News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2di Rankings Released

Started by Grzrd, March 09, 2015, 07:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

This Feb. 20, 2015 blog ranks the 66 2dis.  Coming in at #66 is ...........

I-95 !!!!!!

corco

Why is I-86 in Idaho only ranked 30/66? What the hell are these rankings? What methodology causes that interstate to have a midrange score? Who are these people?

I-90 as winner is acceptable.

jeffandnicole

I didn't bother reading beyond the first 3. 

I-95: They mention the tolls in Delaware & NJ, as in if you don't get lost, you won't pay tolls. Even if you track 95 as best as possible thru the gap, you're still paying tolls!

I-4: Is it still haunted, or was this an issue in 1961?

I-97: Here's the entire justification: "The shortest interstate in the country is the second busiest. On the plus side, it passes a town called Glen Burnie."  Huh?

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

oscar

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 09, 2015, 08:25:42 PM
I-4: Is it still haunted, or was this an issue in 1961?

No mention of the "hewa" (curse) on Interstate H-3, since the list is limited to lower-48 Interstates. The alleged funny stuff on H-3 all happened during construction, seems to have died down once the freeway was completed.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

DeaconG

As far as what I read on that site and it's rankings, I think this encapsulates it quite well:

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/LQCU36pkH7c"
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

SD Mapman

Quote from: corco on March 09, 2015, 08:03:29 PM
I-90 as winner is acceptable.
Yes it is. It's also nice to have I-29 further down the list.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

NE2

I'd rather read 50 Shades.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kurumi

46) I-84 PA/NY/MA ("Freedom From NYC Trail"): Hey, that list is missing CT. (That's OK: a list of modern, relevant mapping services won't include Mapquest.)

No comments on the ranking ("we hate I-95", then a bunch of random slop, then some worthy scenic/important routes at the end). But it's also missing H1, 2 and 3.

At least it wasn't a 66-page slide show.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

pianocello

It's funny that they named I-88 (IL) "The Hillside Strangler" that was (a) fixed* and (b) arguably more known for its impact on I-290 than I-88.

*still not perfect, but it's better than it used to be.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

bing101

I-5, I-10, I-80 and I-95 are my picks for top interstates 2di.

SteveG1988

42) I-57 ("Somebody Really Hates the Arch")

Route: 386 miles, Chicago to SE Missouri
Traffic Rating: 1.70

This gets our award for Interstate Most Likely Not to Exist in Our Doppelganger Universe. It's not busy. It connects Chicago to soy farms. And by skipping St. Louis altogether it trims only a few miles from the parallel I-55 between Memphis and Chicago.

Yeah...it does only trim a "few" miles, but it also takes you through less traffic along the way by bypassing a lot of stuff.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

I'm pretty sure MapQuest at one point provided directions in such a way that every street that intersected the NJ Turnpike was treated as a normal intersection, allowing motorists to enter anywhere.

Henry

Quote from: bing101 on March 10, 2015, 10:47:36 AM
I-5, I-10, I-80 and I-95 are my picks for top interstates 2di.
And I-90 as well.

It's shocking that I-95 is not even in the Top 10!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: SteveG1988 on March 10, 2015, 11:44:56 AM
42) I-57 ("Somebody Really Hates the Arch")

Route: 386 miles, Chicago to SE Missouri
Traffic Rating: 1.70

This gets our award for Interstate Most Likely Not to Exist in Our Doppelganger Universe. It's not busy. It connects Chicago to soy farms. And by skipping St. Louis altogether it trims only a few miles from the parallel I-55 between Memphis and Chicago.

Yeah...it does only trim a "few" miles, but it also takes you through less traffic along the way by bypassing a lot of stuff.

And I'm very sure that UIUC kind of likes having the freeway connection to Chicagoland.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Route: 887 miles, Gary, Indiana to Mobile, Alabama
Traffic Rating: 2.64
In 2007, the Chicago Bears lost to the Indianapolis Colts in the so-called "I-65 Super Bowl," named for this connection between the cities. It was a fairly dull game. And this is a fairly dull road.

No shit it's a dull road, that's what happens when you plant it through farmland and it's northern terminus faces a smelly industrialized area  :rolleyes:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 10, 2015, 12:30:28 PM
I'm pretty sure MapQuest at one point provided directions in such a way that every street that intersected the NJ Turnpike was treated as a normal intersection, allowing motorists to enter anywhere.
That must've been a very early edition of MapQuest.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zzonkmiles

The stated methodology is:

"To help, we turned to algebra, and created a "traffic rating" based on vehicle travel miles per mile of interstate (1.0 is least busy, 5.0 the most). We weigh that against the general joy of the ride as a whole, often rewarding longer highways–the true "interstates"–or thematic regional rides, over mere connectors to suburbs or coastal towns."

I realize that I-95 north of Richmond can be seriously unpleasant because of the traffic, but once you get to Georgia, the drive is quite pleasant. And plus, given all the travelers heading for Florida, the anticipation of crossing state lines further and further south is quite satisfying. To rank this as the worst interstate is a joke. I mean, I-97, I-12 and I-99 were all deemed better? Hell, even I-73 and I-74 were ranked significantly higher. Really?

This dude should hand over his road geeking license.

The Nature Boy

I-95's economic importance alone should get it into the top 10. It passes through every major northeastern metro area and provides a connection between the BosWash corridor and South Florida. Once I-495 is complete in NC, it'll connect to Raleigh/Durham via a 3di.

vdeane

They're being ranked based on "how congested is the road" and "how good is the scenery", NOT "does this road have any numbering oddities or break the grid" or "how economically important is the road".  I'm guessing most roadgeeks prefer the latter criteria but most everyone else prefers the former, especially since most normal people don't give a crap about the grid.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Nature Boy

I-95 in Florida is pretty scenic. I assume the Maine section isn't bad either.

Other than that? Yeah, it's bad.

NE2

Quote from: vdeane on March 17, 2015, 05:06:01 PM
They're being ranked based on "how congested is the road" and "how good is the scenery", NOT "does this road have any numbering oddities or break the grid" or "how economically important is the road".
It's shit no matter what criteria were supposedly used. I-4 is second-worst because it's the "busiest interstate in the country" (I call bullshit, even among 2DIs if you compare apples to apples) and some paranormal idiots think it's haunted? I-26 is fourth-worst because an elephant was hanged nearby? I-69 is seventh-worst because it has numbering oddities and breaks the grid?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 17, 2015, 09:51:45 PM

Much of I-95 in Maine (and essentially all of it between Old Town and Houlton) is through desolate, and unpopulated land. 

Curiously, similar to much of I-95 across South Carolina.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Buck87

I thought this one was pretty funny:

31. I-77 ("Hootie Highway")

The only way Hootie & the Blowfish get into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame is by road trip. This one connects their hometown to the birthplace of "rock 'n' roll" in Cleveland.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 18, 2015, 06:00:15 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 17, 2015, 09:51:45 PM

Much of I-95 in Maine (and essentially all of it between Old Town and Houlton) is through desolate, and unpopulated land. 

Curiously, similar to much of I-95 across South Carolina.

I-95 through the Carolinas (both of them) is pretty boring. Fayetteville is the largest city that I-95 (barely) goes through along that whole stretch.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.