but when it takes an hour to get from one to another it's barely part of Boston to me.

It can take an hour at rush hour, but other than that, you're doing it wrong.

In any case, it's "inside 128," which is all Metro Boston as a given.  Between there and 495 you could debate a few towns, but the way these definition work, not many.

TheCatalyst31

Porterville, CA seems to qualify. It even has its own four-lane expressway (CA 65), it just drops to two lanes once you get far enough away from the area.

I think Lompoc, CA qualifies too, but those are the only other ones in California.

NE2

Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on March 01, 2015, 09:15:41 PM
I think Lompoc, CA qualifies too, but those are the only other ones in California.
SR 1-135 appears to be four lanes all the way to Santa Maria and US 101. Not the most direct connection, but it's there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.