News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2di Rankings Released

Started by Grzrd, March 09, 2015, 07:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 18, 2015, 11:53:17 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 18, 2015, 06:00:15 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 17, 2015, 09:51:45 PM
I-95 in Florida is pretty scenic. I assume the Maine section isn't bad either.

Other than that? Yeah, it's bad.

Much of I-95 in Maine (and essentially all of it between Old Town and Houlton) is through desolate, and unpopulated land. 

Curiously, similar to much of I-95 across South Carolina.

I-95 through the Carolinas (both of them) is pretty boring. Fayetteville is the largest city that I-95 (barely) goes through along that whole stretch.

The NC stretch of I-95 is worse than the SC stretch IMO. The SC stretch goes over a large lake, has forested medians, and has generally more interesting scenery. When driving through NC from the VA border, I see Exit 180 and resign myself to 2.5 hours of frustration.

Ian

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 18, 2015, 06:00:15 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 17, 2015, 09:51:45 PM
I-95 in Florida is pretty scenic. I assume the Maine section isn't bad either.

Other than that? Yeah, it's bad.

Much of I-95 in Maine (and essentially all of it between Old Town and Houlton) is through desolate, and unpopulated land. 

If you're a fan of nothing but trees, trees, and more trees (with the occasional moose), I-95 in Maine is great. The 75 speed limit is pretty nice though. Maine is definitely the only state on I-95 where views like this with hardly any cars are common...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

kkt

JakeFromNewEngland

There is a section of I-95 in Maine where you can see Mount Katahdin and the surrounding mountains. It's absolutely beautiful.

The Nature Boy

Okay, I drove the entire length of I-95 in North Carolina today. Somewhere around mile marker 165, I started giving my riding companion a lecture on early North Carolina history. I tend to lecture on the history of places I drive through, probably why I often end up doing road trips alone.  I should've become a history teacher.

We also came to the consensus though that I-95 south of Richmond can be lumped into the Carolina vortex of I-95 suck.

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 20, 2015, 09:20:54 PM
We also came to the consensus though that I-95 south of Richmond can be lumped into the Carolina vortex of I-95 suck.

Sounds about right to me. From Richmond to Savannah (or more generously, the SC/GA border), this is generally an unpleasant road to drive. Not sure if it's the four lane issue or the lack of any significant metro areas or the poor road condition or the boring scenery or the fact that the road just drags on for about 370 miles through all of this nothingness is to blame.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.