News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AARoads topics in 1864

Started by Roadgeekteen, November 07, 2017, 09:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

People fighting in the civil war, how are the roads down south?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Takumi

I know, but 1864 was in the middle of the Civil War, so...

Don't @ me. Seriously.

adventurernumber1

"Oregon Trail Road Meet"

Reply # 1: I cannot make it, due to the fact that my horse is sick and my carriage is broken.

Reply # 2: Of all times, you choose this? I've got to go down and fight in the Civil War!  :verymad:

Reply # 3: I can't come, because I am involved in important new railroad planning.

Reply # 4: I can make it, but it will take a long while for me to get over there, as I am in New York City.

That is the only theoretical thread I can think of at the moment.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 07, 2017, 09:29:35 AM
?

Seriously, though, if you started this thread, you could have at least contributed something more than a question mark.  :-/

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

PHLBOS

Quote from: Takumi on November 07, 2017, 10:29:08 AM
I know, but 1864 was in the middle of the Civil War, so...
Blazing Saddles took place after the Civil War.  One early scene makes reference to blacks (I won't post the actual word used here) no longer being slaves.  And I believe a later scene (at the Governor's office) makes reference to the year being 1874.

Anyway; here's one applicable topic:

Which Railroads Will Become General Sherman's "Neck-ties/Hairpins"?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kurumi

Massachusetts update: Fall River has acquired the Fall River and Watuppa Turnpike and made it free! This is fallout from the state line change in 1861, where the turnpike, previously entirely in Rhode Island, now rests entirely in the Bay State.

But this is all part of a larger trend where the railroads are killing the turnpikes -- none of the franchises are making any money. Is the era of road transport coming to an end?

(Source: Frederic J. Wood's Turnpikes of New England, page 324)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bing101

Why wasn't California split into two states? If it did happen would the Civil War even take place.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on November 07, 2017, 11:19:39 AM
Why wasn't California split into two states? If it did happen would the Civil War even take place.

Just a guess:

California was the first state that did not touch any existing state. They could make it very large for this reason. It wasn't nearly as populous as some existing states when it was formed, so there was no reason to split it at the time.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

mgk920

Quote from: 1 on November 07, 2017, 11:23:43 AM
Quote from: bing101 on November 07, 2017, 11:19:39 AM

Just a guess:

California was the first state that did not touch any existing state. They could make it very large for this reason. It wasn't nearly as populous as some existing states when it was formed, so there was no reason to split it at the time.

In 1864, the discussion would be 'What is the best way to upgrade the connections between the capitol of that new state to the east (Carson City in high desert Nevada) and Sacramento and San Francisco once these problems out east are solved?'  That's a pretty rugged and dangerous pass in the Sierras along the way.

Mike

US71

I miss the Butterfield Overland Trail.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Your favorite ferry's on the Stockton-Los Angeles Road. 

Best wagon route to get over the Sierras.  Do any take you less than a month to cross?

Have the riches of the Comstock Lode been tapped?  Population declines in Virginia City seem to suggest that it is. 

renegade

Some people are just bored in school.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

kkt

How's construction going on the transcontinental railroad?  Where will the Union Pacific and Central Pacific meet?
What will all those Chinese laborers do when the railroad is done?

bing101

Why did California change its location of the State Capital?
Well this 1864 thread would end in conspiracies.

formulanone

Farriers you trust

Bordellos you’ve visited

Ever had a cattle drive interrupt your clinch?

Preferred Saddlebag Tanners

Favorite surface: dirt or grass

Planned Forum Outage: Telegraph line down

The Sorry State of Stage Coaches and Sedan Chairs of the 1820s, 1830s, and 1840s

Share your daguerreotypes of any signage

capt.ron

Beale Wagon Road gets a few upgrades! Hopefully they will build a bridge across the Colorado River so our wagons won't get stuck in the mire.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on November 07, 2017, 01:07:13 PM
Farriers you trust

Bordellos you've visited

Preferred Saddlebag Tanners

Favorite surface: dirt or grass

Planned Forum Outage: Telegraph line down

The Sorry State of Stage Coaches and Sedan Chairs of the 1820s, 1830s, and 1840s

Share your daguerreotypes of any signage

The funny thing is that I was on CA 4 heading over Ebbetts Pass to finish my clinch of the route last year.  When I was approaching Pacific Grade Summit there was an actual cattle drive blocking the road.  I got lucky and only had to wait 20 minutes for the herd to pass but it must have sucked for the westbound traffic that has to sit behind it for hours on end on a one-lane highway.  Suffice to say that would have been infinitely more common back in 1864. 

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 07, 2017, 01:53:06 PM

The funny thing is that I was on CA 4 heading over Ebbetts Pass to finish my clinch of the route last year.  When I was approaching Pacific Grade Summit there was an actual cattle drive blocking the road.  I got lucky and only had to wait 20 minutes for the herd to pass but it must have sucked for the westbound traffic that has to sit behind it for hours on end on a one-lane highway.  Suffice to say that would have been infinitely more common back in 1864. 

You win this thread. :)

Health tonic's on me next we meet.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on November 07, 2017, 02:36:19 PM

You win this thread. :)

Health tonic's on me next we meet.

Jedediah Smith would be proud, I really question the logic of a Transconntiental Railroad on Ebbetts Pass with those 24% grades.  Personally I think John Ebbetts might had some bad whisky down in Drytown.  :meh: Perhaps some good ole fashion switchbacks could be utilized?   I would imagine some of those 49er boys ought to be able to whip something up.

kkt

The railroad would have used a tunnel below the parts with a 24% grade.

froggie

That there are responses to this thread is an indication that we've run out of legit AARoads topics to talk about in 2017.  Of course, who the OP is certainly plays a factor...

Takumi

But the pedantry is at an all-time high!

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Passing a cattle drive on a one-lane road is indeed a nervous affair.  I've only ever had to do so one time, but the road was muddy and I was in a '95 Toyota Corolla.  Fortunately the gentleman driving the cattle had room down in the ditch for his four-wheeler and most of the cattle to fit, but I still had to ride the soft edge of the mud/dirt.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.