News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Neglected" Interchanges

Started by peterj920, October 06, 2015, 09:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

Below is a picture of the I-39 and Cascade Mountain Road interchange near Portage, WI.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4958694,-89.4849778,579m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Notice how Cascade Mountain Road is in very bad shape in the interchange area along with the ramps to I-39.  The ramps also have 2 way traffic, which probably isn't up to interstate standards.  The I-39 mainline was rebuilt along with all of the other interchanges except this one.  The interchange probably has light traffic, but is in very poor shape.  Are there any other interchanges that are poorly maintained along interstates?

SteveG1988

I-295 to I-95 in Delaware. bumpy as bumpy can be.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

triplemultiplex

Quote from: peterj920 on October 06, 2015, 09:02:34 AM
Below is a picture of the I-39 and Cascade Mountain Road interchange near Portage, WI.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4958694,-89.4849778,579m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Notice how Cascade Mountain Road is in very bad shape in the interchange area along with the ramps to I-39.  The ramps also have 2 way traffic, which probably isn't up to interstate standards.  The I-39 mainline was rebuilt along with all of the other interchanges except this one.  The interchange probably has light traffic, but is in very poor shape.  Are there any other interchanges that are poorly maintained along interstates?

That particular interchange should be removed.  What little traffic it has can use WI 33 at 90/94 or 39.  I can't count the number of times I've drive by it over the years and I have never seen any vehicle using that interchange.  It's not the fastest way to the ski area that shares its name from any direction anyway so who is it for?  Not to mention the vacated ramps could be restored to wetlands that were filled in to build a useless interchange.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Billy F 1988

This roundabout is so pointless in Missoula's North Reserve corridor. Why the flying blue robin is it there to begin with?

Road in reference: Union Pacific Street about one block west of the Home Depot. I personally drove to that roundabout and supposedly, Missoula road engineers did think about putting another street to connect with Mullan Road but just didn't do it at all. If you're not going to put another street to connect Mullan Road, tear the roundabout out. It's pointless as is.

https://goo.gl/maps/qNNtdGJsw2B2
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

jakeroot

The Military Road/I-5 junction near SeaTac, Washington isn't really all that bad, but it still has a lot of original concrete, and it's quite noisy and bumpy.

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 08, 2015, 12:12:46 AM
This roundabout is so pointless in Missoula's North Reserve corridor. Why the flying blue robin is it there to begin with?

Road in reference: Union Pacific Street about one block west of the Home Depot. I personally drove to that roundabout and supposedly, Missoula road engineers did think about putting another street to connect with Mullan Road but just didn't do it at all. If you're not going to put another street to connect Mullan Road, tear the roundabout out. It's pointless as is.

Just because it hasn't been built yet, doesn't mean it won't some day come to fruition. And it would cost a ton of money to tear it out. If the city of Missoula stated, specifically, "Clark Fork Lane will never be connected north to Union Pacific Street", then I could see removing it. But as long as the possibility exists, there's little point in just tearing it out because the stub doesn't go anywhere right now.

Just so we're clear, it should be fairly obvious that the roundabout stub is meant to connect to Clark Fork Lane. I'm not 100% sure you realize this.

FWIW, there are a lot of roundabouts in the US with three legs, where one of the legs doesn't go anywhere (yet). This roundabout is hardly unique.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on October 08, 2015, 12:32:59 AM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 08, 2015, 12:12:46 AM
This roundabout is hardly unique.

In addition to the roundabout not being unique, it is neither neglected, nor is it an interchange...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

noelbotevera

I-81/PA 581 interchange near Harrisburg PA. Holy crap are the ramps bumpy, as is I-81 and PA 581 itself.

TEG24601

I-69/I-475 in Flint.  It is a 4-level stack Interchange, with not nearly enough traffic to warrant such a structure.  The roadways, when I lived there, were usually pock marked so badly, I often avoided any of the movements.

I-69/I-75 near Flint.  Similar to the above, with the giant flyover over the railroad, and again usually in poor shape.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

wanderer2575

Vining Road at I-94 in Romulus MI, near Detroit Metro Airport.  The road north of I-94 was built to entice commercial development, which has yet to happen.  I don't think the ramps or road have been touched since they were built and there are some seriously bumpy and potholed areas.

https://goo.gl/maps/sQ9jjpGDp2S2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.